Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mac 10/9 vs Mac 11/9 vs AC556 vs Uzi machine guns

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)

Mac 10/9 vs Mac 11/9 vs AC556 vs Uzi machine guns

What do people think of the subject line guns?

The M10 & M11s with Lage uppers are amazingly modular. M11s can now fire 5.56mm. They’re also the cheapest at about $7k. Mags seem to be an issue.

I’ve never really liked UZIs. I’m not sure if I don’t know enough about them or what, but are they reliable? They just seem awfully big for a 9mm sub machine gun. At $12,000 they aren’t exactly cheap either considering $9,000 would get you a MAC and a nice Lage.

And then there’s the AC556. Converted Mini14s are about $9500 and AC556s are $12-14k. These are worrisome because parts seem hard to get and/or install if they wore out because who doesn’t totally plan on blasting until the barrel glows red at least once?
    Last edited by Eurodriver; 05-02-20 at 10:09.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I do not own a Mac-10/9 or ACC556, but I do own an M-11/9 and a Colt 614 (M-16). The M-11/9 with Max-11SK upper & CF-Wa bolt is very fun to shoot. Mag dumps while keeping the gun on target are an absolute joy for me. I struggle more keeping my M-16 on target while dumping a mag and it gets real hot real quick. I also own a Max-11s upper, but I don’t really use it. You also have the suomi drum uppers but the drums are becoming more expensive and harder to find, I don’t own that upper so I can’t really speak to it but plenty of people seem to love it.

I think the M-11/9 is the perfect entry transferable machine gun to buy if you are looking for a shooter and not buying it as a collector. Any of the Lage uppers would be fantastic but I like the S uppers for use with the CF-Wa tungsten bolts. The guy who makes these bolts makes them in runs and has seen demand die a lot, to the point he was saying he was done making them (but apparently demand for another run is there). Last I heard he’s waiting on tungsten from China to make another (possibly last run), so if you get an M-11/9, I’d recommend buying the tungsten bolt now if you can. I’d also make sure you get a Lage upper (along with other Lage parts) prior to the stamp clearing so you are ready to go, since these too are made in runs and are intermittently OOS.

Feedback Score
    My current thoughts:
    1. less than $10k, m11/9 with max11sk upper OR M11a1 with max31k upper.
    2. Over $10k: lightning link ($15k)

Mags are not an issue for the m11 guns if you stick with zmags.
    Make sure you research m11 varients as there are a lot, and you want to know what youre getting. There is the m11/9, m11a1 small magwell, and m11a1 large magwell.
    I have a tungsten bolt on order, no clue how long till they are done, but should drop rof from 1100-1200 to around 700. To be honest, the 1200 isnt bad with practice. Despite what everyone says, it’s manageable- I can keep all a/c zone hits at 10 yds and Ive only been out a handfull of times so far... but slower rof will make it much easier.

The max11sk will allow you to mount any silencer, an optic, light/laser, etc all easily. And its small and not very heavy.

Lastly, dont expect to be able to use flat tip or hp ammo. You may be able to, but it seems to be a toss-up. My factory upper was a hard no-go, the lage seems to work, but only had 20rds to try so far.

https://www.mac-11.info/

I dont read much on rll, so maybe theres a reason they are so cheap(no experience here), but for $15k, if I can have an auto AR instead of an ac555, Id do it.

Personally no interest in uzi, especially for the price (no way to change it much from factory, or mount stuff on it). No interest in mac10 because .45 prices. The only machineguns I would buy are 9mm, 556, and 308 (if I could afford to really shoot it).
    Last edited by MegademiC; 05-03-20 at 01:30.

Feedback Score
    44 (100%)
    The M11/Nine is the best deal now with Lage uppers. Get a Coffee Freak Tungsten bolt from Vegas SMG if you can. Get a .22 kit from Lage if you can, too. Uzitalk.com is a great reference for mac stuff. The drums and coffins are expensive but the shockwave mags are in production and good mags. The mags for the .380 macs are sometimes harder to find...

Feedback Score
    You know Uzi's come in three sizes, right? ...and they have legendary reliability.

...but you should get what sounds interesting to you. I'm partial to guns of military lineage. Of those guns, I'd get the Uzi... (FWIW, I already have a mini, with a micro in the works). Some day I'll get a full size. I don't have any of the others.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    The uzi's biggest problem comes down to who converted it and how. As long as its a registered receiver that was converted right they are reliable. That being said I wouldn't buy one over a mac at this point if you want a shooter. The macs just are the entry machine gun to get. Every part is pretty much available new production(texas m10's being the exception but they can be converted to normal parts), the 4 types of mags across the guns are all available in new production that work, etc. Mags are done in batches for some of them.

The big thing is the sheer number of options for the macs on the market or coming as soon as they can get atf approval. The m11/9 being the gun with the most out right now although the m10 has some interesting stuff in the works.

The biggest issue with the Rugers is going to be parts and its a problem that will only get worst. That's the issue with FNC guns as well.

Feedback Score
    I have a M11-Nine and an AC556F', but no Uzi. I'd also say to start with the M11-Nine. It's really fun to shoot with the Lage upper and tungsten bolt. I have an M16, but I have to say that the AC556F is just as fun to shoot. The three shot burst works great. The downside is that they're not modular like the M16 and the disassembly/assembly is a PIA. I also have a Sten which is pretty fun to shoot. I like the M11-Nine with the Lage upper better, but the Sten is a good value.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret View Post
    I have a M11-Nine and an AC556F', but no Uzi. I'd also say to start with the M11-Nine. It's really fun to shoot with the Lage upper and tungsten bolt. I have an M16, but I have to say that the AC556F is just as fun to shoot. The three shot burst works great. The downside is that they're not modular like the M16 and the disassembly/assembly is a PIA. I also have a Sten which is pretty fun to shoot. I like the M11-Nine with the Lage upper better, but the Sten is a good value.
    As I said the problem with the ruger is parts availability. Its something that will get worst as time goes on. Same with the FNC. I actually wanted a FNC instead of a M16 because I found them more interesting. I also live 30 or so minutes from both TBA who does a lot of work on them and TSC Machine who used to to do some pretty crazy upgrades to them. Mike at TSC talked me out of it. His comment on the FNC was pretty dead on, they don't generally brake parts but when they do you are screwed. By the time you buy one and a spare semi gun for parts you can have a m16 that has everything available.

The Sten's are not bad options and parts are still available. If someone wanted to buy one I'd just say find a few parts kits while you can. Still now I a sten is within what 1000 bucks or so of a mac? Yea unless someone really wants on the mac would be a far better buy. You just have so many options.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ccosby View Post
    As I said the problem with the ruger is parts availability.
    One thing to keep in mind is that most of the parts are in common with the Mini-14. That said, if one of the AC556F only parts breaks, you better have a demilled parts kit or you're screwed.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Of the options the OP posted, in my opinion and experience (extensive on the M11/M10 moderate on the AC556) with all 3, the M11 is the best option due to its versatility, upgrade options, and especially initial entry cost/value to dollar ratio.

In regards to the M10 in 9mm, one of the best set ups is a Lage upper and an UZI mag conversion by practical solutions. UZI mags are a great option. They work well, are easy to load, available, and affordable.

Regarding the AC556 or a converted mini14, go with the AC556. You're talking about a factory original versus an aftermarket conversion. Also, the AC556 has the 3 rd burst option and the conversions, AFAIK do not. This is a nice option. Lastly, the AC556 selector has by far the most positive selector that I recall at the moment. By contrast, and what made me appreciate this, is that back in the day when time was young and so was I, I was training formally with an UZI. The selector got bumped out of place and put me in the wrong fire mode. It was like the thing said surprise sucker! I will remember that for a long time.

On the AC556, its one big downside is the proprietary mags. If you get one, take advantage of the currently available factory mags and stock up. I had good luck with the Eagle 35rd mags but I have not seen them in years. Ditto for the Thermold mags.

TED

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast