Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: V7 Titanium A2 Style “Compensator”

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

V7 Titanium A2 Style “Compensator”

Im doing a lightweight SBR build and I’m in search of a lightweight flash hider. I came across V7 Weapon Systems Titanium A2 Style “Compensator.” Link for reference:

https://www.vsevenweaponsystems.com/...a2compensator/

V7 explicitly describes this product as “ NOT A FLASH HIDER.” From my cursory understanding, the classic A2 is described by the military as a compensator, not a flash hider. Is V7’s description a loophole to sell to restricted states and capable of equal flash suppression when compared with a classic A2?

I’m looking for at least the same flash hiding capability as a classic A2, and I’m open to alternatives so long as they are lightweight.

Experience/help/input is greatly appreciated.

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    Regarding your question, my guess is yes.

Feedback Score
    DSArms has a ti A2 that is a flash hider.

I have both. The v7 comp is hogged out and does not suppress flash as well as a standard steel a2 but it is a large improvement over a naked muzzle. The DSA TI flash hider works pretty well however on shorter barrels (11.5 in my particular case) with some ammo, bright white sparks come off the flash hider, so again not really as good as a standard A2...

Id lean towards the DSA if you are looking for weight reduction while retaining decent functionality. Go V7 if you just want maximum weight savings.

Check out some of the flash hiders on the parts weight database.https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...gid=2033901686

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by xanderzuk View Post
    Im doing a lightweight SBR build and I’m in search of a lightweight flash hider. I came across V7 Weapon Systems Titanium A2 Style “Compensator.” Link for reference:

V7 explicitly describes this product as “ NOT A FLASH HIDER.” From my cursory understanding, the classic A2 is described by the military as a compensator, not a flash hider. Is V7’s description a loophole to sell to restricted states and capable of equal flash suppression when compared with a classic A2?

I’m looking for at least the same flash hiding capability as a classic A2, and I’m open to alternatives so long as they are lightweight.

Titanium is pyrophoric, everytime you fire you are going to produce titanium dust that ignites rather spectacularly by the muzzle blast. It turns your muzzle into a roman candle.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JerDerv View Post
    DSArms has a ti A2 that is a flash hider.

I have both. The v7 comp is hogged out and does not suppress flash as well as a standard steel a2 but it is a large improvement over a naked muzzle. The DSA TI flash hider works pretty well however on shorter barrels (11.5 in my particular case) with some ammo, bright white sparks come off the flash hider, so again not really as good as a standard A2...

Id lean towards the DSA if you are looking for weight reduction while retaining decent functionality. Go V7 if you just want maximum weight savings.

Check out some of the flash hiders on the parts weight database.https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...gid=2033901686
    Great link, thank you.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by vicious_cb View Post
    Titanium is pyrophoric, everytime you fire you are going to produce titanium dust that ignites rather spectacularly by the muzzle blast. It turns your muzzle into a roman candle.
    So it sounds like regardless of design, the material itself will negate any flash hiding qualities. Do you think the ionbond black (DLC) coated version would suffer the same effect as the raw titanium?

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    I've used a DLC V7 on a 16" barrel during daytime and haven't noticed any sparking, FWIW. Interesting comment that it doesn't hide flash as well as an A2; I would expect it to do better as there's no internal cone and larger slot openings. I bet the extended V7 would work better, especially on a short barrel.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)

What have you done to save weight in the rest of the build? How lite is your goal? I ask because I went through the liteweight build process.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by GH41 View Post
    What have you done to save weight in the rest of the build? How lite is your goal? I ask because I went through the liteweight build process.
    I’m not going super crazy, but started with the barrel, which weighs in at 17 ounces. Planned on doing V7’s flash hider and aluminum barrel nut for the mcmr next. That’s as far as I’ve gotten.

Any input?
    Last edited by xanderzuk; 05-03-20 at 10:36.

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    I’m not going super crazy, but started with the barrel, which weighs in at 17 ounces. Planned on doing V7’s flash hider and aluminum barrel nut for the mcmr next. That’s as far as I’ve gotten.

Any input?
    Have you ever left home and forgot to put on your wrist watch? I have. In my world I am surrounded by clocks and only look at the watch when outside. I missed it at lunch but never missed the 6 ounces not being on my wrist. That got my attention... I decided at that point I wasn't going chase 6 ounces with hundred dollar bills thrown at Titanium! The Ti comp and Al barrel nut might buy you a couple of oz but you will get used to that in 5 minutes. It sounds cool to reduce the weight of a part by 50% but when calculated against the overall weight of the rifle it isn't much. The barrel, handguard and stock get you the most bang for the buck. My lightweight 16" rifle weighs 6 1/2 pounds with MRO, light and sling on a full ambi lower with all steel parts. You should be able to make 6 pounds without exotic parts with the short gun.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast