Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Beretta ARX-100

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ramairthree View Post
    Nothing fancy. Just luck it’s the best group. Yes green tip is worse groups.

Thanks! It looks like I should have stocked M193, but the IMI M855 doesn't do bad in the ARs at all.

I have a lot of FN M855 too, and that stuff groups even worse at around 11 inches at 100 yards. At least the IMI stays within 8 inches.

I have a couple of boxes of Black Hills 77gr. TMK to test out, but I don't know when I'll get to it. Truthfully I can't afford to shoot the Black hills stuff even if it does really well.

Feedback Score
    I remember some scant details about an Italian military issue port cover, but it messed up what side you wanted the handle on, and someone was going to try to make them a few years ago.

Those are prone unsupported groups from those guns and as good as it gets.

Great batch of ammo, the suppressor and barrel loved that combo that day under those conditions? I’m not sure.

Both the ARX and SIG556 will light strike very hard Tula primers I have. None of my other guns have an issue with it. ARs, AK, mini14, even one of those PLR16s.
    “Where weapons may not be carried, it is well to carry weapons.”

Feedback Score
    I remember some scant details about an Italian military issue port cover, but it messed up what side you wanted the handle on, and someone was going to try to make them a few years ago.

Those are prone unsupported groups from those guns and as good as it gets.

Great batch of ammo, the suppressor and barrel loved that combo that day under those conditions? I’m not sure.

Both the ARX and SIG556 will light strike very hard Tula primers I have. None of my other guns have an issue with it. ARs, AK, mini14, even one of those PLR16s.
    Yes, it was a left side only cover from what I remember, but I don't think it would be hard for Beretta to make an exact mirror image copy for the other side... ARFCOM member "LOS" is still working on making his suppressor cover.

I was bench rested when I did my groups with the M855, I easily beat out the accuracy of the ARX with a Brownells 20" A1 using iron sights and the same ammo... I was pretty shocked by that.

Feedback Score
    There seems to have been an unusually large spread of MOAs on ARXs as they left the factory.

Off the top of my head, other than the infrequent specific gun with an issue, I can’t think of another line/model/brand leaving the factory with such a wide range of MOA.

This has likely got to be something to do with the QD barrel design.

My theory is when someone gets one in the max accuracy range, it is still a little worse than the average AR because of the horrible trigger. (Literally the worse out of the box of all service rifle semi auto civilian versions- up there and worse than bull pups)

Then people get them in the worse accuracy range and Beretta kind of puts their fingers in their ears.

I have spent a couple of decades looking for a gun the meets or exceeds average AR accuracy, durability, and reliability; has a true folding/fully telescoping stock and can be fired with the stock folded; has the exact AR magwell for full mag/drum compatibility; is compatible with ar pistol grips; keeps AR Mag release and selector ergonomics; has an off side non reciprocating charging handle; offers better / faster bolt release/bolt stay, and has last round BHO.

It amazes me how many companies come up with mag wells that are not fully compatible, put a mag release just out of reach, make a selector you have to break grip to actuate, etc.

Feedback Score
    There seems to have been an unusually large spread of MOAs on ARXs as they left the factory.

Off the top of my head, other than the infrequent specific gun with an issue, I can’t think of another line/model/brand leaving the factory with such a wide range of MOA.

This has likely got to be something to do with the QD barrel design.

My theory is when someone gets one in the max accuracy range, it is still a little worse than the average AR because of the horrible trigger. (Literally the worse out of the box of all service rifle semi auto civilian versions- up there and worse than bull pups)

Then people get them in the worse accuracy range and Beretta kind of puts their fingers in their ears.

I have spent a couple of decades looking for a gun the meets or exceeds average AR accuracy, durability, and reliability; has a true folding/fully telescoping stock and can be fired with the stock folded; has the exact AR magwell for full mag/drum compatibility; is compatible with ar pistol grips; keeps AR Mag release and selector ergonomics; has an off side non reciprocating charging handle; offers better / faster bolt release/bolt stay, and has last round BHO.

It amazes me how many companies come up with mag wells that are not fully compatible, put a mag release just out of reach, make a selector you have to break grip to actuate, etc.
    I've already said this about the rifle, "As it is, think of it as the lightest, most ergonomic and ambi AK ever that is 5.56, uses AR mags, has a folding stock and QD barrel. Excellent rifle."

I used to be a big AK fan. So, that's what I compare the ARX to.

I have considered just grinding down the A2 grip. Why not? I've also considered removing a little material so M3 magazines fit. Again, why not? (My favorite mags are Gi-style 20's, actually but I do have all kinds)

People buy AR's and HK's and AK's and Tavors and immediately replace triggers, fore ends, grips, stocks, mounts, and damn near everything and that's fine but it's somehow completely unacceptable that the ARX isn't perfect out of the box for $900?

I wanted a reliable, well-made rifle that broke down easily, used AR mags, is light, (I really like the light barrel) and had a few places to mount things on for HD-type uses likely 50M and less. I installed the Shooting Sight trigger, a RDS, a small VFG, and done.

I improved the safety by oiling it then operating it while wearing a glove for a couple hours while watching a movie to wear it in. It probably cut the effort 25-30% Big difference. It's fine now.

The charging handle? I installed the extended one but I wanted the ambi-feature back so I removed it. Plus it's not easy to remove and must be to field strip the rifle. I've learned to grab it towards the end to avoid the shell deflector and, like everyone does while firing other rifles, wear gloves.

When I did fire it at 100 yds for groups I seem to recall groups of about 3-4 inches for Federal 50 gr BT (grey tip) and 4-5 inches for M193, which was also with a warmer barrel. Just what I expected and all I asked for. I popped the barrel out and put it back and don't recall any significant shift. This was before I installed the SS trigger. The original was very crisp but much too heavy. The SS trigger is four out of five stars for me. Huge improvement.

The original sights I examined at home for maybe 5 minutes and then threw them in the trash.

It's an Italian AK.
    Last edited by Ron3; 05-11-20 at 23:30.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron3 View Post
    It's an Italian AK.
    I like my ARX's, but I don't get the comparison to the AK. The bolt lockup is more like that of an AR15 than an AK.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret View Post
    I like my ARX's, but I don't get the comparison to the AK. The bolt lockup is more like that of an AR15 than an AK.
    I'm talking about usefulness/role. The AK was designed to be a powerful and reliable submachine gun. It can be used in the carbine role, too. The ARX is similar.

Feedback Score
    Got it, definitely reliable.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret View Post
    Got it, definitely reliable.
    The ARX is certainly reliable.

But,
    As an example,
    I threw together an upper out of spare parts I had lying around. It could go on a pistol. Or, I grabbed a stamped SBR Lower I made as a spare about ten years ago. With just a basic lower build kit.

I don’t normally zero RDS at 100m, but I did this to compare a random AR to the ARX.
    Five three round groups to zero. This was green tip. For whatever reason PMC XTAC green tip tends to be more accurate than other brands I try. The group from a parts bin upper looks like this. And it’s really five groups with zero changes.

And it’s a spare SBR lower, with less than 2k rounds fired. And such a basic trigger and parts kit when I was a novice builder. the BH stopped working today. Sure, it’s a quick fix, but a good indicator I did not drop some Uber LPK and trigger in there.

Same ammo, minutes apart, from the ARX.
    One single ten round group.

Sure, it’s on fire sale now, after a failed market introduction, but this is a gun they planned on selling for $1600. With worse accuracy than a $500 budget AR build or AK.
    Last edited by ramairthree; 05-12-20 at 19:38.

Feedback Score
    The ARX is certainly reliable.

But,
    As an example,
    I threw together an upper out of spare parts I had lying around. It could go on a pistol. Or, I grabbed a stamped SBR Lower I made as a spare about ten years ago. With just a basic lower build kit.

I don’t normally zero RDS at 100m, but I did this to compare a random AR to the ARX.
    Five three round groups to zero. This was green tip. For whatever reason PMC XTAC green tip tends to be more accurate than other brands I try. The group from a parts bin upper looks like this. And it’s really five groups with zero changes.

And it’s a spare SBR lower, with less than 2k rounds fired. And such a basic trigger and parts kit when I was a novice builder. the BH stopped working today. Sure, it’s a quick fix, but a good indicator I did not drop some Uber LPK and trigger in there.

Same ammo, minutes apart, from the ARX.
    One single ten round group.

Sure, it’s on fire sale now, after a failed market introduction, but this is a gun they planned on selling for $1600. With worse accuracy than a $500 budget AR build or AK.
    Oh, yea. Way overpriced at $1600.

Accuracy is important but it isnt everything.

So you're saying Italy should just make AK's that use STANAG mags or M4's and use those?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast