Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Leading

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Yep, the throats are .426. If I have them opened up, how will that affect the use of jacketed bullets?

I thought I had measured the 200 gr FP's I got from SNS for shooting 44 Special. They measure a pretty consistent .426. The 300's were a consistent .428.
    Last edited by TomMcC; 05-05-20 at 18:26.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    That explains your leading.
    Throats swaged bullets to .426 and you got blow by/gas cutting.
    And yes, the Chore Boy (copper) is THE answer to remove leading.

Jacketed should be .429/.430 depending on bullet.
    Opening throats to .429” you should by GTG with jacketed.
    I would, however, run them at moderate to hot velocities for max accuracy.
    If you’re running wimp loads with jacketed, I would use .430”s with a fast powder to be sure they obturate.
    A true "Gun Guy" (or gal) should have familiarity and a modicum of proficiency with most all firearms platforms.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Got it. What about the 200 gr FP's I'm running in 44 Special? They're right at .426. I run them pretty mild, about 800 fps. I don't think they had a leading issue, but I may have to shoot them again to see.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by kerplode View Post
    One more thing...If you find that your throats are undersized, there's a fella called Doug Guy over on Cast Boolits forum that has precision honing equipment to open them up correctly. I've had him do three cylinders for me over the last couple years...He's quick, inexpensive, and does really nice work.
    Do you know how to get a hold of Doug or what his handle is at the forum?

Never mind, I found him.
    Last edited by TomMcC; 05-05-20 at 19:21.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Years ago I invested in a Lewis lead remover, it does work well. But now I just don't shoot plain lead. Coated, copper wash or jacketed for me.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1986s4 View Post
    Years ago I invested in a Lewis lead remover, it does work well. But now I just don't shoot plain lead. Coated, copper wash or jacketed for me.
    I have thought about moving to bullets with the Hi-Tek coating. Been using them for years in my 9's. What I'm concerned about though is that the swagging from the tight throats will affect even those.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I would never try to talk you into anything but a question I often ask myself is; what am I going to use it for? In this case if I were not shooting mass quantities of ammo then I might buy a more expensive bullet, say Hornady XTP or something similar. Midway often has them on sale.
    My 38/357's don't have your problem and for all the reloading I've done over the years I've never loaded for the .44 magnum/special so take what I say with a grain of salt.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    If you are going to shoot in quantity, lead is usually worth figuring out. Even cheaper jacketed bullets will run you twice the cost of cast lead. Plated comes in somewhere in the middle. My revolvers all shoot well with cast. That hasn't always been the case. My M657 Mountain Gun was leading with cast. I was using the absolute cheapest bullets I could find. These were sized to .410. I picked a better quality bullet sized to .411 and the leading went away.

I have not been as lucky with my 1894S in .41 Mag. Leading is minor, but the groups are larger than acceptable with cast. It shoots jacketed very well. The interweb tells me the micro-groove barrel likely requires larger than .411 for lead to work.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1986s4 View Post
    I would never try to talk you into anything but a question I often ask myself is; what am I going to use it for? In this case if I were not shooting mass quantities of ammo then I might buy a more expensive bullet, say Hornady XTP or something similar. Midway often has them on sale.
    My 38/357's don't have your problem and for all the reloading I've done over the years I've never loaded for the .44 magnum/special so take what I say with a grain of salt.
    I haven't shot my revolvers much in the last 5 years, but am planning to up that, so I'm drawn to the cast lead for economy. I started researching revolver smiths in the SoCal area and I think I have found one pretty close with a solid rep. He quoted me $65 to open up the throats after he measures them to verify their tightness...seemed very reasonable on the price. I'm pretty sure I'm going this way. The idea that something isn't quite right with one of my guns would probably bug the crap out me as time passed.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chubbs103 View Post
    If you are going to shoot in quantity, lead is usually worth figuring out. Even cheaper jacketed bullets will run you twice the cost of cast lead. Plated comes in somewhere in the middle. My revolvers all shoot well with cast. That hasn't always been the case. My M657 Mountain Gun was leading with cast. I was using the absolute cheapest bullets I could find. These were sized to .410. I picked a better quality bullet sized to .411 and the leading went away.

I have not been as lucky with my 1894S in .41 Mag. Leading is minor, but the groups are larger than acceptable with cast. It shoots jacketed very well. The interweb tells me the micro-groove barrel likely requires larger than .411 for lead to work.
    Yeah, the economy of lead is very much appealing to me.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast