Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Leading

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TomMcC View Post
    I haven't shot my revolvers much in the last 5 years, but am planning to up that, so I'm drawn to the cast lead for economy. I started researching revolver smiths in the SoCal area and I think I have found one pretty close with a solid rep. He quoted me $65 to open up the throats after he measures them to verify their tightness...seemed very reasonable on the price. I'm pretty sure I'm going this way. The idea that something isn't quite right with one of my guns would probably bug the crap out me as time passed.
    It would bug me too. I hope it works out for you.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by kerplode View Post
    I think gaijin is on point...If you find and correct your bullet fit issue, I think the leading problem will go away.

For removal, I'll second the Chore Boy recommendation. It cuts it out pretty quick.

Be careful with the peroxide/vinegar solution. Lead acetate is pretty toxic and the whole mess should be disposed of as hazmat when you're done. (you might already know this, but others may not...)
    Another issue is the vinegar/peroxide is an acid + oxidizer. If everything doesn't come out and some of it leaches under the lead there is a possibility of bore damage so a soak in a base solution(baking soda) isn't a bad idea.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TomMcC View Post
    I haven't shot my revolvers much in the last 5 years, but am planning to up that, so I'm drawn to the cast lead for economy. I started researching revolver smiths in the SoCal area and I think I have found one pretty close with a solid rep. He quoted me $65 to open up the throats after he measures them to verify their tightness...seemed very reasonable on the price. I'm pretty sure I'm going this way. The idea that something isn't quite right with one of my guns would probably bug the crap out me as time passed.
    Subjectively the correct answer.
    I doubt you’ll be disappointed.

My .44 and .45 Colt MGs shoot 1 1/4” at 25 yds benched after sorting out and with my handloads using proper cast bullets.
    While not earth shattering accuracy, for a thumper hunting load, with irons and 4” skinny barrel- I have no excuse for misses at realistic “hunting ranges” (50 yds+-).
    A true "Gun Guy" (or gal) should have familiarity and a modicum of proficiency with most all firearms platforms.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123