Thread: Rugged Oculous

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)

Rugged Oculous

Anyone have one of these? They seem to have good reviews and I like that it’s modular so I’m leaning towards it as my first .22 can. Currently I just have an M&P 15-22 and the AA G19 conversion kit, but I may sell that one and just get a G44 now that they’re out. At some point, I’ll get a bolt gun in .22 but I like the idea of one can that will work well in the K config on the long gun’s and standard on the pistol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    44 (100%)
    It is hard to screw up a .22 can. Lots of great options and the Rugged offering is good.

For a .22 pistol host, my current favorite is the Taurus TX22. 16 round mags and works great. I am really liking this host.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    I don’t have one, and I don’t know anyone that does, but there are two reviews complete with metering here: https://pewscience.com/sound-signature-reviews , one rifle, one pistol.
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Its a good can, and the tone is pretty good. However as much as I hate to say it, the best can out there for 22 right now is Kevin's Q Erector 22. Its like there is nothing hanging off the end of your gun, its that light.

Feedback Score
    I have two. It sounds as good as any good 22 can (which means very effective). In the short configuration it does better than my other modular cans (switchback, halcyon, and erector in comparable size mode) on pistols. They all still sound good on rifles in short mode. Where it really shines is in accuracy. I lose some accuracy with the switchback and also with a dead air mask. The Oculus shows no degradation even when very dirty. I’m not talking about poi shift but rather precision/group size. There is some frp on short barrels below about 6-8” but it is minimal and the mask is about the only one with less frp. The erector is a great can but being all aluminum can be a pain to clean. Rimfire cans don’t need to be cleaned to maintain good sound performance but they will suffer accuracy issues when very dirty. If you have any specific questions let me know. I doubt anyone will be disappointed in the overall performance of the oculus. A bit heavy, yes but unless that’s your #1 priority, you won’t care.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    I don’t have one, and I don’t know anyone that does, but there are two reviews complete with metering here: https://pewscience.com/sound-signature-reviews , one rifle, one pistol.
    Thanks for sharing our high fidelity test reports.

We have many more published now:

Rugged Oculus (Pistol)
    Rugged Oculus (Rifle)
    Energetic Armament VOX S
    Q Trash Panda
    CGS MOD9
    Rugged Obsidian 45
    SWR Trident
    SilencerCo Omega 300
    Dead Air Sandman-S
    Rugged Radiant

a new one is coming this week.

Thanks for your interest in PEW Science

I just realized this is my first actual post since I registered here in 2009. Better late than never. Making up for lost time, now.

Feedback Score
    The CGS Helios QD review is live today.

Machine gun silencer on a bolt gun.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I dont have one yet, but there is one in jail with my (trust's) name on it. I have other 22 cans as well, and I would not recommend an aluminum can as a first .22 can if you are at all like me, which means I love shooting .22. With Alu you are very limited in cleaning methods, which means you will want to clean more often, and that just sucks.

To be honest I dont know that I would really care too much about the modular-ness. With Ti cans being around 4oz, or steel around 6.5, and most at 5-6", its not like 1.5 oz and 2" make a huge difference on a 16" barrel - but you gotta make that call. I barely notice a Spectre II steel can on the end of a Tac-sol aluminum barreled 10/22, and less so on other guns.

The reality is there are a ton of great .22 cans, from good companies in TI and steel, and that is where I would lean.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Personally, today I would look at lightweight Titanium cans with encapsulated stainless baffles.

If you stay with the big names, it is hard to make a bad choice but, maybe not as hard to buy a can that isn't optimized for your specific uses.