Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What would you do with a PX9109LP (SA Loaded)

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

What would you do with a PX9109LP (SA Loaded)

So here's an interesting "mental masturbation" exercise if you will. It's something I have been thinking about a lot here lately and I would like the input of the good people here at M4C. So my question is, If this were your pistol, and it were your only 1911, what work would you have done with it and why? This pistol is my go to for a secondary in any classes I am planning to attend, is my constant "night stand gun", and will probably see some concealed carry. It is not going to be used in any dynamic entry situations, nor will it be a competition target pistol (maybe some IPSC, that's it though).

The pistol is a SA PX9109LP, which is a "Parkerized Loaded Gov't Size 1911". According to Springfield it comes with the following features:

"Novak low mount rear sight, dovetail front sight, 3-Dot tritium night sights, lightweight aluminum speed trigger, extended ambidextrous thumb safety, flat checkered mainspring housing, beavertail grip safety, delta hammer, cocobolo grips, carry bevel™ all sharp edges of pistol, deburr pistol internally, tune extractor & ejector, recut barrel throat and polish feed ramp, titanium firing pin with heavy duty firing pin spring, tune trigger to 4.5lb pull..."

Here's some pictures, though they do not reflect the current configuration of the pistol:

Since owning the pistol, I have put about 1200 rounds downrange. While I have been very pleased with the accuracy, the reliability during the first 200 rounds was somewhat lackluster. It has since gone back to Springfield on a RMA and had a "reliability tune up" done. Since then the pistol has been 100% with all brands of 230gr ball and JHPs I have put through it. In addition to that SA did some other things, like tightening up the slide to frame, replace the FLGR with a GI guide rod, soften and contour the edges, replace the ILS with a standard main spring setup, etc. All the extra work was done for free as a "Sorry your pistol wasn't 100%, allow us to make it up to you" kind of thing. I was quite impressed and it really told me I made the right decision...

Currently the pistol is being sent out to Dawson to have a light rail installed, and I picked up a used X200 with the adapter to use with it. As far as what else I have done thus far is add skate board tape to the front strap, a Wilson "Bullet Proof" slide stop, Ed Brown Barrel Bushing, Mil-Tac G10 Grips*, Ed Brown "Snake Skin" drop in Maxi-well/MSH*, 19# mainspring, CMC mags, and that's about it.

(*ditched these parts last weekend, just prefer the Cocobolo grips for looks, and the Maxi-well just didn't fit well)

I love the look of Nighthawk pistols, especially the GRP, and the Heine PDP. I would like to keep some sort of high grip Cocobolo grips, the SA grips are not as grippy as the G10 grips, but they look a lot better IMO. I might get some Gunner grips and swap back and forth between those and the SA Cocobolos. I am leaning towards getting the front strap checkered to 25 lpi, getting the magazine well flared and blended, getting some sort of crown cut into the barrel and bushing, and getting the pistol "coated" in some high speed matte black finish.

What does everyone think? I know I don't have any reliability upgrades listed, but I really don't know what else I should have done to enhance reliability. I mean, currently the pistol is running like a sewing machine with everything from 230gr Blazer, to +P Hornady XTPs. Who would you recommend to have the work done who is reasonably priced and can get it back to me in a reasonable time frame (1 month or less)?

Sorry for the long thread, but I think this could be a good discussion for purposeful upgrades on a common mid-level price point 1911.

Thanks!
    Last edited by decodeddiesel; 11-24-08 at 14:21.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Since you asked:

Sending mine very soon to Mars Armament for the following:

Dawson Precision Light rail install (with Surefire X300/Adaptor)
    S&A Magwell MSH (with custom Stippling texture)
    Frontstrap textured (matching Stippling)
    Ergo XT Textured slimline grip (Coyote)
    GemTech TRL (Coyote)

Also dropping the two-peice guide rod for a conventional Browning GI plug

Already have 5 47D magazines on order, so I'll be a happy camper.
    Last edited by TehLlama; 11-24-08 at 14:25.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TehLlama View Post
    Since you asked:

Sending mine very soon to Mars Armament for the following:

Dawson Precision Light rail install (with Surefire X300/Adaptor)
    S&A Magwell MSH (with custom Stippling texture)
    Frontstrap textured (matching Stippling)
    Ergo XT Textured slimline grip (Coyote)
    GemTech TRL (Coyote)

Also dropping the two-peice guide rod for a conventional Browning GI plug

Already have 5 47D magazines on order, so I'll be a happy camper.
    Awesome second post Brother!

Is this one a Springer like mine? What did MARS give you for a time frame for the work? I like where you're going with it.

Stupid question, but what are 47D magazines?

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    It's the Loaded Park model, just like yours.
    My quote stated 2-3 weeks, which is outstanding. I'm hoping to get this done by mid-Jan (birthday), which is amazing. Mr. Morrison's work looks outstanding, and it sure beats the 6mo turnaround I was quoted from SA.

The other plus is the mag guide MSH - Mars has cuzomized SA units (I wanted arched w/ lanyard loop and the magweel attachments), for a lot less than the same with a Heine weld-on version with an added lanyard attach point.

Still worth considering just checkering the fronstrap and getting the S&A magwell direct (for flat checkered version), and just picking up a TRL to go with that. It's $30 cheaper, but if checkered is what you're looking for, the S&A units are nice.

I'm influenced primarily by 10-8, but also from my airsoft collection, but the Dawson rail is a great peice of gear. The Loaded Park with Dawson rail is still cheaper than the step up to the Operator railed model, and maintains concealbility. I've seen X200 lights with Dawson adaptors for as little as $150 used.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TehLlama View Post
    I've seen X200 lights with Dawson adaptors for as little as $150 used.
    I just grabbed an X200 with the Dawson adapter for $120

That's an outstanding turnaround for MARS. I may have to move them to the top of the list for possible smiths.

ETA: Can anyone point me towards a MSH with an integrated lanyard loop that is 25 lpi checkered? The Guncrafter Industries MSH is nice, but 20 lpi...
    Last edited by decodeddiesel; 11-24-08 at 15:15.

Feedback Score
    34 (100%)
    Your SA model is the right one to get for the features and Mods you desire.

I think TehLlama gives good sage advice.

You can get MSH blanks and have the Smith checker them 25 LPI, or Golfball treatment etc. w/ Internal Lanyard attachment.

If your Gun is accurate I would leave it alone. If it is a little off, I would change the barrel to a Nowlin, Bar Sto or KART NM.

Have Steve M. fit the barrel and you will have an awesome 1911.

Good luck on your quest and obtaining Tactical Nirvana.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I have been extremely sastified with my SA PX9109LP. It's a NM serial #, US asembled model, I picked up about 4 yrs ago. It's been 100% with the factory mags and wilson 8rders. I've replaced the FLGR with a Ed Brown GI setup. Recently swaped my Ergo grips with some coyotee brown Gunner grips. Love the Gunners! They aren't as agressive as I thought they would be, and I much prefer them over the stock cocobolo or Ergos. This has been my edc since I got it. Considering the SA reliabilty package, but haven't had any problems so far.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    OK 2 more questions...

1.) what are everyone's thought one 10-8 rear sights? I already have the Novak 3 dot tritium on the gun now so the 10-8 rear would be an easy swap. Does anyone know what height, and could recommend which width rear I would need to use with my standard Novak tritium front?

2.) I would like to hear some opinions and experiences with Springfield's in house custom shop. Prices seem good, work seems solid, but what about turn around time?

Feedback Score
    34 (100%)
    1) Those rear sights are nothing new. Chuck Rogers is the Originator of that style some years ago.

They work fine, are robust, good for IAD's (Seam/shoe/hip etc Slide manipulation drills).

http://www.rogersprecision.com/

The issue is preference of notch width and/or front sight width. I like the standard.

It's a PISTOL NOT a BOLT GUN.

2) SA's Custom Shop is TOP SHELF.

NO worries they have built THOUSANDS of GUNS and knows the dealeo VERY well.
    Time depends on their Backlog etc... Varies so you will have to call to find out answer to question. Usually, 4 to 6 weeks is NORM. Depends on nature/complexity/processes they are performing per customers request.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by HOPLOETHOS View Post
    1) Those rear sights are nothing new. Chuck Rogers is the Originator of that style some years ago.

They work fine, are robust, good for IAD's (Seam/shoe/hip etc Slide manipulation drills).

http://www.rogersprecision.com/

The issue is preference of notch width and/or front sight width. I like the standard.

It's a PISTOL NOT a BOLT GUN.

2) SA's Custom Shop is TOP SHELF.

NO worries they have built THOUSANDS of GUNS and knows the dealeo VERY well.
    Time depends on their Backlog etc... Varies so you will have to call to find out answer to question. Usually, 4 to 6 weeks is NORM. Depends on nature/complexity/processes they are performing per customers request.
    HOPLOETHOS, first of all let me extend my most sincere gratitude. You have answered all of my questions in a knowledgeable, professional manor. It is apparent from your context and perspective you are very versed in the finer points of the 1911 and I appreciate your willingness to share that information. My personal experience with pistols is very limited to those which have been issued to me at one time or another (read M9).

I agree 100% on the accuracy vs. speed debate as it pertains to the 1911. For this reason I was wondering if going with a larger U such as the .140 or .156 would be prudent keeping in mind however that I still like to drill out the x-ring on a target at 50ft every now and then...

I will take your endorsement of Springfield to heart and call them. One thing though. I am quite smitten with the magazine well on the Nighthawk GRP seen here:

*Image from Nighthawk's website*

Do you think Springfield would be capable of such work? What exactly would you call that?

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast