Thread: Gas system questions for 6.5 Creedmoor

Feedback Score

Gas system questions for 6.5 Creedmoor

Good day all!

So I have a 20" Faxon Creedmoor barrel (rifle length gas system,) standard weight bolt carrier, Ultradyne Apollo S brake and I figure one thing is certain and that will be an adjustable gas block which I have a question or two on and buffer systems. This is meant to be a recreation gun (Aero Precision M5 upper and lower.)

I figure since the vast majority of 6.5 CMs out there are using adjustable gas blocks to tame the things down and get them dialed in reliably, that will be a given, keep in mind no cans will be used. Questions start with which style? One that bleeds off gases or one that restricts gases and why? Second question is what kind of problems did you have if any and what didn't work and why? (help me not make the same mistake)

I've have almost always went with heavier buffers and a good spring but this is my first 6.5 CM (I have put together a couple 308s.) But most everyone I have spoke to suggests the JP silent spring systems, so opinions on heavy buffer verses JP and why? If you think JP should I go with the heavy or standard weight kit?

Thanks for taking the time to read and respond if you do!

I just edited this to add, if you have a questions for me about what I'm putting together please ask!
    Last edited by duramaxtech; 05-03-20 at 12:28.
    "You might shoot better with a better gun, but a better gun doesn't make you a better shooter" ....... (me)

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    I went with odin works adjustable weight AR10 buffer. I know a lot of the barrels are coming out as +2 length or proprietary length systems with longer gas tubes that are geared towards the standard weight components vs heavy buffers or needing adjustable gas blocks.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    I went with Standard, Rifle Length Gas, Carbine length buffer and a KAK heavy buffer, as well as their BCG.
    ALL of my 6.5 loads have been upper end, 140-147 gr. (Read no wimp/mid range loads)

No issues to date.
    A true "Gun Guy" (or gal) should have familiarity and a modicum of proficiency with most all firearms platforms.