Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any Lefties with bolt guns?

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)

Any Lefties with bolt guns?

Im left eye dominant and plan on getting into the long range precision game.

I'm pretty set on the Begara HMR left handed model.

I've considered getting the Pro but that only comes in standard right hand configuration.

Do lefties on here stick with right handed models or do go with the left handed ones? I think the only con to the LH models is that not every company offers them, so they are a lot less common.
    It is from the construction of underground FEMA camps. I can't say more because there a guy parked in front of house in an AMC Pacer. He is acting like he talking on the phone, but I know better.

I have to sign off now & put my laptop in the microwave.
    - cqbdriver

Feedback Score
    69 (100%)
    The lh hmr is pretty awesome and hard to beat for the price. I bought a Bergara lrp a few months before they announced the lefty rifle. On a bench I don’t mind the right bolt but I cannot manipulate the bolt nearly as fast as I would be able with a left bolt.
    I paint spaceship parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    Stippled Glocks are like used underwear; previous owner makes all the difference in value.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by VIP3R 237 View Post
    The lh hmr is pretty awesome and hard to beat for the price. I bought a Bergara lrp a few months before they announced the lefty rifle. On a bench I don’t mind the right bolt but I cannot manipulate the bolt nearly as fast as I would be able with a left bolt.
    The LRP is another one I was looking at, but I wish it was left handed. How does it shoot?
    It is from the construction of underground FEMA camps. I can't say more because there a guy parked in front of house in an AMC Pacer. He is acting like he talking on the phone, but I know better.

- cqbdriver

Feedback Score
    69 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zane1844 View Post
    The LRP is another one I was looking at, but I wish it was left handed. How does it shoot?
    I’m not a professional shooter by any means but if I do my part it’s a 1/2 moa rifle with factory hornady ammo.
    I paint spaceship parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    Stippled Glocks are like used underwear; previous owner makes all the difference in value.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    I'm a lefty through and through.
    I practiced with and shot my first few deer with a RH bolt gun when I was a kid. It's a little awkward to reciprocate the bolt with either hand. If the grip is low enough so that the bolt can pass over your left thumb then your strong hand doesn't have to leave it's grip and the bolt can be worked with your support hand as long as the rifle is on a bipod, bag or secure on it's rest. For me that was the window sill of a deer blind. But in traditional hunting stocks your left hand has to leave it's grip so it ends up being the hand chosen to cycle to bolt by reaching over the scope and action as well as turning the rifle a little to the side. It's doable and can be done smooth and quickly even, but not and never will be ideal. Not IMO at least. I do try to practice with RH bolt I seldom get a chance though.

Sometimes I feel like I made a mistake when I asked for my first LH bolt gun as a Christmas present when I was 15. The rest is history. I have only LH bolt guns in my safe. That's all I ever want to shoot now; be it bench shooting, prone shooting or hunting from a blind. Man is it convenient. Several big name mass producers make LH options in several calibers and several different stock styles. Remington 700's, Browning X bolts, Weatherby Mark V's, Savage model 10's, Tikka T3's to name a few. Start there. I'm not familiar with Begara but I hear they are nice.

If long range shooting becomes your passion then searching for a custom rig will be a long endeavor anyway, and finding a LH rig with everything else you want will just be part of the no compromises build.

Basically, if you go LH, you won't go back. That's my experience.
    Last edited by matemike; 05-04-20 at 08:11.
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”
    - Mark Twain

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I'm a lefty but I don't have any fancy long range rifles. With surplus rifles I just roll the rifle in my hand a little to where the bolt is sticking up then use my left hand to work the bolt. Otherwise I have one left handed bolt action rifle, a Ruger M77 in 3006 with an old Redfield scope. It suits my needs. But yes, it's definitely easier to have the correct rifle

Feedback Score
    My PRS rifle is a left handed action, but all my other bolt guns are right handed. Prone, and off any type of barricade its not much of an issue. Prone unsupported and certain other odd ball positions it can be a challenge.

Feedback Score
    I'm a lefty. I've got LH Rem 700s. I put mine together before their were many choices. So basically Rem700, plussed-up with Timney triggers, McMillan Stocks, Badger Ordnance accessories. I like the SWFA fixed power scopes, rear parallax means the scope is slick above the loading/ejection port.

308 Win,

308 Win,

30-06,

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    There are plenty of LH rfiles available these days. The only RH rifle I'd buy for myself would be military surplus, other than that LH all the way anymore.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Thanks for the feedback everyone! Looks like I'll be getting the LH Begara.

Due to the "stay at home orders" I haven't been able to get a new drivers license so I still can't buy a gun.

I'm working on getting the bipod and scope though. I'll be getting the Razor Gen2 4.5-27x.

- cqbdriver

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast