Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: IDF Style Builds - Show and Tell

Feedback Score

IDF Style Builds - Show and Tell

I put this together after a recent trip to Israel. Saw a bunch like this. Carbines made from old M16a1 receivers but with M4 barrels.

Updated specs: This one has 1970s M16a1 Colt CH upper, old m16 Colt bcg, Bushmaster 1/7 chrome lined m4 barrel, w FSB. BCM Lower with Brownells CAR-15 type stock and vintage Colt grip. Old gooseneck mount. Holosun dot. Never saw any Holosuns in Israel, but I can't find the right Meprolight.
    IMG_20200504_115744.jpg
    Last edited by creedal; 05-14-20 at 20:42.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Here’s one I did. The gun has since been torn down and rebuilt though (a couple times actually), so it no longer exists in the form pictured.

It was based on this.

At the time I was too cheap to get a proper A1 style lower for it though.

I’ve seen a lot of pics of IDF issued M16A1 rifles with A2 handguards. So I cloned one of those too. I do still have this one. Seen here with Israeli sling, gas mask and Israeli police surplus Browning Hi-Power

Last edited by Circle_10; 05-04-20 at 13:01.

Feedback Score
    Nice! We obviously saw the same carbines. My build is virtually the same as Larry Vickers old Colt 723, but his has deflector bump.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I've always wondered what the green and black stetchy band on the hand guard does for you? Better grip...something else?

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TomMcC View Post
    I've always wondered what the green and black stetchy band on the hand guard does for you? Better grip...something else?
    My understanding is that it's to help reduce rattle on Ye Olde plastic handguards that have been attached. And detached. And attached. And detached. For decades. And may no longer fit as well as they once did.
    " Nil desperandum - Never Despair. That is a motto for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it. "
    - Samuel Adams -

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MountainRaven View Post
    My understanding is that it's to help reduce rattle on Ye Olde plastic handguards that have been attached. And detached. And attached. And detached. For decades. And may no longer fit as well as they once did.
    Sounds about right...maybe yoni knows for sure.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by creedal View Post
    Nice! We obviously saw the same carbines. My build is virtually the same as Larry Vickers old Colt 723, but his has deflector bump.
    The carbine I posted above has actually been recently rebuilt as a more proper “late” 723 clone with a C7 style upper to go with the stepped 14.5” barrel. While there was a lot of variation in the 723 series during its production run apparently the combination of the older A1 style upper (without the brass deflector) and the stepped “M4” style barrel isn’t something that has been reported. While it’s possible, even likely, to have existed given Colt’s seemingly cavalier approach to assembling 723s with whatever parts they had kicking around, I opted to clone a more commonly seen configuration.

I’m not a big PSA fan but when they came out with “M16A2” lowers I grabbed one, as 723s, being part of the M16A2 series, were typically marked as such. However after thinking about it I realized I had acted kind of impulsively as the lower technically wasn’t all that “correct”. the US Property marks are incorrect for a 723. The 723s that saw use by the US military were COTS guns and would have had the “commercial” style rollmarks without the US property marks. Another thing that is incorrect is the “burst” selector marking, although apparently some export 700-series carbines could be found with burst markings but S-1-Auto FCGs. I did end up using the lower all the same though.

Feedback Score
    Green elastic band potentially fixed 2 problems. Rattle of worn out plastic parts, and more important carrying of a mag.

Jews for the most part are really stupid when it comes to guns. We started out with a bunch of people that had little to no gun background. Which gave us the famous Israeli condition 3 and the Israeli shooting stance with pistols. This is the best system in the world, for non dedicated shooters. Pistol is safe, until to rack the slide, the strong stance has given Israeli non dedicated shooters a way to have a very high hit ratio against terrorist.
    Part of this is the idea that we send soldiers home with their rifle, but to be safe you must not put your mag in the rifle. So you need to carry a mag with you, you can stick it in your pocket but that is a pain. So the band allows you to stick your mag under it and it keeps your mag with your rifle.

Israel only has 2 places where people really know how to shoot. No unit in the IDF knows how to really shoot. YAMAM the top anti terror unit in Israel can shoot. YAMAM will get people in from top IDF units and if they get through the selection, they then are taught to really shoot. It is not uncommon for former members of the unit that did Entebee or former Israeli SEALs to say when I was in my old unit I thought I knew how to shoot, now I know it was BS.

Feedback Score
    Always appreciate your informative posts, Yoni.

Thank you for taking the time to write about your history and knowledge of the IDF.

Feedback Score
    Some people used the bands on the front of the rifle some on the stock. One other thing people would do is use a dummy mag that held your real mag at a 90 degree angle. So you hit the mag release reversed it inserted the real mag and ammo.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast