Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gift ideas for nephew starting with DEA

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Gift ideas for nephew starting with DEA

Nephew is starting 12-week training at Quantico, then will be on board with DEA. Did a brief stint with local LE, then applied for federal. He's a great, smart kid, graduated top of his university class, has some backbone but is also humble, cares about people, and wants to make a difference. The kind of person that you want to go into LE. Really proud of him and a couple of the other young guys in our fam for stepping up and going into service in LE, mil, and first responder roles, despite the challenging times we're facing.

Anyway, we want to get him a nice gift for his graduation (let's say budget of $600 max). Kind of stumped as to what to get him; I don't just want to give cash or a Brownells gift certificate or whatever, because not very 'memorable' in later years. Pinged my sister, she said DEA gives them a box of stuff when they start, and he thought it was awesome compared to what he got with local LE. :-) But we aren't sure what exactly they give them, and what else might be useful. She's gonna' try to get a little more intel, so I won't buy anything until I hear back.

Meanwhile, any suggestions on what might be useful to him?

A few ideas I had, stuff which MIGHT not be provided in his agency kit:
    * A high quality folding knife, engraved. For example, a Chris Reeve Sebenza. Another option would be a Microtech auto, but not sure if that's something that agents would value over just a standard folder. I've heard mixed reviews on autos from LE folks I know: a lot of regular police carry a small fixed blade, some like an auto, some like a traditional easy-opening folder.
    * Quality ear pro: MSA Sordins? I'm betting the Feds gear package won't include ear pro to match MSA.
    * A set of home gunsmithing tools: like this Brownells Tool Kit and maybe add a Wiha bit set

Feedback Score
    Knife idea sounds good IMHO those are one of the things I never get rid of and are always good to go
    Ear pro etc... seems to be a burn through item in a way

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    First I’d say delete this post. Don’t curse the man. Ask again when he’s about to graduate.

Second, I would suggest a very very nice bottle of whiskey. To be drunk only upon swearing in, any promotion and finished upon retirement. Not some $60 bottle. Like a $300+ bottle. Something that he would reserve for special occasions.
    AQ planned for years and sent their A team to carry out the attacks, and on Flight 93 they were thwarted by a pick-up team made up of United Frequent Fliers. Many people look at 9/11 and wonder how we can stop an enemy like that. I look at FL93 and wonder, "How can we lose?". -- FromMyColdDeadHand

Feedback Score
    Maybe some cocaine?

Feedback Score
    Nice ear pro isn’t a bad idea. What about a real nice Surefire pocket type flashlight. Those come in handy while doing plain clothes work.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ggammell View Post
    First I’d say delete this post. Don’t curse the man. Ask again when he’s about to graduate.
    LOL fair enough, don't want to jinx him. Still will plan to get something but not pull the trigger until he's almost done.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vic79 View Post
    Maybe some cocaine?
    Thought that would be one of the fringe benefits of the job.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by El Vaquero View Post
    Nice ear pro isn’t a bad idea. What about a real nice Surefire pocket type flashlight. Those come in handy while doing plain clothes work.
    Light is a good idea, I assume they must be provided some kind of WML , but a good handheld could be a nice extra. Model you'd suggest?

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Quote Originally Posted by maximus83 View Post
    Nephew is starting 12-week training at Quantico, then will be on board with DEA. Did a brief stint with local LE, then applied for federal. He's a great, smart kid, graduated top of his university class, has some backbone but is also humble, cares about people, and wants to make a difference. The kind of person that you want to go into LE. Really proud of him and a couple of the other young guys in our fam for stepping up and going into service in LE, mil, and first responder roles, despite the challenging times we're facing.

Anyway, we want to get him a nice gift for his graduation (let's say budget of $600 max). Kind of stumped as to what to get him; I don't just want to give cash or a Brownells gift certificate or whatever, because not very 'memorable' in later years. Pinged my sister, she said DEA gives them a box of stuff when they start, and he thought it was awesome compared to what he got with local LE. :-) But we aren't sure what exactly they give them, and what else might be useful. She's gonna' try to get a little more intel, so I won't buy anything until I hear back.

Meanwhile, any suggestions on what might be useful to him?

A few ideas I had, stuff which MIGHT not be provided in his agency kit:
    * A high quality folding knife, engraved. For example, a Chris Reeve Sebenza. Another option would be a Microtech auto, but not sure if that's something that agents would value over just a standard folder. I've heard mixed reviews on autos from LE folks I know: a lot of regular police carry a small fixed blade, some like an auto, some like a traditional easy-opening folder.
    * Quality ear pro: MSA Sordins? I'm betting the Feds gear package won't include ear pro to match MSA.
    * A set of home gunsmithing tools: like this Brownells Tool Kit and maybe add a Wiha bit set
    An engraved custom knife would stay on his dresser. A Micro tech auto is pretty much useless for anything more than cleaning his fingernails or being cool. Ear pros are too much like tools. Try buying you wife a washing machine for her birthday and see how it goes! I think a durable watch would be an appropriate gift. Might have trouble staying within your budget. Look at the Citizen ECO Drive series. I have been wearing one for 15 years. The only time it has been off is to clean it.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by GH41 View Post
    An engraved custom knife would stay on his dresser. A Micro tech auto is pretty much useless for anything more than cleaning his fingernails or being cool. Ear pros are too much like tools. Try buying you wife a washing machine for her birthday and see how it goes! I think a durable watch would be an appropriate gift. Might have trouble staying within your budget. Look at the Citizen ECO Drive series. I have been wearing one for 15 years. The only time it has been off is to clean it.
    Good points. If I go knife, more of a quality working folder then, say a Zero Tolerance, something like that. Like the watch idea. Are you talking about something in the Drive series, like this?

https://www.amazon.com/Citizen-Eco-D.../dp/B00WFVF1CY

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast