Thread: PURPLE Winchester Training Ammo

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

PURPLE Winchester Training Ammo

What is this? Ive never seen nor heard of "training ammunition" before. Is this full power?
    Anyone ever shot this? Just looking for info as Ive never seen PURPLE "training ammo".

Winchester Training Ammo.JPG
    The obedient always think of themselves as virtuous rather than the cowards they really are.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I have seen Winchester 62 grain OT 5.56 training ammo, story was it was a cheaper alternative so agencies didn't have to use their expensive 5.56 62GR Federal Tactical Bonded (XM556SBCT3) for training. The purple .223 is new, maybe a replacement for Gold Dot? I always kind of figured it was a way to throw Winchester a bone since they lost the duty ammo competition.
    Last edited by mack7.62; 05-05-20 at 07:35.
    “The Trump Doctrine is ‘We’re America, Bitch.’ That’s the Trump Doctrine.”

"He is free to evade reality, he is free to unfocus his mind and stumble blindly down any road he pleases, but not free to avoid the abyss he refuses to see."

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I bought a bunch from Target Shooting Sports since it was the only .223 or 5.56 they had at anything resembling a reasonable price. Figured I'd use it as training/blasting ammo and see how it worked. If the brass seems good, I might try reforming it into .300 BLK for my wife. (her favorite color is purple)
    It's f*****g great, putting holes in people, all the time, and it just puts 'em down mate, they drop like sacks of s**t when they go down with this.
    --British veteran of the Ukraine War, discussing the FN SCAR H.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    It is issued by CBP and probably others for quals and training where the more expensive duty ammo is a waste of money. POI/POA is similar enough to Federal 64 gr. bonded for zeroing out to 100 yards (farthest I've shot it). No flash suppression and it's very dirty, but I've never experienced or seen feeding issues. The brass is nickel-plated Winchester and most of the purple comes off during tumbling leaving a blue tint. I've tried reloading it, but get split necks after one reload. I'll try and remember to check my notes but, as I recall, it's a little hotter than the Federal 64 gr.

Now that CBP is going to 9mm, you'll probably see a lot of purple .40 S&W as well. Same comments as above albeit with a FMJ bullet.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnerblue View Post
    It is issued by CBP and probably others for quals and training where the more expensive duty ammo is a waste of money. POI/POA is similar enough to Federal 64 gr. bonded for zeroing out to 100 yards (farthest I've shot it). No flash suppression and it's very dirty, but I've never experienced or seen feeding issues. The brass is nickel-plated Winchester and most of the purple comes off during tumbling leaving a blue tint. I've tried reloading it, but get split necks after one reload. I'll try and remember to check my notes but, as I recall, it's a little hotter than the Federal 64 gr.

Now that CBP is going to 9mm, you'll probably see a lot of purple .40 S&W as well. Same comments as above albeit with a FMJ bullet.
    I did see some purple .40 for sale somewhere.
    After I posted this, I came upon a video on YT with this...from a 20" barrel was clocking 2919fps. Around 2800 or so from a 16". That aint bad.
    Thank yall for the info...Ive just never seen nor heard of training ammo before...or purple either.
    The obedient always think of themselves as virtuous rather than the cowards they really are.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpha-17 View Post
    I bought a bunch from Target Shooting Sports since it was the only .223 or 5.56 they had at anything resembling a reasonable price. Figured I'd use it as training/blasting ammo and see how it worked. If the brass seems good, I might try reforming it into .300 BLK for my wife. (her favorite color is purple)
    Holler back after youve run it some...maybe chrono a few?

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I've used that purple training stuff in 40 before...Worked well, seemed fine.

Not sure about the 5.56. Probably just a cheaper round for practice, made purple so it's easy to identify. No reason for the feds to dump millions of rounds of bonded sp into the berm when a cheap OTM does the same job.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kerplode View Post
    Probably just a cheaper round for practice, made purple so it's easy to identify.
    Right. It makes it much more difficult for the agents to use the wrong ammo, as there is an obvious difference in color of the cases. Not only does this prevent the use of duty ammo for practice, it also prevents practice ammo being carried for duty. You have to remember, there are lots of folks in the agencies that really have zero interest in guns or ammo, so this is an easy and obvious way to differentiate the different ammo types.
    Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

老僧三十年前未參禪時、見山是山、見水是水、及至後夾親見知識、有箇入處、見山不是山、見水不是水、而今得箇體歇處、依然見山秪是山、見水秪是水。

https://www.instagram.com/defaultmp3/

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    I've been wondering how similar this is to that Swedish 62gr OTM from Winchester a little while back. Anyone know?
    Sic semper tyrannis.