Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why is my charging handle sticking?

Feedback Score

Why is my charging handle sticking?

I built a new aero precision AR and I noticed my charging handle isn't seating completely into the receiver. If I slam the handle home it seats properly. If I just pull it back and let it go there will be about an 1/8th inch gap between the handle and the receiver. Is this indicative of a head spacing issue with my bolt? Or is it something else? I haven't shot a round with it yet...perhaps with some use this will fix itself?

Thanks in advance for your response.

*Edit* I uploaded pictures below after a bunch of failed attempts to do so in Tapatalk.
    Last edited by TommyTwoTone; 05-06-20 at 04:43.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Have you checked your gas tube alignment?
    ETC (SW/AW), USN (1998-2008)
    CVN-65, USS Enterprise

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Is the bolt and carrier fully seated forward and locked?
    AQ planned for years and sent their A team to carry out the attacks, and on Flight 93 they were thwarted by a pick-up team made up of United Frequent Fliers. Many people look at 9/11 and wonder how we can stop an enemy like that. I look at FL93 and wonder, "How can we lose?". -- FromMyColdDeadHand

Feedback Score
    from what i understand there are still some bolts out there that will allow the cam pin to be inserted in either direction that the bolt is installed in the carrier. otherwise i would think maybe the gas tube may have been installed upside down. just my 2 cents worth but worth checking.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Did it do this when loading a round? Or, just working the action?

USGI or aftermarket charging handle with improved or ambi levers?

Do you have another charging handle? If so I'd swap and see if the new charging handle has the same problem.

First I'd check the alignment of the gas tube and carrier key. To do this remove the BCG and the charging handle. Then remove the bolt from the bolt carrier. Slide the BCG into the upper receiver and angle the barrel down until the bolt carrier slides forward. You are looking to see if the carrier key slides smoothly off and onto the gas tube. We are looking for FULL engagement - the bolt carrier should go all the way forward - if the rear of the carrier extends beyond the end of the upper receiver with the barrel pointed stright downward, something is amiss - carrier key not in spec, gas tube bell not in spec, gas tube improperly aligned.

If that checks okay you need to make sure the charging handle is functioning properly, check the lever for smooth operation, make sure the end of the lever that locks onto the reciever is smooth and properly formed.

I have one rifle with a GI handle that if you let the bolt go forward and then pull the latch, the handle comes about 1/8inch to the rear and will remain unlatched. However, regardless of how I chamber a round. the charging handle latches.

I think you will probably find you gas tube isn't aligned or, your BCG is dry as a bone and the bolt isn't going all the way into battery.

You asked about headspace, I would suggest that on new builds you check headspace - at least make sure the bolt won't close on a field gauge.

Do you have another charging handle? If so I'd swap and see if the new charging handle has the same problem.
    Last edited by 26 Inf; 05-05-20 at 21:13.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    Photo of charging handle coming up short
    Last edited by TommyTwoTone; 05-06-20 at 04:04.

Feedback Score
    Side view of charging handle coming up shortIMG_20200505_204353.jpg

Feedback Score
    I think it's the spring tension on the hook in the charging handle. The hook is hanging up before it can settle into the detent machined into the side of the upper. Is it normal for this to wear in with cycling?

If I pull it back 100% (or it locks back) and let go it seats fine. It's only when I don't pull it back 100% or if I don't slam it home that it gets hung up. Maybe this is normal?

IMG_20200505_204437.jpg
    Last edited by TommyTwoTone; 05-06-20 at 04:19.

Feedback Score
    I’m thinking gas tube and key alignment. Is the BCG seating fully, and when it does, is it hard to pull it back?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TommyTwoTone View Post
    I think it's the spring tension on the hook in the charging handle. The hook is hanging up before it can settle into the detent machined into the side of the upper. Is it normal for this to wear in with cycling?

If I pull it back 100% (or it locks back) and let go it seats fine. It's only when I don't pull it back 100% or if I don't slam it home that it gets hung up. Maybe this is normal?

IMG_20200505_204437.jpg

Have you tried all the suggestions above? They have posted 99% if the normal reasons.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast