Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why is my charging handle sticking?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TommyTwoTone View Post
    I think it's the spring tension on the hook in the charging handle. The hook is hanging up before it can settle into the detent machined into the side of the upper. Is it normal for this to wear in with cycling?

If I pull it back 100% (or it locks back) and let go it seats fine. It's only when I don't pull it back 100% or if I don't slam it home that it gets hung up. Maybe this is normal?

Attachment 62199
    Easy way to rule this out is to try a different CH if you have one. Also, if you have another upper, try the same BCG and charging handle combination in it to see if you have the same issue. If you don’t have the same issue, then it’s very likely you have a gas tube / gas key alignment issue. My money is on an alignment issue.
    Last edited by Monkeydo; 05-08-20 at 12:56.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Tommy - you asked for help, several folks, myself included, have posted how to check and see if commonly seen issues are causing this problem. Maybe it is an oversight on your part by not mentioning that you've done the checks suggested, but the indications are that you haven't done the simple checks suggested.

This is why a lot of very knowledgeable folks don't offer suggestions in these matters.

You posted: If I pull it back 100% (or it locks back) and let go it seats fine. It's only when I don't pull it back 100% or if I don't slam it home that it gets hung up. Maybe this is normal?

The charging handle should be pulled back '100%' when you are locking the bolt to the rear, chambering a round, or clearing a FTF. If the charging handle locks into place when you have pulled it '100%' back then you are good to go.

If you are pulling the charging handle back partially, to check and see if, as an example, a round is chambered, then you will need to push it forward to ensure it locks.

By the way, don't bother checking that other stuff, it's just crazy talk.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 26 Inf View Post
    Tommy - you asked for help, several folks, myself included, have posted how to check and see if commonly seen issues are causing this problem. Maybe it is an oversight on your part by not mentioning that you've done the checks suggested, but the indications are that you haven't done the simple checks suggested.

This is why a lot of very knowledgeable folks don't offer suggestions in these matters.

You posted: If I pull it back 100% (or it locks back) and let go it seats fine. It's only when I don't pull it back 100% or if I don't slam it home that it gets hung up. Maybe this is normal?

The charging handle should be pulled back '100%' when you are locking the bolt to the rear, chambering a round, or clearing a FTF. If the charging handle locks into place when you have pulled it '100%' back then you are good to go.

If you are pulling the charging handle back partially, to check and see if, as an example, a round is chambered, then you will need to push it forward to ensure it locks.

By the way, don't bother checking that other stuff, it's just crazy talk.
    Yeah, sorry if some people felt ignored. I do appreciate the responses. Once I took the photos it prompted me to ask better questions, which ultimately answered my initial, somewhat misworded, inquiry.
    Last edited by TommyTwoTone; 05-08-20 at 14:11.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12