Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: 6.5CM vs 308

Feedback Score
    Having fired both, I’m not sure 6.5 PRC has more recoil than .308 Winchester.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    I have both also and they are about the same. I can't tell much of a difference. Definitely more recoil than the CM.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mRad View Post
    Having fired both, I’m not sure 6.5 PRC has more recoil than .308 Winchester.

I have not fired one, so that is based on what reviewers said. My thought was to limit recoil to 30-06 levels or below.

I thought it was interesting the 30-06 and 6.5 CM were close at 1000 yds, knowing the 30-06 definitely recoils more. I am a '06 fan but don't care to shoot 100 rounds from one in a session.

My Dad won a 6.5 PRC Savage Tactical Desert in a raffle right before the ammo shortage, hopefully I can shoot one sometime soon.

Andy
    Last edited by AndyLate; 05-01-21 at 07:39.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyLate View Post
    I have not fired one, so that is based on what reviewers said. My thought was to limit recoil to 30-06 levels or below.

I thought it was interesting the 30-06 and 6.5 CM were close at 1000 yds, knowing the 30-06 definitely recoils more. I am a '06 fan but don't care to shoot 100 rounds from one in a session.

My Dad won a 6.5 PRC Savage Tactical Desert in a raffle right before the ammo shortage, hopefully I can shoot one sometime soon.

Andy
    30-06 is actually a decent long range round if you get the right barrel and bullets. I remember a poster a few years back, I cant remember if it was this forum or another I use, built a modern precision rifle in 30-06. With good handloads and modern bullets it was almost like a "light" 300 Winmag.
    C co 1/30th Infantry Regiment
    3rd Brigade 3rd Infantry Division
    2002-2006
    OIF 1 and 3

IraqGunz:
    No dude is going to get shot in the chest at 300 yards and look down and say "What is that, a 3 MOA group?"

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by FightinQ View Post
    I'm already well invested in .308 and and have yet to be disappointed. Plus I don't feel any real change in recoil between the two. Shooting both side by side, it used the same 500 yard hold up to 500 yards, so I saw no valid reason for myself to get on board as .308 has never once stopped working for me. Cheaper ammo, easier to find ammo too if in a pinch, and I've already got the time vetting loads and an a very big ammo pile in the tens of thousands.

I'm not a sniper, so I won't pretend to be one.I don't PRS nor want to. I don't hunt either but that's a personal choice. And neither am I ever planning on taking a .308 or the other to "war" for that matter as well, that's being ridiculous for home defense. For up to 500 yards, .308 never stopped working for terminal effects on humans and with the advantages of better bullet technologies out there, it's still being validated for my intended uses of it.

As for terminal, both will do it just as effectively within reasonable distances to be honest. The rest is just subjective.
    Reads like a great answer. I chose .308, too.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by C-grunt View Post
    30-06 is actually a decent long range round if you get the right barrel and bullets. I remember a poster a few years back, I cant remember if it was this forum or another I use, built a modern precision rifle in 30-06. With good handloads and modern bullets it was almost like a "light" 300 Winmag.
    I think I've read that same thread. In fact, it's inspired me to do the same with an extra 26" heavy .308 target barrel I have in the safe. I'm looking to see how fast I can push 210/215 grain Bergers with slow burning powders.

For more conventional use, and with careful handloading, 180's can be pushed to 2800 fps out of a 24" barrel.

Feedback Score
    The thing about .30-06 is that pressure of commercial ammo is lower than what it is capable of. Most, if not all, match ammunition is for pressure acceptable in rifles produced in 1906. If you’re a hand loader, you can nip on the heels of .300 Winchester Magnum.

Myself, I prefer a short action rifle and extended barrel life of a .308 over pushing the .30-06.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by C-grunt View Post
    You seek MontanaMarine ref the 06
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Feedback Score
    69 (100%)
    Savage put on a Range day this weekend for our LGS and some of my associates who has never shot past 200 were consistently smacking the 1000 yard plate with a 6.5cm, and even with the 110 ultralight the recoil was manageable enough to spot the impact on the plate.
    I paint spaceship parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    Stippled Glocks are like used underwear; previous owner makes all the difference in value.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234