Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 6.5CM vs 308

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    You are right jack, I must have misheard about barrett.

I found this article:

https://sofrep.com/news/socom-wants-...-6-5mm-rounds/

and it seems to agree with your statement of 6.5 outranging 308 by 33% for practical accuracy. It took a lot to get my Savage MSR10 to run right, but now that it does; I see why a 6.5 gasser would be a great people killer. With an 18" barrel my 140gr FMJ (0.53 G1 2550 FPS) is ballistically equivalent to m118LR from a full 24" tube. And softer to shoot, which means better self spotting.
    Tactical Nylon Micro Brewery

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    This makes me almost regret getting into .308 and not 6.5.

But I've always wanted .308, I like the cheaper ball ammo, and it will still get me to 1000yds which is all I want.

I wonder what the barrel life of a semi-auto 6.5 will be.
    It is from the construction of underground FEMA camps. I can't say more because there a guy parked in front of house in an AMC Pacer. He is acting like he talking on the phone, but I know better.

I have to sign off now & put my laptop in the microwave.
    - cqbdriver

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zane1844 View Post
    This makes me almost regret getting into .308 and not 6.5.

But I've always wanted .308, I like the cheaper ball ammo, and it will still get me to 1000yds which is all I want.

I wonder what the barrel life of a semi-auto 6.5 will be.
    Pretty cool article, KAC selling SOCOM 6.5's, pretty darn cool.

Barrel life should be a touch better with 308, but no money savings on 6.5 ammo. 6.5 is very cheap and very good for the money.

PB

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I think the battle cry that "6.5 burns barrels" came from the benchrest crowd. It is legitimately the only downside they could find making the transition between 6.5 and 308. I don't think that 6.5 in semi auto guns that are not sub moa to begin with, will wear out too much faster than a 308 barrel in same platform. Also the barrels in benchrest application are typically untreated SS where as some of these gasser barrels are either QPQ or CL making them last considerably longer. In that last article i referenced it said that SOCOM specifically tested to see if there was any additional wear making the conversion and didn't find anything worth mentioning.

EDIT: also to reference cheaper 308 ball. In my experience the M80 or L2a1? ammo is all over the board in accuracy. I did see groups as large as 6 moa and smallest being 3 moa from 147gr ball. In contrast I can get Seller N Bellot 140gr FMJ for 0.70 a round and it shoots consistently under 2 moa. To get that level of accuracy I would have to spend at least $1 a round in 308. And when I spend real money on 6.5 it gets even better.
    Last edited by turnburglar; 05-08-20 at 15:50.
    Tactical Nylon Micro Brewery

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by FromMyColdDeadHand View Post
    Barrel life edge goes to 308. Did I see that Berger has a 156 Gr hunting round in 6.5? To me, the 6.5PRC is about distance, like past 1200-1400 yards. I guess speed kills, and more speed would make a better hunting round, but if the bullets are coming apart at lower speeds...
    You are definitely right about barrel life. I've seen 156gr EOL Berger loads for the 6.5PRC. I do like the distance advantage the PRC has. The barrel life is a trade off. On average I'm reading counts of 3000 +/-.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    Which is more deadly? 6.5CM with 140 grain fodder vs 308 with 168 fodder? Or whatever is a fair comparison. Wonder what Military experts say or ballistic experts say? I'm sure this has been beaten up somewhere but I couldn't find it.

I believe both are great, but is there a winner winner chicken dinner?

I know shot placement is key but other than that..?

PB
    I think there are so many factors to think about here. The 6.5 should be easier to connect with. The .308 retains more weight/momentum. What kind of bullet? What kind of game?

If I’m trying to kill with a 6.5, I’m going to choose 6.5 PRC or 6.5-284.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Swedes have used 6.5X55 forever killing Moose.

The hook is (as you said) shot placement and bullet construction.
    Pinpoint shot placement is easier with a softer recoiling rifle, so a nod to 6.5.
    We Americans are pretty fond of .30 caliber though.
    A true "Gun Guy" (or gal) should have familiarity and a modicum of proficiency with most all firearms platforms.

Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    Nah, they are KAC guns. That's literally my program.
    Ultimately 6.5 was selected because it puts projectile into people at longer range more consistently than .308, at lower recoil.
    Bit late to this one; hope this means you get a nice fat bonus come payday? Serious though-thats way groovy man, congrats!
    Per Ardua ad Astra.
    STS - gone but not forgotten.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    Nah, they are KAC guns. That's literally my program.
    Ultimately 6.5 was selected because it puts projectile into people at longer range more consistently than .308, at lower recoil.
    What ammunition are you using between the two?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by PracticalRifleman View Post
    What ammunition are you using between the two?
    Unsure of exactly what you mean, but most comparisons are between .308 175gr SMK at 2600 ft/s and .264 140gr Berger Hybrid at 2730 ft/s.
    You can drop the MV on the .264 Berger Hybrid down to 2450 ft/s and still out-perform the .308 175gr SMK where it matters.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast