Thread: Semi-drop in 9mm barrel

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Semi-drop in 9mm barrel

I am looking for a semi-fit barrel to convert my Colt .38 super to 9mm. Looking for recommendations. I'll have a smith do the fitting.

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    You could look into Kart Xact Fit barrels. I started a thread some time ago about those.
    https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...el-experiences

Not all that much information from the thread, but some people did state that they use them.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    The Kart Exact Fit barrels require considerable fitting but can be extremely accurate. They aren’t “drop in”.
    The Nowlin “drop in” required quite a bit a fitting as well but are accurate as well.
    A true "Gun Guy" (or gal) should have familiarity and a modicum of proficiency with most all firearms platforms.

Feedback Score
    I got an Ed Brown drop in 9MM from Brownells and all it required was a few file strokes on the side of the hood. It comes with the link installed and a bushing.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by batman4706 View Post
    I got an Ed Brown drop in 9MM from Brownells and all it required was a few file strokes on the side of the hood. It comes with the link installed and a bushing.
    Yeah, I took a chance and the opportunity of a sale at Brownells and ordered the Ed Brown. A local smith recommended the Barsto but it was roughly $100.00 more. Would a Barsto shoot $100.00 better? Maybe, I place function slightly over accuracy so if the EB functions as well as the Colt barrel and is reasonably accurate I'll be happy.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    So as an update to the barrel install:
    I had a smith do the fitting to the Ed Brown drop in 9mm barrel. It locks up tight and the bushing is quite tight, requiring a bushing wrench to turn. I have one but I'm not sure about that quality in a bushing. However, the 9mm barrel is a competition only item so maybe it's alright to have it so tight. When cleaning and inspecting I noticed that the original Colt extractor was a bit worn so for a few dollars more I got a Wilson Combat bulletproof unit as cheap insurance. I installed that myself.
    So with hand cycling with dummies ejection was quite iffy, extraction great! But ejection weak or non existent. I went to the range today without much confidence it would function since it still had the short .38 super ejector, the one that doesn't extend beyond the mag opening. I only had one dedicated 9mm mag in the form of a Mecgar 10 rounder, the rest are .38 super mags.
    Yet... it functioned fine! Ejection was positive with empties landing a few feet to the right, not far, definitely not AK 47 positive. But no FTE's even when held weakly, horizontal right or left and upside down. All magazines worked, even the .38 super mags.
    I guess hand cycling just isn't violent enough? I'm using a #13 Wilson flatwire spring, I have some weaker springs I can try but the Wilson seems to work with the Federal 115 ball I'm using.
    Quite happy with it!
    Last edited by 1986s4; 06-02-20 at 15:58.

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    That is awesome! I'm happy to hear it works for you.