Page 61 of 61 FirstFirst ... 1151596061

Thread: Ahmaud Arbery Shooting

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Core781 View Post
    Buried in a prison cemetery in some states. I did not watch the trial, so I can no longer comment. But from the initial video it appeared to be self defense to me. This is why we have to allow due process before rushing to judgment. I hope they got a fair trial and got what they deserve for killing the young man: but to me the video seemed pretty clear that he attacked the son and attempted to disarm him.
    Wow... just... wow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "One cannot awaken a man who pretends to be asleep..."

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jsbhike View Post
    1) no idea why he couldn't have been jogging. He appeared to have been in decent shape and that seemed to have been reflected in the coroner's report.

2) While I am not sure if the property owner would have been backed by law to have taken the same actions as the trio, the fact(based on news so far) is none of the 3 witnessed him commit a crime.

3) hate crimes/federal involvement in stuff like this is BS. As far as a racial component? Maybe. I didn't think so i initially, but there is the claim from Bryan as well as the dad trying to send a coded message from jail which could indicate a group. Either way, why they did it is a non-issue(in my opinion) with the fact that they did it being the problem.
    He was dressed in shoes that would lead one to believe he may not have been ideally dressed for a long, fast run but that’s neither here nor there

Not sure why you would not think of race. There are racist folks in this world. A lot of - not all - own Firearms. Some are not afraid to use them. Some live in Black neighborhoods and others in White neighborhoods. Given the history of this nation and how bifurcated this society has become I think it logical to draw conclusions opposite from what you initially did.

The video I saw showed the officer on the scene not giving a crap about the now deceased. Never attempted ANY first aid. Never touched him. When asked his condition he responded “he’s soon to be dead.”

Also, the first DA was up to some crap and got sentenced, too.

Aubrey may have not been perfect - who is? - but these guys... Evil. Or at least the behaved that way and then tried to cover their tracks.

"One cannot awaken a man who pretends to be asleep..."

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mjolnir View Post
    He was dressed in shoes that would lead one to believe he may not have been ideally dressed for a long, fast run but that’s neither here nor there

Not sure why you would not think of race. There are racist folks in this world. A lot of - not all - own Firearms. Some are not afraid to use them. Some live in Black neighborhoods and others in White neighborhoods. Given the history of this nation and how bifurcated this society has become I think it logical to draw conclusions opposite from what you initially did.

The video I saw showed the officer on the scene not giving a crap about the now deceased. Never attempted ANY first aid. Never touched him. When asked his condition he responded “he’s soon to be dead.”

Also, the first DA was up to some crap and got sentenced, too.

Aubrey may have not been perfect - who is? - but these guys... Evil. Or at least the behaved that way and then tried to cover their tracks.

The footwear comment was due to claims he was out in boots made by people wanting the trio off the hook which was countered by the coroner's report and video of Arbery wearing "grey athletic shoes."

Haven't seen the video of the 1st cop on scene, but according to his court testimony he checked on Arbery and due to various conditions he observed there was nothing that could be done for him.

https://www.11alive.com/article/news...e-3b0524070011

I can find where the DA Jackie Johnson has been arrested and charged on official corruption flavor stuff, but not sentenced. From reading about this case and several others, had Johnson and other officials been pursued years ago for wrong doing I could see where Arbery along with a cop's ex-wife and her new boyfriend might still be alive(along with who knows what else ending up better) since there seems to have been an obvious case of rules and laws only applying to some people while members of a clique were free to behave however they desired without consequence.

On the racial end of it, I really don't care. Had the McMichaels hated Arbery, but left him alone then really nothing matters. Travis McMichael's use of the slur does tend to point to race being a possible motivating factor and Greg McMichael's attempt to send a coded message from jail could also indicate more than just a shade tree disliking of blacks.

On the not assuming side of things, there are a lot of people that lose their minds over property ranging from incorrectly assuming where the lines are to wanting to determine who may enter and leave someone else's property with the latter being a huge part of this case.
    Last edited by jsbhike; 01-08-22 at 09:58.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by bp7178 View Post
    In simple terms, the same reason Kyle was acquitted for the two after he killed the pedophile, was the same reason the McMichaels were convicted.

The McMichaels had no first hand knowledge Arbery doing anything illegal. A citizen, read not a trained and duly appointed commissioned LEO, cannot arrest or detain someone based on evidence. Only on crimes in which they directly witnessed.
    Georgia law at the time of the incident allowed for arrest on "reasonable and probable grounds of suspicion" in the case of a felony. The law has since been repealed as a result of this case.

§ 17-4-60 - Grounds for arrest
    O.C.G.A. 17-4-60 (2010)

A private person may arrest an offender if the offense is committed in his presence or within his immediate knowledge. If the offense is a felony and the offender is escaping or attempting to escape, a private person may arrest him upon reasonable and probable grounds of suspicion.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Disciple View Post
    Georgia law at the time of the incident allowed for arrest on "reasonable and probable grounds of suspicion" in the case of a felony. The law has since been repealed as a result of this case.
    The catches are, his being in the house probably wasn't a crime under GA law in the first place and certainly wasn't justification for the trio since they had no say in or knowledge of who the owner wanted on the property.

Using their commission of a crime to justify any action against citizens arrest power is, of course, a total crock of shit.
    Last edited by jsbhike; 01-08-22 at 16:24.

Feedback Score
    What felony was committed or even suspected of being committed?

The answer is none. Therefore, according to GA law, there was NO legal justification for a citizens arrest, and the McMichaels were in commission of felony attempted false imprisonment.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by B Cart View Post
    What felony was committed or even suspected of being committed?
    Weren't there ongoing burglaries in the area with a suspect matching his description? I don't think that amounted to "reasonable and probable grounds of suspicion" but it does seem like the motivation.
    Last edited by Disciple; 01-08-22 at 22:03.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Weren't there ongoing burglaries in the area with a suspect matching his description? I don't think that amounted to "reasonable and probable grounds of suspicion" but it does seem like the motivation.
    The laws in each state vary to some degree. Where I am...not GA, even to get to a Trespassing 1st, there has to be signs posted or the offender have been given prior warning etc., and at best that's a misdemeanor offense. A trespassing 2nd, where someone would have been expected to know they aren't allowed, isn't even classified as a criminal offense, but an infraction, because the authorized punishment is only fine and no incarceration is allowed.

Here, a burglary would be, entering or remaining unlawfully, a building or inhabitable structure, for the purposes of committing a crime therein. A foundation with framed walls doesn't really hit that mark. We'd be getting into a tangent there, as to when a house under construction meets that legal mark. But, I live in a subdivision with new construction. Once a contract has been put on the lot and a sold sign is there, I wouldn't walk though it. I wouldn't chase down some dude that did though.

What burglary though? He (they) would have had been acting on a specific incident of which they had knowledge. Some of these FB groups have residents thinking they live in the most crime ridden place on the planet, but it just isn't so. The perception grows then people overreact, like they did here. Chasing some dude down in a truck with a shotgun? That was some bubba shit.
    Last edited by bp7178; 01-08-22 at 22:44.

Feedback Score
    I don't remember reading much on the validity of those supposed area burglaries, however, that still provides zero evidence that Arbery was in any way tied to them. The McMichaels were making a total guess, and didn't see Arbery commit any crime, let alone a felony, therefore what they did was reckless and unlawful. You can't just grab your guns and go chasing and corning and trying to detain people with guns drawn because you "think" they "may" have been involved in a supposed crime.

Page 61 of 61 FirstFirst ... 1151596061