Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is it possible to make a reliable 762 x 39 AR?

Feedback Score

Is it possible to make a reliable 762 x 39 AR?

Yes square peg round hole but for some reason its always intrigued me and sometime I feel like it would be a good change of pace from my AKs. Ive gone back and forth on it over the years and have probably read more on it that most people have or even should. So I think I just need to scratch the itch and get it out of my system.

My struggle is making one thats reliable, fun range toys are fun range toys but I at least like to make an effort for all of my stuff to have some other purpose as well.

Two issues with a x39 are mags and bolts. Mags get solved by using a AK lower, I like the idea in theory of using a standard lower but I hate those hybrid AR/AK mags and most of them are less than reliable.

So the real struggle I have is the bolt, from everything Ive seen using a bolt in a standard AR upper the bolt will eat itself eventually. Yes there is the mutant/mk47 which I suppose would be the ideal solution but its nearly all proprietary, if I could even just drop the upper on a standard lower it would be fine but you cant even do that. So that route is out, so its a complete gun and its more than Im willing to spend for this experiment.

So does anyone make a bolt for the x39 that wont eat itself after a few thousand rounds or is this just something I need to give up on and say this it why 300 blk exists.
    Last edited by loki993; 05-08-20 at 15:02.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    My buddy has a PSA x39 AR that uses an AR lower and the weird goofy mags. He has tried lots of different types of mags and none have worked with more than 10 rounds loaded. He is pretty bummed he bought into the platform. If I where you I would look at the CMMG Mutant because it uses a AR10 bolt and AK magazines.
    Tactical Nylon Micro Brewery

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I tried investigating this many many years ago due to all the inexpensive 7.62X39 ammo I had from the late 90's-2000's and never found something I wanted. I ended up with a 2nd gen Sig 556R which is sort of an hybrid (more Ak than AR) but is reliable and I can run it suppressed.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    PSA KS-47 Gen 2 is what you seek: https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-...165450182.html

Scout Rider for the Mongol Hordes

Feedback Score
    Zero experience myself, but I have heard that this is the most long lasting bolt: https://lmtdefense.com/product/l7r3b/
    Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

老僧三十年前未參禪時、見山是山、見水是水、及至後夾親見知識、有箇入處、見山不是山、見水不是水、而今得箇體歇處、依然見山秪是山、見水秪是水。

https://www.instagram.com/defaultmp3/

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by caporider View Post
    Ive been seriously considering just getting ones of these and just running the piss out of it until it breaks to see and try to fix it. Its probably the best option. I was going to use one of their lowers anyway but I cant build one for that cheap.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by turnburglar View Post
    My buddy has a PSA x39 AR that uses an AR lower and the weird goofy mags. He has tried lots of different types of mags and none have worked with more than 10 rounds loaded. He is pretty bummed he bought into the platform. If I where you I would look at the CMMG Mutant because it uses a AR10 bolt and AK magazines.
    Yeah AK mag lowers fix that issue.

Quote Originally Posted by ndmiller View Post
    I tried investigating this many many years ago due to all the inexpensive 7.62X39 ammo I had from the late 90's-2000's and never found something I wanted. I ended up with a 2nd gen Sig 556R which is sort of an hybrid (more Ak than AR) but is reliable and I can run it suppressed.
    Yeah JDI got a limited run of 553s in x39 but they are rare now and expensive if you can find one. Then there is the Bren 2 and the Ace but again all pricey options. I will eventually probably own an Ace and/or a bren but right now they money isnt there, but buy once cry once and still if like to at least see how the AR runs with x39.

Feedback Score

Is it possible to make a reliable 762 x 39 AR?

We just went through this not two weeks ago. Get CPD Duramags in 7.62x39 28 round or less (for NATO mag holder compatibility) with a normal AR lower and a 7.62x39 bolt with either proper military machining or an extended firing pin and you’re golden 100% reliable with a 7.62x39 upper and steel case ammo.

You can do a little Google-fu and find all you want on it. PSA offers a complete upper with 7.62x39 BCG. So does Bear Creek Arsenal. AIM surplus has the Duramags and their own 7.62x39 BCG in melonite or NIB.

I’ve run a Radical upper 16” H-Bar with a H2 buffer, the AIM NiB BCG and Duramags. It ticks like a Swiss watch and is much more accurate than any AK I’ve shot. It shoots for 1/3 the price of 300BLK. Absolutely a blast to shoot and I highly recommend it.
    Last edited by anarchocap; 05-08-20 at 17:15.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by loki993 View Post
    Ive been seriously considering just getting ones of these and just running the piss out of it until it breaks to see and try to fix it. Its probably the best option. I was going to use one of their lowers anyway but I cant build one for that cheap.
    You definitely have to use a matched upper/lower set. The upper has tabs machined in that prevent magazine overinsertion. The barrel is sort of cool in that it has a single wide feed ramp across the entire bottom of the extension vs the 2 ramps you see on 5.56 barrels.
    Scout Rider for the Mongol Hordes

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I have built about 15 of these on standard lowers over the last 5 years and every one of them has run like champ ! 20,000+ rounds across all of them and not 1 broken bolt yet, just 1 extractor. I have used bolts from PSA, Aim & Tool craft. The real key to it all is a true Extended firing pin, a lot of site's claim they sell them but only a few do. Mags used from ASC (my personal fav) and c-products in 20 & 30 rounders work perfectly...

now the 74 is a whole nother story

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast