Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Is it possible to make a reliable 762 x 39 AR?

2 Hollers over from TNOutdoors9 Hickman County, TN
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RMC51 View Post
    I know a couple of the people that run it, one is a board member. Back a few years ago tried to join, but they let in Miami people instead of us in the Keys. Then the club bought the property and now they want our $ to help pay for it. Prefer Long Shot or Henry's. Tell your brother to try Henry's it's a great little Ma & Pa. If he wants, PM me I will take him up there.
    I didn't know they were picky on members. I am sure he is/was on the board. You heard Kiffney's is closing? Nice thing about that range is you can access it as a member with your own key.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by NQNPIII View Post
    I didn't know they were picky on members. I am sure he is/was on the board. You heard Kiffney's is closing? Nice thing about that range is you can access it as a member with your own key.
    Yes, and you know why don't you?
    I know Bill at the pawn shop. Good guy.
    Last edited by RMC51; 10-03-20 at 09:20.
    RMC51
    Florida Keys
    Always Look Behind

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RMC51 View Post
    Yes, and you know why don't you?
    I know Bill at the pawn shop.
    Yep. Silly boy, he was. Bro was trying to buy some GAP ammo at a going out of business discounted price. They were still high. My brother reloads and his duty weapon at the FHP is a G37. It will be retired in the hopefully near future.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by NQNPIII View Post
    Six of us from south of the 7 mile bridge tried to join and that year, none of us got in. They did let in Miami people. I know Bob ******* Construction Co, he is a board member and he was the one to recommend me, still didn't get in. At the time, no one south of the 7-mile bridge had a range to use. If we wanted to shoot, we had to go to Henry's in Homestead or one in Miami. Miami had ranges that they could use but the club let them in anyways instead of us. Henry's is about 100 miles for me; the club is about 50 miles. We thought it was unfair.
    Last edited by RMC51; 10-03-20 at 10:12. Reason: spelling
    RMC51
    Florida Keys
    Always Look Behind

Feedback Score

MGI Hydra

So did I, I bought one back before I joined here. Great concept. It works as a so so 5.56, 300 BO, 9mm, 22LR rifle is you don't mind after some use it wears and the barrel not locked in place so end result is 200 yard/ meter max effective range, with best to stay at 150 m for solid hit. Now on to the 7.62 and 5.45 ×39 part bolt carrier (AR-15 carrier) is milled off to clear AK mags and still work with AR mags, upper receiver too, that works fine. Now the elephant in the room, first bolt broke lugs on first magazine, got replacement bolt, 5 rounds broken extractor. Went through that battle for replacement again. Got pissed off bought my first AK, put bolt, barrel and magwell in parts collection. Fast forward 10 years I SBR'ed that lower, as I can buy a replacement magazines well I started to order the 9 mm magazines well but drop in one cost $100 vs $250. It's saving grace is almost any close to spec upper fits do to slight slop from wear then it's back up to longer range use too. Big plus is compact stowage especially with 7-9 in 300 bo setup. Heavy though, I could package it in CamelBak Mule with ammo, IFAC, ect. without being conspicuous. I have just broken down and bought another 7.62×39 bolt to try again.
    The owners, are good guys and have been good to on it.
    NRA Life Member.

Feedback Score

Is it possible to make a reliable 762 x 39 AR?

Since posting, I’ve bought a 16” PSA KS47 and have a Vortex Viper 1-4 zeroed it at 35 yards. I get under 2 MOA with Golden Tiger HP ammo and a bit over 2 MOA with Wolf Performance. Both group around an inch and a half high at 100. Have shot it out to 300 at 8” steel plates and can consistently hit at 250 and 7-8/10 hits at 300 holding at the top (12:00 position) of the plate

Only using PMAGS at this time. Had to “fit” a few to lock properly when inserted but not a big deal.

Zero FTF or FTE’s thus far after around 1000 rounds.

Pistol still shooting fine. Over 1K and no issues. Have no idea how accurate it is at any distance but up to 50 yards I’m hitting and happy.

But I’m no high speed guy, or someone me who is very familiar with an AK, so YMMV. I’m just an older guy who likes shooting fun guns...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by BuzzinSATX; 10-28-20 at 08:28.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    The older bolts were all made out of Carpenter 158.

The newer 9310 bolts seem to be holding up just fine despite their thinner walls.

I've been running a 9310 Fail Zero bolt for 3500 plus rounds out of a 10.5 inch faxon barrel without any issues. 100% of those rounds have been with a Resonator K attached. The gun has had zero function related failures. If I pussy foot the charging handle I can induce a malfunction but when it comes down to the gun simply feeding, firing and feeding, its absolutely 100%.

I adore this thing.

Having said that, I am only shooting it because the price of 5.56 is insane. If price of ammo were no issue, I would absolutely without a shadow of a doubt be shooting a 5.56 gun as they are better in every way imaginable.

Also, for purposes of sharing data, I have been using Cproducts 28 round magazines.

One more thing to add. The gun was an absolute BITCH to get running right. Between buffers, magazines and gas block settings...holy shit, what a bitch. I had to drill the gas port out as from the factory, the gun would NOT run with ANY buffer and spring setup from standard car all the way up to H3's. Lastly, i've had some weird compatibility issues. The gun would not run with the cproducts magazines in a variety of GI and aftermarket upper receivers when mounted on my ADM SBR lower.
    You are a genuine toolbag if you have your EDC "loadout" in your signature line...

Feedback Score
    My only experience in 10.5 is my Alpha Shooting Sports. So far no issues.

x39 has it's advantage over 5.56 in some arenas. It's better for cutting down trees!

Feedback Score
    Just posting back, since all the insanity and x39 seems to be one of the few cartridge that can be had for a relatively reasonable amount Ive been waiting for a 10.5 ks47 to pop in stock, they did today so I snapped one up. We will see how it runs but from everyone talking here I dont expect anything major and if there are issues I should be able to take care of them relatively easily.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RUTGERS95 View Post
    I built a sidecharging x39 with a BCA upper and it was gtg. I didn't have a single problem with it although I only had about 2300 rounds through it
    I was looking at BCA. What was your setup? Buffer/spring, magazine and such.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast