Thread: Is it possible to make a reliable 762 x 39 AR?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score

Is it possible to make a reliable 762 x 39 AR?

Yes square peg round hole but for some reason its always intrigued me and sometime I feel like it would be a good change of pace from my AKs. Ive gone back and forth on it over the years and have probably read more on it that most people have or even should. So I think I just need to scratch the itch and get it out of my system.

My struggle is making one thats reliable, fun range toys are fun range toys but I at least like to make an effort for all of my stuff to have some other purpose as well.

Two issues with a x39 are mags and bolts. Mags get solved by using a AK lower, I like the idea in theory of using a standard lower but I hate those hybrid AR/AK mags and most of them are less than reliable.

So the real struggle I have is the bolt, from everything Ive seen using a bolt in a standard AR upper the bolt will eat itself eventually. Yes there is the mutant/mk47 which I suppose would be the ideal solution but its nearly all proprietary, if I could even just drop the upper on a standard lower it would be fine but you cant even do that. So that route is out, so its a complete gun and its more than Im willing to spend for this experiment.

So does anyone make a bolt for the x39 that wont eat itself after a few thousand rounds or is this just something I need to give up on and say this it why 300 blk exists.
    Last edited by loki993; 05-08-20 at 15:02.