Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Is it possible to make a reliable 762 x 39 AR?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Smokin338 View Post
    I have built about 15 of these on standard lowers over the last 5 years and every one of them has run like champ ! 20,000+ rounds across all of them and not 1 broken bolt yet, just 1 extractor. I have used bolts from PSA, Aim & Tool craft. The real key to it all is a true Extended firing pin, a lot of site's claim they sell them but only a few do. Mags used from ASC (my personal fav) and c-products in 20 & 30 rounders work perfectly...

now the 74 is a whole nother story
    Luckily I have no interest in 5.45 since it isnt dirt cheap anymore.

So where are these firing pins you speak of? The plan was to basically get something from PSA either the complete gun or a, upper and lower and put them together ans swap the bolt out for either the LMT or the young manufacturing, if I need to.

Feedback Score

Is it possible to make a reliable 762 x 39 AR?

PSA 7.62x39 upper comes complete with the BCG that has the extended pin. You’d be GTG.

AIM Surplus 7.62x39 BCGs also come with the extended pin.

7.62x39 Bolts from Young’s are more expensive than whole BCGs and I haven’t seen an issue with PSA or AIM.
    Last edited by anarchocap; 05-09-20 at 22:46.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by loki993 View Post
    So where are these firing pins you speak of? The plan was to basically get something from PSA either the complete gun or a, upper and lower and put them together ans swap the bolt out for either the LMT or the young manufacturing, if I need to.
    PSA is 1 of the company's who's firing pin is a true extended 1. I can say the AIM 1's are not...

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Like posters Anarchocap and Smokin338, using similar components I have had great success and fun w/ my AR build in -39mm. Also recommend the ASC mags. I added a JP Enterprises adjustable gas block and tuned it to the bulk milsurp brand that I have cases of ammo of. All ejected empties would land in a 55-gal drum of I positioned it at the same spot whilst firing.

I call it my ‘308 short’ AR and love the heavier thump than pissy 5.56 loads. With ammo it LOVES I’ve shot sub-MOA groups at 200-yrds, e.g., PMC jacketed SPs. Mine wears an old Trijicon 1-4X w/ flo red triangle that Trijicon re-charged for me, sweet! It is my crappy weather deer rifle using that PMC ammo, in 5-round mags.
    Given that 10-shots are a group and 5-shots may be a favorable trend ... know that just one good 3-shot group can make you an instant internet superstar!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    What about using 6.5 Grendel? 6.8 SPC is another good choice with better barrier performance than the 6.5 caliber if your intent is for a fighting gun, however you can get steel cased 6.5 Grendel from Wolf for about $0.30 a round. So far Wolf has not adopted 6.8 SPC so the cheapest factory load is Hornaday American Gunner 110gr BTHP or Prvi Partizan 115gr BTHP at double the cost per round $0.60. If your after a plinking / target gun 6.5 is a hard to beat true intermediate caliber and has stellar accuracy. And yes it also performs very well on medium sized game so it could double as a hunting cartridge with similar performance to 6.8 in that regard.

https://ndiastorage.blob.core.usgovc...tl/Roberts.pdf

https://ndiastorage.blob.core.usgovc.../Zhou19394.pdf

http://www.frfrogspad.com/68spc.htm

https://youtu.be/BROdbEm5wqA

Here you go, wolf steel case 6.5 Grendel: https://www.targetsportsusa.com/wolf...l-p-58570.aspx

6.5 G is a very versatile cartridge and significantly outperforms 7.62x39mm.

Feedback Score
    The x39 is a lot about ammo cost and a little about not having to get into another caliber right now. I have an AK so I have the ammo and can use the x39 between the two guns. At some point even more x39 guns will work their way into my collection as well. Also Im looking for short barrel performance and the x39 does that well, yes 300 blk would be the ideal way to go here I know, but cost of ammo is currently a bit prohibitive. As I said in the OP, I like things to have a purpose as its sort of the way I justify spending the money I guess, but this is mostly just going to be a fun range blaster so Id like the keep to cost down and the cost of the ammo relatively low.

Ive always considered 6.5g more of a long range cartridge for the AR, maybe Im off base there. I dont really have a ton of interest in long range shooting and I dont hunt, so yeah. I did do a decent amount of reading on 6.5g years ago when it first was gaining popularity, when I was more interested in trying to shoot as far as I could with an AR15, but those days are long gone now.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by loki993 View Post
    The x39 is a lot about ammo cost and a little about not having to get into another caliber right now. I have an AK so I have the ammo and can use the x39 between the two guns. At some point even more x39 guns will work their way into my collection as well. Also Im looking for short barrel performance and the x39 does that well, yes 300 blk would be the ideal way to go here I know, but cost of ammo is currently a bit prohibitive. As I said in the OP, I like things to have a purpose as its sort of the way I justify spending the money I guess, but this is mostly just going to be a fun range blaster so Id like the keep to cost down and the cost of the ammo relatively low.

Ive always considered 6.5g more of a long range cartridge for the AR, maybe Im off base there. I dont really have a ton of interest in long range shooting and I dont hunt, so yeah. I did do a decent amount of reading on 6.5g years ago when it first was gaining popularity, when I was more interested in trying to shoot as far as I could with an AR15, but those days are long gone now.
    6.5 Grendel is just plain fun to shoot. You don't need to shoot long range or hunt to appreciate the caliber. I shoot 6.5 Grendel out of my KS-47 using a custom bolt and CSSpecs 6.5 Grendel AK mags. And steel cased Wolf 6.5G is $0.25 a round and pretty easy to find (just sayin').
    Scout Rider for the Mongol Hordes

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by caporider View Post
    6.5 Grendel is just plain fun to shoot. You don't need to shoot long range or hunt to appreciate the caliber. I shoot 6.5 Grendel out of my KS-47 using a custom bolt and CSSpecs 6.5 Grendel AK mags. And steel cased Wolf 6.5G is $0.25 a round and pretty easy to find (just sayin').
    yes the fact that they is actually steel case 6.5 is good and interesting that you can get that in wolf steel but cant get 300 BLK after all this time. I do know about the 300 blk wolf that is coming but still it sure took them long enough.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Get LMT enhanced bolt, they are made of Aermet 100 steel and have stress relief cuts on lugs there is not one bolt that will beat LMT WITHIN AR-15 bolt size. But You should just buy CMMG mutant which use ar-10 bolt that would never break under whimpy 7.62-39 back thrust compared to spicy .308 that AR-10 bolt was designed for. Sure LMT is expensive but she's worth it.

LMT enhanced
    LMT.jpg

Mutant
    cmmg_mk_47_bolt_face.jpg

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    I always thought the interchangeable mag wells was an interesting concept, no clue on the execution.
    http://www.mgi-military.com/image_up...0MP%204-12.pdf
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast