Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Is it possible to make a reliable 762 x 39 AR?

Feedback Score
    Ultimately, I just don’t think an X39 is a good choice for the AR15. If using a regular lower, then the magwell has too long a straight section and the rounds don’t stack right in the mags. Go to an AK magwell, now there’s no BHO. The charging handle just wasn’t intended to be used every mag change. That’s ultimately why the new Bren 2’s have their own proprietary mag....to avoid all of these compromises.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by dlrflyer View Post
    Ultimately, I just don’t think an X39 is a good choice for the AR15. If using a regular lower, then the magwell has too long a straight section and the rounds don’t stack right in the mags. Go to an AK magwell, now there’s no BHO. The charging handle just wasn’t intended to be used every mag change. That’s ultimately why the new Bren 2’s have their own proprietary mag....to avoid all of these compromises.
    Yeah, I agree getting 7.62x39 to run in an AR is an exercise in compromises, especially for a hard-use fighting rifle. However, if you're OK with living within the limitations of using AK mags on an AR, the builds can be fun an reliable.

I solved the charging handle issue by putting a Devil Dog Concepts Hard Charger on my KS-47. It works really well and is buttery smooth.

Scout Rider for the Mongol Hordes

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dlrflyer View Post
    This is usually what happens when I get this in my head to try, at first it seems like a good idea then I think of all the reasons its not. Its why I haven't done it yet. Best option is probably just spend the money and get a Galil Ace or a Bren 2.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by loki993 View Post
    This is usually what happens when I get this in my head to try, at first it seems like a good idea then I think of all the reasons its not. Its why I haven't done it yet. Best option is probably just spend the money and get a Galil Ace or a Bren 2.
    There are multiple people who have posted in here with zero issues for standard lower AR-15s over thousands of rounds for x39. I literally spent $350 for an upper, BCG, and some 28 round Duramags.

So what exactly is a bad idea?

Feedback Score
    I have had very good performance and reliability from my 11" - 7.62x39 pistol. I run a Kak Barrel and BCG group together. I use C-Product/Duramag mags as well. Shoots anything well with pretty good accuracy. That is 5,000 rounds in.

Feedback Score
    10 years ago building a 7.62x39 was tricky.
    Not today. Good mags are the key, CPD/Duramags work best for me. Don’t confuse them with the older C Products mags, not the same. Newer CPDs have a nice slick Teflon like finish and strong springs for feeding steel case properly.
    An enhanced firing pin is a must, and most BCGs come with them. If you’re running an enhanced pin you won’t need a stronger hammer spring, any GI single stage is fine.
    I’ve had zero problems both with a 16” PSA upper and a Radical Firearms 10” upper.
    The bolt is the weak link in a 7.62x39 AR so buying a good one or having a spare is a good idea. LMT is my preference but not cheap. Toolcraft is a fine budget option. AIM Surplus too.
    The PS47 seems to be a good platform but the receivers are wider than a std. AR. With CPD mags and a 7.62x39 upper you can use anyone’s lower. The PS47 carrier is proprietary too.

If you’re like me and have a few AKs with Romanian, Hungarian, Polish & Yugo surplus mags, don’t expect them all to fit without mods. Running Magpul MOEs you’ll be fine.

Feedback Score
    Your mileage may vary but ASC mags don't like mine. D&H are the ones that work for me but I haven't tried anything else. I bought a few and they worked so I bought a lot more. I'm using an AIM bolt and the cheapest barrel in the world. I have had light primer strikes but only with reloads. It works well with factory brass cased ammo. I bought enough steel cased to make sure it works but feed it brass mostly.
    One of my close friends had a PSA and I really liked it. By the time he was ready to sell it I decided to pass because of the proprietary parts. Sorry not sorry but but I'm not ready to trust them as the only manufacturer of parts for any one gun I own. CMMG would be a different story if I had just a little more money coming out the wazoo. I decided to stick with something that I could swap another caliber upper onto rather than save $$$ with AK mags.

Feedback Score
    Regarding D&H mags, I grabbed some D&H 6.5Grendel AR mags which have the same construction as their 7.62x39 mags, with the flat sides and the arrows/chevrons stamped on the sides. They work well, very heavy gauge steel. I plan to grab a few in 7.62x39 as well. Hard to find though, last I looked only Optics Planet had 10 rounders and Atlantic Firearms we’re selling a pair of $30s for around $50 but not individually. My D&H 5.56 & .300bo specific mags have never failed for me.

Feedback Score
    Just curious with the Grendel, isnt it more or less based on the x39? So wouldn't it have the same bolt issues as x39 guns do? Do grendels break bolts like x39 guns do?

Also what about short barrel performance? I wanted to build a short pistol and I always considered grendels to be better out of a longer barrel for longer ranges
    Last edited by loki993; 05-26-20 at 09:56.

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by loki993 View Post
    Yes square peg round hole but for some reason its always intrigued me and sometime I feel like it would be a good change of pace from my AKs. Ive gone back and forth on it over the years and have probably read more on it that most people have or even should. So I think I just need to scratch the itch and get it out of my system.

My struggle is making one thats reliable, fun range toys are fun range toys but I at least like to make an effort for all of my stuff to have some other purpose as well.

Two issues with a x39 are mags and bolts. Mags get solved by using a AK lower, I like the idea in theory of using a standard lower but I hate those hybrid AR/AK mags and most of them are less than reliable.

So the real struggle I have is the bolt, from everything Ive seen using a bolt in a standard AR upper the bolt will eat itself eventually. Yes there is the mutant/mk47 which I suppose would be the ideal solution but its nearly all proprietary, if I could even just drop the upper on a standard lower it would be fine but you cant even do that. So that route is out, so its a complete gun and its more than Im willing to spend for this experiment.

So does anyone make a bolt for the x39 that wont eat itself after a few thousand rounds or is this just something I need to give up on and say this it why 300 blk exists.
    Mrgunsngear has a good video about a build he did. I have a Faxon barrel (the same one he used), gas block and gas tube for sale if you're interested. He used a Brownells BCG with an enhanced firing pin from Red X Arms.

Last edited by officerX; 05-26-20 at 09:53.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast