Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Brass resizing advice

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret View Post
    I use an expander ball so that the neck internal diameter is consistent regardless of the case wall thickness at the neck. I've never used a Lee collet neck die, but from what I've seen it does the same thing in a different manner.
    Most people these days have learned that an expanded mandrel in a separate step minimizes runout and better preserves cartridge dimensions than expanding during sizing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret View Post
    I use an expander ball so that the neck internal diameter is consistent regardless of the case wall thickness at the neck. I've never used a Lee collet neck die, but from what I've seen it does the same thing in a different manner.
    It does exactly that without all the downside of an expanderball. No need to lube inside the neck, no runout, no case stretch, etc. Plus, the dies are cheap... wear one out, and get another for $19 or whatever.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Interesting. I may give one a try the next time I place an order. I've never really had an issue with using an expander ball though. Plus, I might not be a good enough shot for it to matter. I'm currently able to make ammo that out shoots the factory match grade stuff, so that keeps me satisfied. Still, if I can do better, why not.

Feedback Score
    The best part about reloading is the person doing the reloading decides how to do it

I have the Lee collet dies, redding bushing dies, standard RCBS and Lee dies and I prefer the Forster full length dies.

Below are how much diffrent .223 dies work the neck and then you also have neck thickness that effects the amount of pull on the neck.

Below are just some of my .223 dies I have tested for neck runout after sizing. And the Forster die produce the same or less runout than the Lee collet die or using a expander die.

There is a very simple solution to reducing the pull on the case neck, polish the expander and lube the inside of the case neck. And using the dies expander is not the end of the world when it is set up properly to reduce neck runout.

Below I replaced all my RCBS expanders with Forster high mounted floating expanders. The Forster expanders enters the case neck when it is held and centered in the neck of the die. meaning the forster expander can not pull the necks off center.

Yes the Lee collet die or a expander die works very well, "BUT" I get the same results with a Forster die and only have to size the case once. The military conciders ammunition that has .003 or less bullet runout to be match grade ammunition. And most dies if setup properly can achieve .003 or less neck runout and even a cheap Lee full length die like below.

The Lee expander is held and centered by its locking collet, and with many other dies the expander can be locked down off center.

Accuracy Potential of Mil-Surp 5.56×45 Brass

So, how accurate can previously-fired GI surplus brass be in a good National Match AR-15? Well, here’s a data point from many years ago that might be of interest. A High Power shooter who wrote for the late Precision Shooting magazine took a Bill Wylde-built AR match rifle to a registered Benchrest match. His first 5-round group ever fired in a BR match was officially measured at 0.231″ at 200 hundred yards. This was fired in front of witnesses, while using a moving target backer that confirmed all five rounds were fired.

He recounted that his ammo was loaded progressively with factory 52gr match bullets and a spherical powder using mixed years of LC brass with no special preparation whatsoever. Obviously, this was “exceptional”. However, he had no difficulty obtaining consistent 0.5-0.6 MOA accuracy at 200 yards using LC brass and a generic “practice” load that was not tuned to his rifle.

TECH Tip: How to Reduce Run-Out with Seating Dies

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/...-seating-dies/

NOTE, below the Army Marksmanship Unit is using Hornady OneShot to lube their cases.

Slick Tricks: Techniques and Tools for Big-Batch Case Lubrication

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/...e-lubrication/

Hand-Loading for Semi-Auto Service Rifles — Six Key Rules
    http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/...six-key-rules/

RULE ONE: Service Rifles Are Not Benchrest Rifles

Gas-guns require a relatively loose fit between ammunition and chamber (vs. bolt actions) for safe, smooth operation. Many techniques, such as neck sizing and keeping cartridge headspace quite tight, are popular in the extreme bolt gun accuracy realm. However, they are of little value with Service Rifles, and some could even be hazardous. Before adopting a specialized technique, seriously consider whether it is appropriate and beneficial in a gas-gun.

RULE THREE: Tailor the Precision to Your Individual Skill and Your Rifle’s Potential

This has been addressed here before, but bears repeating for newcomers. If you are struggling to break out of the Marksman Class, or using a CMP M1 “As-Issued,” then laboriously turning the necks of your 600-yard brass is a waste of time. Your scores will improve much faster by practicing or dry-firing. On the other hand, if the reigning champions anxiously check your scores each time you fire an event, a little neck-turning might not be so far-fetched.

Again, The best part about reloading is the person doing the reloading decides how to do it. "BUT" remember using benchrest techniques on AR15 type rifles can be waisted effort.
    Last edited by bigedp51; 06-16-20 at 13:16.

Feedback Score
    Interesting discussion. I also polish the expander ball on my RCBS dies. I use the glycerine RCBS lube to lube my cases. I usually put 200 in a plastic gallon freezer bag and put in the lube. I stir the bag around and let it set for a couple hours. This allows the lube to creep into the necks and lube the inside of the case mouth.
    When I'm done sizing and depriming I use hot water and simple Green to wash off the lube. Then I finish the brass using a Crow trimmer and ream out the primer crimp. Then everything goes into the tumbler with crushed walnut shells.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123