Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hodgdon CFE 223

Feedback Score

Hodgdon CFE 223

This was the only powder available locally, figure it was worth trying for range reloads, practice and plinking.
    anyone have any input on it. i am using up all the 55 gr projectiles I have at the moment.
    TIA Greg

Feedback Score
    I have this as well but haven't used it. It's been a while lol

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk
    #ifyourhandtouchesmetal,I swearbymyprettyfloralbonnet,I willendyou

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    I’ve used it recently. 100% reliability in my AR’s with Hornady 55gr fmj’s and 25.5gr of powder. It was just something to do to pass some time. Borrowed a friends 223 dies. I’m not a 5.56/.223 reloader.
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”
    - Mark Twain

Feedback Score
    I've used it behind 77gr smk at 750 yards and did .5moa.

I bought 8lbs of h322 and take regret it. It doesn't run through the measure as consistent at cfe223 nor seem to be as accurate. CFE is great powder

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I need to try it again. Accuracy wise I was getting .63-.65” 5 shot groups at 100 yards. But the primers were showing pressure signed, no piercing though. I was still well below max load for Hornady 75 grain HPBT. I will see if I can find some casings and show the primers. Best way to describe is that they expanded/flattened against the bolt face, no ‘flowing’ into the firing pin hole though. No ejector swipe at all.
    ETC (SW/AW), USN (1998-2008)
    CVN-65, USS Enterprise

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    shoot I have gone through 3 8lbs jugs and am about to finish up that one. My go to all day everyday 55gr plinking powder. I duplicate the 55gr FMJBT PMC Bronze loads with it.

26.8gr out of BCM/Colt 14.5 SOCOM barrels. Velocities are on my computer if you would like them...

Feedback Score
    A couple years ago I saw the Johnny’s Reloading Bench MK262 video where he fired his best group ever with CFE223. As this COVID-19 hullabaloo started, and I saw how much 556 ammo had gone up in price, I decided to start reloading again. Remembering that YouTube video... I found A 500ct box of 77gr SMK’s at Brownell's, and CFE223 at Midway. Found some Sierra 55gr HP’s and more CFE223 locally.

While setting up my reloading stuff once again I checked the Internet and saw nothing but complaints starting in 2016 about CFE223 and regretted my purchase. Said what the heck and loaded it up anyways.

55gr HP’s with Win. brass and Win. primer and 27.2 grs. of CFE got me 2855 fps, and the groups were under 2 MOA, although I was just using an old 1x9 twist Bushy and looking more at velocity and SD than accuracy. I can’t remember any other data besides that, and for some reason I can’t find where I wrote it down right now, but I remember the SD was kind of high with all loads tested. 27.2 must of been the best because that’s the only one I wrote down before switching to .308 CFE loads.

Couple weeks later tried the 77’s with TAC, CFE223, and 2000MR. The only charge weight I tried with the CFE was the 24.4 gr. load from the video. Not thinking much would come from it, I just used crappy Winchester brass and plain old Winchester primers. Got to try them today at 100 using a BCM Recce 16 with LaRue rail, 1x8 twist Wylde stainless barrel, and Vortex Strike Eagle 1-8 scope. The wind was blowing very erratically and it was just resting on a backpack, so I wasn’t expecting much...
    .75 inch 5 shot group!

Now velocity was ‘only’ 2520 FPS, and the SD was 15, which is pretty good for me as I don’t trickle powder, I take it straight from the measure. Even though this is nowhere close to MK 262 velocity, the accuracy is so good I’m going to dedicate this upper to it.

For reference...

IMI Razor Core 77gr SMK’s did 2639 FPS with an SD of 23. 1.5 MOA

26.7 grs. of 2000mr in Nosler brass with BR4 primer did 2648 with an SD of 13. Held exactly 1 MOA. Recoil seemed kinda stout, maybe a slight primer smear.

I do NOT regret getting CFE223.
    Last edited by Pilgrim; 04-26-20 at 20:17. Reason: Auto correct...

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ubet View Post
    I bought 8lbs of h322 and take regret it. It doesn't run through the measure as consistent at cfe223 nor seem to be as accurate.
    Wow. Really? H322 is my go to for accuracy. It naturally won't meter like ball powder, but still delivers. I've only used 1 lb of CFE in the past. It worked great, but this was before I loaded Sierra Matchkings and got more into precision.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Wow. Really? H322 is my go to for accuracy. It naturally won't meter like ball powder, but still delivers. I've only used 1 lb of CFE in the past. It worked great, but this was before I loaded Sierra Matchkings and got more into precision.
    I'm with you on the H322, has to be one of the most accurate powders on the market and burns clean as well. It also meters well in my auto drum powder measure. Their has to be a reason the precision folks use this powder more than any other.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dino11 View Post
    I'm with you on the H322, has to be one of the most accurate powders on the market and burns clean as well. It also meters well in my auto drum powder measure. Their has to be a reason the precision folks use this powder more than any other.
    Yeah. It's a benchrest powder. The only weird thing I do is run it behind heavy (75-80gr) bullets. (on paper it should be combined with lighter bullets.)
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast