Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Brass resizing advice

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by PracticalRifleman View Post
    For case neck sizing, do NOT use an expander ball in any situation.
    I agree. If it's worth reloading, it's worth doing it right.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    And how many here have tested a Forster full length die with a expander vs using a expander die or a Lee Collet die for neck runout.

I have tested all three methods and prefer using Forster full length dies with their high mounted floating expander. And just because you use a expander die doesn't mean the case neck will have less neck runout than using a Forster die.

Below the Forster die with its high mounted floating expander. The case neck is held and centered in the neck of the die when the expander enters the case neck.

Below I installed a Forster expander and spindle assembly on my Redding .243 die and reduced neck runout. Many people forget to lube the inside of the case neck and polish the expander.

Below a closeup macro photo of a RCBS expander, and I would never use a expander like this until it was polished smooth.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TxRaptor View Post
    Doing some research, it seems some like to use dry mica on the case mouth to smooth out the expander being pulled through.
    Do this to start. I have the exact same die set that you're using. I use a case neck brush sprinkled with dry mica to help the expander ball go through the neck with very little force. Try this and see if it works. I've loaded tons of cartridges and am very happy with the results. If you find that you're not happy with the results, then move on to something more involved.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret View Post
    Do this to start. I have the exact same die set that you're using. I use a case neck brush sprinkled with dry mica to help the expander ball go through the neck with very little force. Try this and see if it works. I've loaded tons of cartridges and am very happy with the results. If you find that you're not happy with the results, then move on to something more involved.
    On 5.56 I use One Shot spray lube (if you use it correctly, it WILL work every time). I make sure a little gets sprayed inside the case necks, and I've never had a problem with either sizing or expanding, using a plain old RCBS set.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I apply Imperial dry case mouth lube before applying Hornady Unique case lube to the body. It takes a little bit longer than using spray on lube, but I see better results with my bolt action reloads. If I find the expander ball dragging too much on the return stroke, I increase the amount of dry case mouth lube applied.

I segregate brass for bolt action reloads and neck size brass after the first firing. I only full length resize if the brass is not concentric.
    Last edited by T2C; 05-21-20 at 14:01.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    On 5.56 I use One Shot spray lube (if you use it correctly, it WILL work every time). I make sure a little gets sprayed inside the case necks, and I've never had a problem with either sizing or expanding, using a plain old RCBS set.
    This is me as well. Been doing it that way for 40 years.
    Last edited by Delta-3; 05-22-20 at 00:57.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Uni-Vibe View Post
    What kind of runout do you get? What kind of ES/SD?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Take a Good Look at Mighty Armory's Resizing Die. Here is a video of Wayne demo-ing his 223 resizing die. I am going to pick up a 223, 308 and his new 30-06 resizing die from him. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Th7RnGljXv8

Sear youtube for more Mighty Armory Videos
    Last edited by md66948; 06-16-20 at 06:09.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by T2C View Post
    I apply Imperial dry case mouth lube before applying Hornady Unique case lube to the body. It takes a little bit longer than using spray on lube, but I see better results with my bolt action reloads. If I find the expander ball dragging too much on the return stroke, I increase the amount of dry case mouth lube applied.

I segregate brass for bolt action reloads and neck size brass after the first firing. I only full length resize if the brass is not concentric.
    I don't understand why you would use an expander ball on Bolt gun ammo. I don't even use it on gas gun ammo.

The Lee Collet neck die is so much easier and nicer. Plus... you reduce neck runout massively, and case trimming to varying degrees.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    I use an expander ball so that the neck internal diameter is consistent regardless of the case wall thickness at the neck. I've never used a Lee collet neck die, but from what I've seen it does the same thing in a different manner.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast