Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 15 of 15

Thread: Projectile advancements worth upgrade?

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    1,983
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Straight Shooter View Post
    You are about the first one besides me to publicly say you arent a fan of anything from Hornady. GOOD.
    Ive several reasons, none of which I care to go over again, but Ive stated them here a few times.
    Others may think its the best ammo on Earth. Ok, fine. I dont like it and unless they change some things, wont.
    I spent 5 minutes looking for what you've said about Hornady before. I couldn't find anything negative.

    I like most of their ammo. At least you didn't call it "Horn-a-DAY". (Or say "am-bee-DEX-tree-us")

    I'd like to hear your beef with Hornady. (perhaps beyond they tend to use mild amounts of powder)

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Lowcountry, SC.
    Posts
    2,249
    Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Straight Shooter View Post
    You are about the first one besides me to publicly say you arent a fan of anything from Hornady. GOOD.
    Ive several reasons, none of which I care to go over again, but Ive stated them here a few times.
    Others may think its the best ammo on Earth. Ok, fine. I dont like it and unless they change some things, wont.
    Hornady makes some good projectiles. You just have to launch them a little harder, and the factory loads are a little soft, further exacerbating that issue. For example, Critical Duty 135gr is one of the few rounds that I prefer the +p version of.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ron3 View Post
    I spent 5 minutes looking for what you've said about Hornady before. I couldn't find anything negative.

    I like most of their ammo. At least you didn't call it "Horn-a-DAY". (Or say "am-bee-DEX-tree-us")

    I'd like to hear your beef with Hornady. (perhaps beyond they tend to use mild amounts of powder)
    RLTW

    “Guys with LPVOs, lasers, and night vision have been killing the dogs**t out of dudes with just iron sights at night with great regularity for about 25 years now.”
    -Jack Leuba /Failure2Stop

    “I mean, I get it, you're mad, send me your address, and I'll send you a red cape so then you can be Super Mad.” -Five_Point_Five_Six

    “Yep, it's definite. I simply don't care enough what you think.” -SteyrAug

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    152
    Feedback Score
    0
    I would feel very comfortable using what you have. Any marginal improvement is offset by marksmanship.

    Undoubtedly there will be a large leap sometime in the future, it's what technology does, but it hasn't happened yet.

    Lead or copper which opens quickly, penetrates moderate barriers (for "civilian", not nesc. LE), and reaches the vitals with enough punch to do damage and is 100% reliable will do the job if you do yours.

  4. #14
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Location
    Southern Nevada and Mountains of Montana
    Posts
    6
    Feedback Score
    0
    My $0.02.....the Federal Bonded and Spear Gold Dots are still viable choices for self defense. If you have a good supply of these cartridges and feel confident carrying them, stay the course. IMHO the Federal HST loads tops the list of current defensive handgun cartridges for both 9mm and 40S&W. What I find really exciting is the industry addressing barrier performance for the 5.56/223 loadings. I'm looking forward to seeing more testing and real world results from loads such as the 556 NATO Federal XM556FBIT3/XM556SBCT3 with the Trophy Bond Bear Claw projectile.
    "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." Ben Franklin

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    161
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Grim.Patriot View Post
    My $0.02.....the Federal Bonded and Spear Gold Dots are still viable choices for self defense. If you have a good supply of these cartridges and feel confident carrying them, stay the course. IMHO the Federal HST loads tops the list of current defensive handgun cartridges for both 9mm and 40S&W. What I find really exciting is the industry addressing barrier performance for the 5.56/223 loadings. I'm looking forward to seeing more testing and real world results from loads such as the 556 NATO Federal XM556FBIT3/XM556SBCT3 with the Trophy Bond Bear Claw projectile.
    I’ve slowing been stocking up of the XM556SBCT from an online source as much as I can afford because that ammo is the shit.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •