Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 6X47

Feedback Score

6X47

Anyone here tried the older wildcats in the AR's. I'm fitting a Remington 700 factory barrel(will be twenty inches) for a varmint rig, chambered in 6/47. Right now it's set up with a straight pull action...no gas system. Question is what distance from the chamber works best for ports with this range of cartridges?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Rifle gas

Feedback Score
    Well, if I were to change my mind and decide to use "rifle gas", at what point along the barrel would be the optimum for this cartridge to take advantage of said "rifle gas"? Would it be the same as the parent cartridge, or maybe just a little bit more toward the muzzle?
    Last edited by sadsack; 05-09-20 at 17:03.

Feedback Score
    IMG_3317.jpg This is what I'm calling a straight pull. This 223 barrel is off of a Rem 700, the barrel I'm thinking of converting to semi-auto is a Shilen barrel I've had on a 700.
    Has anyone on this forum worked with the 6x47, and can you tell me if there is an optimum gas port distance for the 6x47. I know the same input for the 223 will work fine, and I'm well aware of the differences in cartridge capacity, powder burning rate, twist and bullet weight...just asking for experienced input for this particular cartridge.

Feedback Score
    ...anyone here turn their own barrels?...

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    You can make up any length gas system if you want it "a little bit longer", but only if you can make your own gas tubes.

Feedback Score
    That's not a problem either...thanks for the reply. It's not a matter of wanting to, it's what length will work best with the range of loads I'll use. Thanks again.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by sadsack View Post
    Has anyone on this forum worked with the 6x47, and can you tell me if there is an optimum gas port distance for the 6x47. I know the same input for the 223 will work fine...
    Can you describe the 6X47 wildcat you are going to use?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sadsack View Post
    IMG_3317.jpg This is what I'm calling a straight pull. This 223 barrel is off of a Rem 700, the barrel I'm thinking of converting to semi-auto is a Shilen barrel I've had on a 700.
    Has anyone on this forum worked with the 6x47, and can you tell me if there is an optimum gas port distance for the 6x47. I know the same input for the 223 will work fine, and I'm well aware of the differences in cartridge capacity, powder burning rate, twist and bullet weight...just asking for experienced input for this particular cartridge.
    The 6x47 will be the same as a 243, the overall length of barrel will make a difference. You could use a rifle gas with a port slightly smaller than a .223 say a .089" or go with a 2"+ gas system and go with a .096 port. I would start with a smaller port until you find the exact load you plan to use then adjust the port size to cycle.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the reply and input...and I have a mea culpa. I've built at least 8 rifles for this cartridge(6x45) over the years. I've kept calling this a 6x47 in my posts here when it's a 6x45. I only realized my mistake when you said it would be the same as the 243. I'd already decided on the port distance and to make another adjustable gas system for this one. Thanks again and I apologize for my confusion...70 years has certainly taken it's toll!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast