Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gas Block Gap Ok

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Gas Block Gap Ok

Changed to a free float rail and it was about 1/4" shorter than my Magpul Carbine rail. The block is in the exact same place it was before, but there is a gap between the block and the rail. Will this be a factor or do I need a longer gas block? Any info/help is greatly appreciated.
    [/IMG]

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by coachjenorris; 05-15-20 at 20:27.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    It's fine.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    If that isnt pinned on then no it isnt fine. Any good knock will put an unpinned gas block like that out of alignment, especially if it that huge.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    I see you’re a newer member. I know you spent your hard earned money on that rail and gas block but...I would seriously consider shit canning that gas block, get a low profile gas block and a longer rail that covers the gas black.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    The important dimension for function is the gas block position relative to the barrel gas port and shoulder, NOT the hand guard.

That gas block looks like it could be aluminum, in which case, it needs to go.
    Black River Tactical
    BRT OPTIMUM Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Barrels - 11.5", 12.5", 14.5", 16"
    BRT EZTUNE Preset Gas Tubes - PISTOL, CAR, MID, RIFLE
    BRT Bolt Carrier Groups M4A1, M16 CHROME
    BRT Covert Comps 5.56, 6X, 7.62

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Clint View Post
    That gas block looks like it could be aluminum, in which case, it needs to go.
    Exactly what I was thinking. Op should throw a magnetic on it.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by titsonritz View Post
    Exactly what I was thinking. Op should throw a magnetic on it.
    It doesnt matter what it made of, the design doesnt exactly scream quality. No offense to the OP but that rifle looks like it pieced from a bargain bin of parts. The gas block would be the least of my worries.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I appreciate the fine responses to my question. The gun was not "pieced" together, it is a Ruger AR556. I know it's not Daniel Defense, but it's my tinker toy that I have just tinkered around with. I have not ever tried to free float a barrel and it came up short. I was trying to learn on my own to do something in order to gain some experience/knowledge. I have since done some more research and will be using a low profile block and 12" guard. Thanks rushca for that HELPFUL info. I didn't know so many people were/are instant experts and never built anything incorrectly.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by coachjenorris View Post
    I appreciate the fine responses to my question. The gun was not "pieced" together, it is a Ruger AR556. I know it's not Daniel Defense, but it's my tinker toy that I have just tinkered around with. I have not ever tried to free float a barrel and it came up short. I was trying to learn on my own to do something in order to gain some experience/knowledge. I have since done some more research and will be using a low profile block and 12" guard. Thanks rushca for that HELPFUL info. I didn't know so many people were/are instant experts and never built anything incorrectly.

I wasn’t trying to be harsh, we all had to start and learn somewhere. If it’s just a tinker toy and nothing more than rock on... There is lots of useful information here, the signal to noise ratio is still pretty good with lots of knowledge people.

You should also pull the BCG group and give it a once over, check for staked gas carrier key. Also check and make sure the castle nut on the receiver extension is staked (it doesn’t appear to be). Those are some basics.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    In my opinion you will love the longer rail; the carbine length rails are just too cramped, especially if you run a light.

You can go as long as a 15" rail on a 16" barrel without issue, and 13-13.5" is a popular length. I personally would not go shorter than 10". For reference, an M16/AR-15 rifle handguard is 12" and a 10" rail will easily cover your gas block.

Andy
    Last edited by AndyLate; 05-10-20 at 10:23.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast