Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Aimpoint: a question for the over 50 y.o.a. crowd...

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Question Aimpoint: a question for the over 50 y.o.a. crowd...

Background: visited the optometrist and made sure to ask, “do I have astigmatism?” He looked at last year’s numbers, said, “in the left eye, very slightly, yeah.” Checked with the instruments this visit, and says “I’m not seeing any astigmatism now, though, in either eye. So no.”

Fast forward: managed to score the last CompM4s at Brownell’s. Just opened it up and installed the battery.

Red dot with both eyes open looks like a dot. Not like a period (.) perfect dot, but a dot. Gets a red halo effect around the dot as I turn up the brightness.

Red dot with right eye open looks like a dot. Lower the brightness the more of a perfect dot it looks.

Red dot with left eye open looks more like a tiny triangle. I need to look through it again and see what changing the brightness, does. Edit: I have had a condition called “lazy eye” in the left eye from birth.

Seeking advice: in my mid-50s now and in good shape overall but wondering about the future. Question: would I be better off switching to non-red dot sights? Asking since the CompM4s is minty new and I could probably get my money out of it and buy an EOTech with it.

Thanks for any input. I am a crossroads with my Aimpoint...
    Last edited by Buncheong; 05-11-20 at 14:11.
    ”New levels of dissimulation being reached for - and gained – in the faux journalism/gov spokesmen/shadowy ‘intelligence’ nexus which blends together the worst elements of controlled medias, puppet governments, & mafia-led ‘security’ forces, as our ‘post-reality’ era jets further and further away from any remotely real ‘events,’ authentic ‘leaders,’ & factual reporting.”

~ Yuno

"The future is bright, mostly because flames are on the horizon."

~ Author unknown

Feedback Score
    I have had to deal with astigmatism basically forever. It hasn't been an age issue for me. I'm 60 and had lasik years ago. I get a starburst out of all red dots and EOTech's look fuzzy to me. But I still love the idea of a reddot. I can still use one to 50-75 yds. I have gotten good groups at 100 by controlling the brightness. I run a PRO on my SBR 556, and a Vortex UH1 on the 300 upper. I use LPVOs for the longer guns.
    I would love to have it appear as clear as you describe, if I were you, I'd use it.
    just my 2 cents

Feedback Score
    I forgot to mention, they look worst when looking AT the dot. When you look through the dot at the target, it's not as noticeable.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    A noob mistake I definitely made - I was looking at the dot.

I appreciate your posts on this subject, and the benefit of your perspective. I will stick with my Aimpoint.

Thanks much!
    ”New levels of dissimulation being reached for - and gained – in the faux journalism/gov spokesmen/shadowy ‘intelligence’ nexus which blends together the worst elements of controlled medias, puppet governments, & mafia-led ‘security’ forces, as our ‘post-reality’ era jets further and further away from any remotely real ‘events,’ authentic ‘leaders,’ & factual reporting.”

~ Yuno

"The future is bright, mostly because flames are on the horizon."

~ Author unknown

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    And the real key is both eyes open, don't stare at the dot is the way to use and shoot with them.

Also tweak the brightness - you want it bright enough to be easily seen, but if you have it a tad too bright, that can make the issue worse.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    With even a little starburst, no problem. It isnt a precision optic, so a little burst is no problem, IMHO. Its quick acquisition Minute of Badguy optic.

Love me some Aimpoint.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    Keep the dot as low as possible. I find halfway up is MORE than enough for me - even in bright sunlight at the range.

And Aimpoint is the ONLY red dot my eyes like!
    - Either you're part of the problem or you're part of the solution or you're just part of the landscape - Sam (Robert DeNiro) in, "Ronin" -

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Over 50 with glasses for nearsightedness. No astigmatism (knock on wood). The newer (over 90K serial number) MRO's have given me the best dot clarity. With my glasses off, it's not the smear the Aimpoint dots became. With my glasses on, I find it even cleaner than my H2 and M4S dots.
    - Jeff

“Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right.” ― George Orwell, 1984

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RHINOWSO View Post
    And the real key is both eyes open, don't stare at the dot is the way to use and shoot with them.
    That's correct. Shoot with both eyes open and always focus on your target and bring your dot to the target and squeeze.

At 4:30...

Last edited by mebiuspower; 05-12-20 at 08:50.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    I am in my 50s and have Aimpoint Pro, MRO, Ultradot 25, and Nikon Superdot red dot sights. I have some astigmatism and the dots all look distorted to some degree. In my opinion, my nearsightedness has a much larger effect than dots that are not round.

The Ultradot is 4 MOA and mounted on a 10-22 the others are all 2 MOA.

Andy
    Last edited by AndyLate; 05-16-20 at 00:19.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast