Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: AR in Long Range Rifle Course

Feedback Score

AR in Long Range Rifle Course

Using a BCM 18 inch stainless barrel AR in a local long range rifle course. I know this may not be optimal so checked with the instructor and he OK'd my setup. I was Marine but have had no distance shooting instruction since. Planning to use Barnes 70 grain TSX for the course. Any tips on things to bring that may not be obvious?

Thanks!

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Atlas Bipod, good shooting mat and rear bag, plenty of 20 round mags (not 30s due to too long in prone shooting), and a dope sheet based on your bullet b.c. and velocity.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    IMI 77 grain Razor, 70 grain TSX would be a waste.
    “The Trump Doctrine is ‘We’re America, Bitch.’ That’s the Trump Doctrine.”

"He is free to evade reality, he is free to unfocus his mind and stumble blindly down any road he pleases, but not free to avoid the abyss he refuses to see."

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mack7.62 View Post
    IMI 77 grain Razor, 70 grain TSX would be a waste.
    Why would 70 grain TSX be a waste? This has been my standard hunting load in 556 for years. Great results and accuracy. Thanks for the explanation.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Exactly, it is a most excellent hunting load, a shame to waste it on paper, plus it is quite a bit more expensive than the Razor or some other OTM loads. Just looking at Midway they sell the TSX load for $1.15 a round while the Razor is $0.66-0.75 a round.
    Last edited by mack7.62; 05-11-20 at 17:17.
    “The Trump Doctrine is ‘We’re America, Bitch.’ That’s the Trump Doctrine.”

"He is free to evade reality, he is free to unfocus his mind and stumble blindly down any road he pleases, but not free to avoid the abyss he refuses to see."

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I also thought TSX was a waste for what you are doing. Just get some 77gr SMK's or best yet 69gr TMK's. An 18" AR15 with 77gr SMK's was the recipe for the SPR program so I think it will do well at distance. I shot a long distance AR match recently and the 'open' division had some guys using 12" barrels out too 650 yards.
    Tactical Nylon Micro Brewery

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Devildawg2531 View Post
    Using a BCM 18 inch stainless barrel AR in a local long range rifle course. I know this may not be optimal so checked with the instructor and he OK'd my setup. I was Marine but have had no distance shooting instruction since. Planning to use Barnes 70 grain TSX for the course. Any tips on things to bring that may not be obvious?

Thanks!
    I took a Vtac DMR class. We shot out to 750 yards.

I was whacking steel with a 16” barrel and 10X scope like it was nothing.

I used magtech 77gr otm ammo. My biggest suggestion is to find yourself some much cheaper ammo than what you want to use. The magtech stuff is about 50 cents a round

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Atlas Bipod, good shooting mat and rear bag, plenty of 20 round mags (not 30s due to too long in prone shooting), and a dope sheet based on your bullet b.c. and velocity.
    Could you recommend a good rear bag..maybe a couple?
    Also- whats your opinion on the Magpul bi-pod?
    Last edited by Straight Shooter; 05-11-20 at 19:07.
    The obedient always think of themselves as virtuous rather than the cowards they really are.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Devildawg2531 View Post
    Using a BCM 18 inch stainless barrel AR in a local long range rifle course. I know this may not be optimal so checked with the instructor and he OK'd my setup. I was Marine but have had no distance shooting instruction since. Planning to use Barnes 70 grain TSX for the course. Any tips on things to bring that may not be obvious? Thanks!
    I've taken a 5.56 to several precision rifle courses.

Follow the packing list from your vendor. Depending on the particulars of your course it should contain things like front and rear bags, bipod, mags, good glass, high quality ammo, notebook and pen, kestrel, range finder, spotting scope, ground mat, position adjuncts like sticks/tripod, etc, mags, if you're a clean barrel kind of guy, bring that stuff.

If 70 TSX is the load you normally use there is merit in shooting it to solidify your zero and true your dope. That bullet is not typically a match load or known for best accuracy, so recognize that as you stretch out. You may find that your optic/barrel/shooter combo are better than the bullet - depending on who is loading your ammo and what you're doing with it. If you're handloading it and found a match-like formula, good for you and drive on.

Squeeze bags, Fat Bags, and helpful precision stuff: https://www.armageddongear.com/

Share more info about your class, folks are always looking for places to train.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Straight Shooter View Post
    Could you recommend a good rear bag..maybe a couple?
    Also- whats your opinion on the Magpul bi-pod?
    If you cant afford an Atlas (it is pricey) , the Magpul will work. Black Hills OTM in 69 or 77 grain is outstanding ammo. But any SMK's with decent manufacturer will do. Look for Tri-ad tactical for rear bags, they have a bunch and other accessories.

Choose a bag that has something where you can load the bipod is a plus.

What glass are you running? I took my 16 inch Noveske out to 1,000 yards on sunday, the AR is just fine for long range. Fun to shoot and cheap to shoot.
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast