Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How much recoil does the PTR91 have?

Feedback Score

How much recoil does the PTR91 have?

So I really really like the looks of the Century Arms C308, and in my research I discovered the PTR91 and read that it was a far better rifle.
    The deeper I dig the more interested I get, but the one thing that bothers me is everyone says it has a lot of recoil, which is to be expected with a .308, but I read multiple times that it felt excessive to some people and as much of a punk as it might make me, I don't do well with lots of recoil. As in, I don't shoot my grandpas Mossberg 500 12GA that I inherited because I absolutely hate how much it kicks me around with anything but the lightest birdshot loads, but I love my dads S&W M&P Sport II, his Winchester 94, and my Mosin Nagant because I feel like I can handle the recoil of those rifles so much better than the shotgun.
    So basically, I guess I'm asking if the recoil is more along the lines of a 12GA with 2 3/4 turkey loads or closer to an AR15?

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    I’m fairly recoil sensitive due to a couple shoulder injuries. I don’t find it objectionable. Its more than some semi auto rifles, but less than pretty much any hunting type bolt gun in .308. Definitely less than the Mosin carbine I had.
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    I had an HK91 in my mid-20's, and it didn't bother me at all.

I notice the recoil now with my PTR91, but it's hardly bothersome. It's .308 - it's GONNA kick more than my AR's.
    - Either you're part of the problem or you're part of the solution or you're just part of the landscape - Sam (Robert DeNiro) in, "Ronin" -

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    In another life I went through “Foreign Weapons Familiarization Course” and we shot a lot of the FN Fal and HK G3 (HK91). Both were FAR worse then an AR-10. I would not purchase one, but that’s just me. I’m sure every now and then/limited volume, it’s fine...but we HATED them based on using them frequently in course.

Feedback Score
    If your going to use 12 gauged to compare it's less than a Turkey load 2.75 in. More like a standard 1 1/8- 1 1/4 oz load from a semi-auto shotgun.

I replaced the buffer in mine with one for an HK21 (IIRC) and wide buttpad and that lightened it to more like an M1A rifle. I could fire a few hundred rounds before it started to get old. Just like birdshot from a shotgun. It's no big deal but it starts to beat you down eventually.

I have an Ar-10 16 inch and the recoil is less smooth than the PTR I had and modded. I rarely shoot it.

A Mosin Nagant kicks harder.

A bigger problem for me with the PTR was the heavy front end, long length of pull, and heavy trigger.

From what you've said about not liking the Mossberg 500 I don't recommend a .308 for you unless your idea of a day's shooting is only 20-40 rounds.

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron3 View Post
    A bigger problem for me with the PTR was the heavy front end, long length of pull, and heavy trigger.
    I've never noticed the former, but Williams Trigger Specialties took care of the latter years ago.
    - Either you're part of the problem or you're part of the solution or you're just part of the landscape - Sam (Robert DeNiro) in, "Ronin" -

Feedback Score
    Thank you guys for the help, and I do apologize for not really having much to compare it to because I know comparing 12GA to a rifle is a strange way to discuss recoil
    I have a lot of experience with the guns I do have, but I don't have very many and I'm trying to decide what exactly I'm going to expand my small collection with when I can and this forum has helped me quite a bit

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I just got done breaking in my PTR this past weekend. It has more recoil than an AR, but shouldn't be anywhere near a 12g with turkey loads. Even if the bolt fails to cycle, and you get all of the "umpf" right into your shoulder (happened a few times while breaking it in) it's more like a MilSurp bolt gun than anything else.

Bottom line: if you can stand .308/7.62 NATO rounds through other guns, you should be fine. If you can't, stick to 5.56 and the like.
    It's f*****g great, putting holes in people, all the time, and it just puts 'em down mate, they drop like sacks of s**t when they go down with this.
    --British veteran of the Ukraine War, discussing the FN SCAR H.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I can't speak to PTR, mine are German.

But you can set them up to recoil very mildly for a 7.62. I have a G3K built off an HK91 by TSC machine. It's got an HK21E clubfoot stock and recoil buffer. Both the buffer and the extra large rubber buttpad make it an extremely pleasant gun to shoot. I also use a #17 locking piece which also cuts down on recoil considerably. The 12.3" barrel cuts down on front end weight considerably and makes for an extremely well handling gun.

For a PTR I would get a HK21 wide rubber butt pad for your A2 stock and experiment with a #9 or #17 locking piece. Also look at heavy buffers.

I would be concerned about a G3 derivative that "fails to cycle" during "break in." These don't require break in and should run through just about anything. That's in no way normal...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    G3 recoil is very much dependent on the buffer in the stock (21E buffer is the best) and whether bolt gap is in spec. My HK91 had a 21E buffer and was very pleasant.
    SLG Defense 07/02 FFL/SOT

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast