Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How much recoil does the PTR91 have?

Feedback Score
    My HK41 is fairly pleasant to shoot. Even my 5'1 daughter can shoot it. I've even shot it with the old style retracting stock and its not bad. I normally use a wood stock with a heavy buffer in it and that makes it very tolerable. The other thing that can influence recoil in a G3 type weapon is out of spec bolt gap.

Feedback Score
    Thank you to everyone who has commented, it seems like this is the only forum that doesn't have people jumping down your throat instead of offering intelligent conversation
    From what I'm gathering here, the recoil is more simply because of the bigger round, but it can be mitigated with a recoil pad and a few upgrades?
    If it's not terrible after that I'd be willing to force myself to work with the gun until I feel like I can manage it better, and you guys have steered me towards that direction. I really appreciate the help

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    When I was a youngster I used to hunt with an h&k 91. Had a 270 prior, it was stolen. 308 surplus ammo was cheap and we shot tons of it. I used commercial hunting ammo to hunt with.

I was stunned when I shot a friend's Winchester 94 in 30/30 at how bad the recoil was. Substantially worse than my 91.

Before I got rid of it my 10 and 13-year-old sons (at the time) shot it off the bench quite a bit. The older one might have broken a hundred pounds, but barely.

So when I hear reports about how bad 91's recoil I have to think either it was a worn-out rifle or something. Same for reliability. I used to clean my 91 about once a decade.

I'm especially suspicious of the clones if that's who you normally hear it about.

I will say that if you use a German military scope with the claw mount and get too close to it, it'll knock you in the forehead/eye socket.

Playing with FALs and later, AR-10s I just never noticed much difference.

But if you think 308 recoil might be concerning then you better not look at full power (3006, 270, etc) hunting rifles, especially Magnums.

My hunting rifles recoil substantially more than any of the military 308/762's I've shot.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidBevis View Post
    Thank you to everyone who has commented, it seems like this is the only forum that doesn't have people jumping down your throat instead of offering intelligent conversation
    From what I'm gathering here, the recoil is more simply because of the bigger round, but it can be mitigated with a recoil pad and a few upgrades?
    If it's not terrible after that I'd be willing to force myself to work with the gun until I feel like I can manage it better, and you guys have steered me towards that direction. I really appreciate the help
    One thing that contributes to perceived recoil is the drop on stock needed for sue with the iron sights. Another is the short LOP that can get you wacked in the cheekbone with the ump on the stock where it drops down. One way to address this is use an M4 stock adapter, put a magpul stock on it and a magpul cheekpiece if needed or helpful.

Look at inrange video where Ian gets a 91 with a sphur stock where they talk about this type of stuff.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ralJBWJ7O_o

The m4 stock will get you similar results at a fraction of the cost.

TED

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by freeride1 View Post
    For a PTR I would get a HK21 wide rubber butt pad for your A2 stock and experiment with a #9 or #17 locking piece. Also look at heavy buffers.

I would be concerned about a G3 derivative that "fails to cycle" during "break in." These don't require break in and should run through just about anything. That's in no way normal...
    Well, PTR disagrees with you, and specifically mentions a "break-in period of 200-300 rounds" in the manual. During that time it warns you will experiences "intermittent occurrences of failure to feed or failure to eject." I've talked to a few other PTR owners, and my experiences match up. After the break-in, it runs like a champ.
    It's f*****g great, putting holes in people, all the time, and it just puts 'em down mate, they drop like sacks of s**t when they go down with this.
    --British veteran of the Ukraine War, discussing the FN SCAR H.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpha-17 View Post
    Well, PTR disagrees with you, and specifically mentions a "break-in period of 200-300 rounds" in the manual. During that time it warns you will experiences "intermittent occurrences of failure to feed or failure to eject." I've talked to a few other PTR owners, and my experiences match up. After the break-in, it runs like a champ.
    PTR is covering their ass.

These things have a very forceful action, when built right they shouldn't have any issue ejecting. Particularly in Semi. PTR is obviously doing something wrong.
    Last edited by freeride1; 05-13-20 at 09:18.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by freeride1 View Post
    PTR is covering their ass.

These things have a very forceful action, when built right they shouldn't have any issue ejecting. Particularly in Semi. PTR is obviously doing something wrong.
    And after the break-in, they don't. All the brass and steel I put into low orbit this weekend is evidence of that.
    It's f*****g great, putting holes in people, all the time, and it just puts 'em down mate, they drop like sacks of s**t when they go down with this.
    --British veteran of the Ukraine War, discussing the FN SCAR H.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    You guys have my curiosity up. Has anybody here ever shot a brand new G3 or HK91? Looking at you, Steyraug.
    RLTW

Former Action Guy
    Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by pinzgauer View Post
    When I was a youngster I used to hunt with an h&k 91. Had a 270 prior, it was stolen. 308 surplus ammo was cheap and we shot tons of it. I used commercial hunting ammo to hunt with.

I was stunned when I shot a friend's Winchester 94 in 30/30 at how bad the recoil was. Substantially worse than my 91.

Before I got rid of it my 10 and 13-year-old sons (at the time) shot it off the bench quite a bit. The older one might have broken a hundred pounds, but barely.

So when I hear reports about how bad 91's recoil I have to think either it was a worn-out rifle or something. Same for reliability. I used to clean my 91 about once a decade.

I'm especially suspicious of the clones if that's who you normally hear it about.

I will say that if you use a German military scope with the claw mount and get too close to it, it'll knock you in the forehead/eye socket.

Playing with FALs and later, AR-10s I just never noticed much difference.

But if you think 308 recoil might be concerning then you better not look at full power (3006, 270, etc) hunting rifles, especially Magnums.

My hunting rifles recoil substantially more than any of the military 308/762's I've shot.
    The part about the Winchester and the last two sections pretty much convinced me. I do want to get a PTR91 because I like the look and I hear so many good things other than recoil, and now I'm decided on it.
    Looks like one os in my future, plus some range time to make myself able to overcome the recoil better than I can currently

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    You guys have my curiosity up. Has anybody here ever shot a brand new G3 or HK91? Looking at you, Steyraug.
    I shot a buddy's in probably 1977 brand new HK91 out of box. I had an HK41 then but had bought it used. no issues at all.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast