Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 5.56 Barrel

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score

5.56 Barrel

So I finally got around to buying the tools to work on AR's and now I have 2 brands of barrels to choose from from a friend. Both are just about the same, 1/8 twist and mid gas, one is a Faxton and one is a Kak, Which one do I pick?

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Faxon was the worst barrel we ever shot. Poorly QPQ'd is my guess. Pappabear sent the POS back, and those clowns told us we'd shot 10,000 rounds thru it, but actual counts were no more than a few hundred.

Never heard of Kak.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Why only those two? Lots of great barrels out there.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    Price Point, already have super accurate AR and just wanted a decent barrel that matched up with my 6920 or my Bushmasters. I feel I'm kinda lucky so far in that all my ARs will do 1.5" with decent ammo.

Feedback Score
    Two of mine have Ballistic Advantage Hanson profile barrels, (one 5.56, one .308) and they both shoot very well. They are moderately priced.
    You know what I like best about most people?

Their dogs.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    After a few low round count range trips with it, I looked at my Faxon 16" Big Gunner with a borescope.....damn ugly. I won't be putting it into a precision role (never actually got around to shooting it at more than 50 yards), so it will perform well enough. An 18" Big Gunner's much better, but I won't be buying any more.

I've also never heard of KAK.
    Last edited by grizzman; 05-12-20 at 22:15.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ST911 View Post
    Why only those two? Lots of great barrels out there.
    I was wondering the same thing, what would be some other recommendations?

Feedback Score
    Colt, FN, Sionics, Criterion, Ballistic Advantage, Compass Lake. It all depends on your budget, I have a Criterion that shoots comfortably under moa, maybe .7, a pistol BA that would cloverleaf at 50 with 55gr pmc, and I've taken it out to 2-300 with no complaints. Faxons seems to be a bit hit or miss, I have a 7.62x39 that shoots between 2 and 3 moa with wolf, so I'm happy with that, but my brother had a 18 gunner profile that he was chasing sub 2 moa with, never really got there even with handloading. Rosco are another quality barrel on the budget end of things. Stag sells decent barrels, I don't think they oem, but still. BCM sells good barrels, they tend to not be the most accurate but still acceptable, I belive FN is the maker of their BFH,. Daniel Defense are pretty good all around, the sample size of one I've seen shoots well, and there aren’t many posts I've seen with complaints about accuracy. Compass Lake will set you up with a phenomenal barrel, its basically a semi custom barrel with your blank of choice, including top tier makers like bartlein and kreiger. Obviously the prices vary pretty drastically between them, but they tend to lean to different applications, and thats up to you to decide what your needs are vs wants, and balance that from your wallet

Feedback Score
    Colt, FN, Sionics, Criterion, Ballistic Advantage, Compass Lake. It all depends on your budget, I have a Criterion that shoots comfortably under moa, maybe .7, a pistol BA that would cloverleaf at 50 with 55gr pmc, and I've taken it out to 2-300 with no complaints. Faxons seems to be a bit hit or miss, I have a 7.62x39 that shoots between 2 and 3 moa with wolf, so I'm happy with that, but my brother had a 18 gunner profile that he was chasing sub 2 moa with, never really got there even with handloading. Rosco are another quality barrel on the budget end of things. Stag sells decent barrels, I don't think they oem, but still. BCM sells good barrels, they tend to not be the most accurate but still acceptable, I belive FN is the maker of their BFH,. Daniel Defense are pretty good all around, the sample size of one I've seen shoots well, and there aren’t many posts I've seen with complaints about accuracy. Compass Lake will set you up with a phenomenal barrel, its basically a semi custom barrel with your blank of choice, including top tier makers like bartlein and kreiger. Obviously the prices vary pretty drastically between them, but they tend to lean to different applications, and thats up to you to decide what your needs are vs wants, and balance that from your wallet

Feedback Score
    Just fitted a 18 inch Core by Criterion and gotta say it is very nice! Hope it shoots as well as it looks.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast