Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 5.56 Barrel

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    My 20" Faxon Gunner shot very well until I decided I wanted a heavier 18" barrel, but the inconsistency in results just here on this site indicates to me that their QC is spotty at best.

Andy

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I would also recommend BA, very happy with mine. They go on sale all the time too.

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    I have had really good luck with Criterion barrels lately.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I don't know if you will ever run it suppressed, if so buy a Sionics reduced gas pressure barrel. Quite honestly it is a great barrel with or without a can.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Oh boy! Choosing from those choice are hard. I would reach for faxon but after reading few post here of faxon I'm very alarmed of them. But I would still chose faxon over kak. If i am able to get them both and shoot them both, if Kak shoot substantially better I would chose it over faxon and fire it slowly to prolong it's life. My experience with ar-15 barrels which all happen to be 16". Long ago I built and then sold many uppers. In my experience all of barrel I have used was submoa barrels with 69gr SMK FGMM. I've had DPMS ap4 carbine bringback with 1/9 cmv gov. profile barrel naked of any nitriding or CL it shot very well with 69 FGMM a submoa 5 shot group reliably after maybe 2k of bi-metal bullet from cheap tula and wolf mag dumping barrel open up to 1moa always almost submoa not close to 2moa at all then I sold it during one of panic. Then I rapidly went through few upper but the barrels was PSA cmv which I shot over 5k rapid firing with steel case ammo which really ate that barrel which start off submoa ez with 69smk FGMM to 2moa but I still loved that barrel cause I believe it performed well for extremely harsh treatment I gave it, I believe it was made by FN. Then I used doublestar 1/7 CL barrel which I remember vividly due to it's bore which had tons of fine chatter mark showing through the CL that retained a lot of copper fouling regardless it shot very well submoa reliably with FGMM I never shot much in that upper before selling it. Then I used spikes tactical ar which had spikes CL barrel (made by FN) that shot submoa reliably I shot maybe 1k before selling that ar. I had major difficulty removing barrel on that son of bitch spikes. However, I then went to FN CL 1/7 gov. profile barrel which is one of my favorite, the bore was mirror smooth shot submoa easily. I shot maybe 2k mixed ammo between federal value pack 223 that walmart used to sell and cheap steel case it still shot submoa before I sold it. Then I went to Bushmaster 1/9 HBAR CL which is my other favorite barrel that shot submoa and I could shoot longer and more accurately with it. I would buy CL over any other barrel every time but I respect untreated and unlined CMV barrel they can shoot well for long time if you just shoot really slowly and let it cool. I have yet to come across any ar-15 barrel that was not submoa *knock on wood. I especially I hope my Daniel Defense 18" CL middy is submoa too. I single like single loading my ar if I'm shooting for group for I noticed the magazine tension changing as it unload underneath BCG affected group size. I am of belief that for most case most barrel even cheap barrel will shoot submoa with right load (sometime handloading required) unless it's really trash barrel with bad chamber, uneven stressed barrel, bent, bad crown, wrong length for harmonic, wrong muzzle device weight and/or length for the barrel profile and length etc.

If you get bad barrel, don't feel bad, just see it as beater upper for magdumping and build another with nice upper and barrel. Nothing feel better as magdumping after stressful day, ahhhhhhh. Even if your barrel are 2 moa you can still hit your target, it just might take more shots...

Grab Faxon, if it shot like shit with few match ammo(be sure to try 69gr SMK FGMM) maybe Faxon might replace it for you, they have reputable to keep. Be sure to clean and grease the upper threading and tighten the nut to at least 40ft/lb and loosen it repeat that at least 3 time then tighten it to spec requested by manufactuer of upper, barrel, or handguard take your pick. I prefer tighter like 60 ft/lb. Be sure the upper face and barrel extension shoulder are absolutely clean and greased. Be sure to mount your quality scope in quality ring properly and employ all marksman fundamentals repeatability and being consistent is key to tiny groups. Also barrel can go from shit then submoa with polishing of the bore or cleaning of the bore.

Feedback Score
    Keep talking cause I'm still listing! Where else can I get good info with out opening my wallet? It's nice when a guy can sidestep a money trap and with so many options there is no limit to the mistakes a guy can make.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    No personal experience but for a cheap barrel I'm hear good things about the Rosco Bloodline Barrel from ADM...
    https://www.americandefensemanufactu.../product/1490/
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Faxon was the worst barrel we ever shot. Poorly QPQ'd is my guess. Pappabear sent the POS back, and those clowns told us we'd shot 10,000 rounds thru it, but actual counts were no more than a few hundred.

Never heard of Kak.

FYI: https://www.kakindustry.com/

Feedback Score
    Been looking at the Ballistic Advantage and was wondering who you can trust to do a little business with? Have dealt with the less then truthful and would not like to repeat the process. In 5.56 what chamber cut do you guys like? Thanks!

Feedback Score
    Right to Bear, primary arms, and Granite Ridge soon sell BA barrels, have good prices and are gtg.

Right to bear and primary arms ship very fast and usually my go to s if they have what I am after

556 or Wylde chamber are fine. I like 556 personally for a hard use gun, but for precision barrel Wylde or compass lake chamber are good

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast