Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: 5.56 Barrel

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Strangely, my Faxon Gunner also showed a preference for light bullets.

Andy
    Last edited by AndyLate; 01-09-21 at 10:08.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ST911 View Post
    Why only those two? Lots of great barrels out there.
    I was wondering the same thing, what would be some other recommendations?

Feedback Score
    Colt, FN, Sionics, Criterion, Ballistic Advantage, Compass Lake. It all depends on your budget, I have a Criterion that shoots comfortably under moa, maybe .7, a pistol BA that would cloverleaf at 50 with 55gr pmc, and I've taken it out to 2-300 with no complaints. Faxons seems to be a bit hit or miss, I have a 7.62x39 that shoots between 2 and 3 moa with wolf, so I'm happy with that, but my brother had a 18 gunner profile that he was chasing sub 2 moa with, never really got there even with handloading. Rosco are another quality barrel on the budget end of things. Stag sells decent barrels, I don't think they oem, but still. BCM sells good barrels, they tend to not be the most accurate but still acceptable, I belive FN is the maker of their BFH,. Daniel Defense are pretty good all around, the sample size of one I've seen shoots well, and there aren’t many posts I've seen with complaints about accuracy. Compass Lake will set you up with a phenomenal barrel, its basically a semi custom barrel with your blank of choice, including top tier makers like bartlein and kreiger. Obviously the prices vary pretty drastically between them, but they tend to lean to different applications, and thats up to you to decide what your needs are vs wants, and balance that from your wallet

Feedback Score
    Colt, FN, Sionics, Criterion, Ballistic Advantage, Compass Lake. It all depends on your budget, I have a Criterion that shoots comfortably under moa, maybe .7, a pistol BA that would cloverleaf at 50 with 55gr pmc, and I've taken it out to 2-300 with no complaints. Faxons seems to be a bit hit or miss, I have a 7.62x39 that shoots between 2 and 3 moa with wolf, so I'm happy with that, but my brother had a 18 gunner profile that he was chasing sub 2 moa with, never really got there even with handloading. Rosco are another quality barrel on the budget end of things. Stag sells decent barrels, I don't think they oem, but still. BCM sells good barrels, they tend to not be the most accurate but still acceptable, I belive FN is the maker of their BFH,. Daniel Defense are pretty good all around, the sample size of one I've seen shoots well, and there aren’t many posts I've seen with complaints about accuracy. Compass Lake will set you up with a phenomenal barrel, its basically a semi custom barrel with your blank of choice, including top tier makers like bartlein and kreiger. Obviously the prices vary pretty drastically between them, but they tend to lean to different applications, and thats up to you to decide what your needs are vs wants, and balance that from your wallet

Feedback Score
    Just fitted a 18 inch Core by Criterion and gotta say it is very nice! Hope it shoots as well as it looks.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Faxon was the worst barrel we ever shot. Poorly QPQ'd is my guess. Pappabear sent the POS back, and those clowns told us we'd shot 10,000 rounds thru it, but actual counts were no more than a few hundred.

Never heard of Kak.
    Having machined a Faxon barrel before, I can personally attest to their nitride being top notch. The problem is that to achieve the hard, rust proof types of nitride, it has to be done at extremely high temperature, and I can't imagine that's good for the barrel. It's like 1200 degrees for hours on end that these barrels get dunked in.

Now think of this. It's the heat that kills barrels, not the friction of the bullet going down the pipe. In a zero heat environment, a barrel could last indefinitely. Pistol barrels almost do, especially something like .45 ACP. Any finishing done to a pistol barrel is solely to prevent corrosion and make it look nice.

On a rifle barrel, though, the biggest factor in longevity is heat over time. And there are thresholds where you go much above a certain temperature and it's going to dramatically reduce lifespan, and obviously those thresholds are well below 1200 degrees.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by okie View Post
    Having machined a Faxon barrel before, I can personally attest to their nitride being top notch. The problem is that...
    Pretty sure they have engineers that know how to do it properly. Also sure you are not one of them...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DG23 View Post
    Pretty sure they have marketing execs that know how to do it properly. Also sure you are not one of them...
    FIFY

Do you really think it's a coincidence that nitride on centerfire barrels is exclusively a phenomenon of the commercial firearms market?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DG23 View Post
    Pretty sure they have marketing execs that know how to do it properly. Also sure you are not one of them...
    FIFY

Do you really think it's a coincidence that nitride on centerfire barrels is exclusively a phenomenon of the commercial firearms market?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by turnburglar View Post
    If you don't really care about accuracy a ton, I would just pick the barrel that looks cooler.

I haven't owned a KAK barrel, but shot a season on my Faxon 14.5 match gunner. That tube seemed to like lighter bullets much more than heavier ones. The only load it was true sub moa for was my 50gr federal varmint. It didn't care for any 77's.

Since Faxon I have tried Rainer and BRT. The rainer was a little gassy, but a laser beam with the 77's. The BRT is my current and looks like a good tube to me.
    I have a couple faxon barrels, neither is impressive. One is a "match" barrel. It'll shoot near moa with quality 55 grain ammo, but throws 69 & 77 smks all over the place. No idea why and I'm not spending the money to figure it out. That rifle is slowly getting stripped for parts for other projects. I won't touch faxon again.

The other faxon barrel has also been stripped out of service.

For less than $250, WOA are the barrels I would recommend if accuracy is a top priority. I've built several and they all shoot 3/4 moa or better with match ammo.

BA Hanson is a good all around barrel and can be found for around $150 - $200.

Those are the best "low cost" options I can recommend. I cannot recommend faxon to anyone.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast