Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How is an individual buying a machine gun from another same state individual handled?

Feedback Score

How is an individual buying a machine gun from another same state individual handled?

I searched but surprisingly found nothing. I'm looking at potentially buying a machine gun from another individual that lives in the same state as I do. Would it be transferred directly to me on a Form 4 or does it have to go through a dealer?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret View Post
    I searched but surprisingly found nothing. I'm looking at potentially buying a machine gun from another individual that lives in the same state as I do. Would it be transferred directly to me on a Form 4 or does it have to go through a dealer?
    F4 -> F4, no dealer needed.

Feedback Score
    That's what I was hoping. Thanks!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Very easy. My second m16 was an in state individual to individual f4 transfer.
    SLG Defense 07/02 FFL/SOT

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I did one via Form 4 from them to myself.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    As another poster noted, the process is the same but no dealer involved. No dealer fees or shipping. This can be a small savings. Plus you usually can arrange to test fire and personally inspect.

TED

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    How do you guys verify the person isn't going to keep shooting/potentially damage the gun after sale?

6-12 months is a long time to give someone the price of a car.
    Why do the loudest do the least?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    How do you guys verify the person isn't going to keep shooting/potentially damage the gun after sale?

I don't own any MGs, but typically you would pay a small down payment (I would be comfortable with 5-10%) and then once the stamp clears pay the balance and take possession.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post

It is what it is with a private sale. In my case the rifle was pristine when I bought it. When I got it had been run pretty hard and was pretty dirty, not totally filthy though. All money was upfront because the guy was hard up for money at the time (child custody type situation).

In the end, it was all good as I got the rifle below fair market value which is why I jumped on it when I did. Considering what is involved with a valid Form 4 transfer to the seller, the overall risk is somewhat mitigated from outright fraud, otherwise, they likely would not have it legally in the first place. However, even Form 4 holders go AWOL and other stupid things occasionally so, 'buyer beware'.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ClangClang View Post
    I don't own any MGs, but typically you would pay a small down payment (I would be comfortable with 5-10%) and then once the stamp clears pay the balance and take possession.
    50/50 is more common.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast