Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Non-ARs for collection before State AWB

Feedback Score

Non-ARs for collection before State AWB

After Bruen, I thought the mag and AWB law would fall a lot faster than they have. I’m starting to wonder if they’ll be able to outlast Thomas on the court. We are also looking at getting an AWB here in CO as a last gasp/grab virtue signal. Plus, if Trump doesn’t win who knows what will happen.

I’ve got ARs. Pretty much just did ARs (AR10s) and never really branched out, but if I might not have the option of Semiauto rifles in the future, what should I look at? I have ARs for every possible game and serious activity. I have MP5 in various forms. Other than that, a complete newbie, not even an AK. I was brand loyal.

Prefer new, but will buy used.

What I don’t have is full ambi ARs. Got close on LMTs, are there better?
    A good AK.
    Non-DI AR? HK416?

Outside of that, what should a good rifle collection look like, say with $10-12k to spend. Not really looking for ‘collectible’ versions, but representative of technology.

Like for cameras, for Canon’s I have:
    F1N
    A1
    T90
    5DII
    1DIII
    1DXII
    5Dsr
    I can tell a story of the development of SLRs with those cameras.
    The Second Amendment ACKNOWLEDGES our right to own and bear arms that are in common use that can be used for lawful purposes. The arms can be restricted ONLY if subject to historical analogue from the founding era or is dangerous (unsafe) AND unusual.

It's that simple.

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    Here is how I would spend your money. Lots of stuff that would easily be banned by an Executive order but all is available new and for reasonable prices and will probably never get cheaper.

1. Steyr Aug (Iconic and currently supported). 1600 Takes AR mags (although I prefer original mags). Very cool
    2. Beryl AK (real import in .556 so you don't have to get the now pricey ak ammo). 1600 Takes Beryl mags but they are avail right now.
    3. X95 IWI $1700 Takes AR mags, 556
    4. Scar P (Currently around 2699) Genuine Belgian SCAR (probably need Brace or SBR). Best Value in Scar and actual import.
    5. Hellion VHS. Very accurate and Cool bulpup. Legit import. 1650

All of these are good choices and will have warranty support unlike looking for old Russian guns or pre 89 stuff
    Let those who are fond of blaming and finding fault, while they sit safely at home, ask, ‘Why did you not do thus and so?’I wish they were on this voyage; I well believe that another voyage of a different kind awaits them.”

Christopher Columbus

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    My list are guns that you can find instock right now:

1. AUG/A3M1: It’s a really fun gun. Waffle mags are the way to go vs STANAG mag IMHO

3. DSA FAL (SA58 BUSH WARRIOR CARBINE): Classic FAL Paratrooper 50.63 style with folding stock

4. PSAK47

5. B&T APC9 Pro or K

Feedback Score
    1. AK
    2. HK type roller lock
    3. FAL
    4. AUG
    5. SCAR L or H
    6. M1A

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by FromMyColdDeadHand View Post
    After Bruen, I thought the mag and AWB law would fall a lot faster than they have. I’m starting to wonder if they’ll be able to outlast Thomas on the court. We are also looking at getting an AWB here in CO as a last gasp/grab virtue signal. Plus, if Trump doesn’t win who knows what will happen.

I’ve got ARs. Pretty much just did ARs (AR10s) and never really branched out, but if I might not have the option of Semiauto rifles in the future, what should I look at? I have ARs for every possible game and serious activity. I have MP5 in various forms. Other than that, a complete newbie, not even an AK. I was brand loyal.

Prefer new, but will buy used.

What I don’t have is full ambi ARs. Got close on LMTs, are there better?
    A good AK.
    Non-DI AR? HK416?

Outside of that, what should a good rifle collection look like, say with $10-12k to spend. Not really looking for ‘collectible’ versions, but representative of technology.

Like for cameras, for Canon’s I have:
    F1N
    A1
    T90
    5DII
    1DIII
    1DXII
    5Dsr
    I can tell a story of the development of SLRs with those cameras.
    You wanting stuff to actually use, or just to look at?

Our new awb in IL doesn't even allow me to buy parts for my many ar's and also requires I register them. I refuse to register them so I had to bring them all to my winter spot in Florida and it wasn't an easy job loading and hauling them down. I'm glad I didn't have more. I had sold 6 or 7 before the law went into effect.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Dumb Gun Collector View Post
    Here is how I would spend your money. Lots of stuff that would easily be banned by an Executive order but all is available new and for reasonable prices and will probably never get cheaper.

1. Steyr Aug (Iconic and currently supported). 1600 Takes AR mags (although I prefer original mags). Very cool
    2. Beryl AK (real import in .556 so you don't have to get the now pricey ak ammo). 1600 Takes Beryl mags but they are avail right now.
    3. X95 IWI $1700 Takes AR mags, 556
    4. Scar P (Currently around 2699) Genuine Belgian SCAR (probably need Brace or SBR). Best Value in Scar and actual import.
    5. Hellion VHS. Very accurate and Cool bulpup. Legit import. 1650

All of these are good choices and will have warranty support unlike looking for old Russian guns or pre 89 stuff
    I have a scar17 and love it.

For the life of me though I can't figure out why someone would lay out almost 3 grand for a 7.5" 5.56 pistol, no matter what the name on it is.
    If you want something that's similar to a flamethrower there are a lot cheaper options.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    As a child of the Cold war it would have to be:

1) classic FAL pattern

2) G3/91 HK roller lock

3) classic AK (or variant) carbine fixed stock

4) AR-10 rifle'ish config

5) M-16A1 config 5.56

The above covers the majority of modern longarm in widespread use from the late '60s to the turn of the century and really beyond.

If you could find a decent one a classic M14 with Mil parts would be appropriate. But it's getting very hard and expensive to find and they really weren't that big of a part of modern mil light arms progression. And are very expensive for the functionality you would get.

An AR 180 would be a good addition if you could find one.

As would an AKM pattern.

None of them should be modernized (pic rails and short barrels, etc.).

If you haven't before, handle/shoot a H&K roller lock or FAL even in original configuration, then handle a classic M14.

The M14 feels like a blunderbuss compared to the FAL and h&k.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by FromMyColdDeadHand View Post
    You've made the assumption that the leftist legislators, executives and judges will follow Supreme Court rulings. This will not happen. While our side follows laws and court rulings that are contrary to the Constitution, the leftists place no such limits on themselves. Even if Trump wins (which isn't likely), who knows what he'll do. He's already shown that he'll throw us under the bus.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret View Post
    You've made the assumption that the leftist legislators, executives and judges will follow Supreme Court rulings. This will not happen. While our side follows laws and court rulings that are contrary to the Constitution, the leftists place no such limits on themselves. Even if Trump wins (which isn't likely), who knows what he'll do. He's already shown that he'll throw us under the bus.
    If the rule of law is dead for them, it is also dead for us. Game on Bitches.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ryr8828 View Post
    You wanting stuff to actually use, or just to look at?

Our new awb in IL doesn't even allow me to buy parts for my many ar's and also requires I register them. I refuse to register them so I had to bring them all to my winter spot in Florida and it wasn't an easy job loading and hauling them down. I'm glad I didn't have more. I had sold 6 or 7 before the law went into effect.
    The AR platform pretty much does everything pretty well, so for most uses, I'd be using an AR. This is just more of a 'cool to have' before I can't get. ALong the lines of my HK PSP and MP5s. What guns can I get now that I might not be able to get later. I have worried about 'death sentence' restrictions, and frankly CO hasn't gone totally crazy- and the current laws are poorly enforced. If I live here in 10 years, I'll be very surprised. But I'll deal with that if it comes.

Quote Originally Posted by Bret View Post
    I think, baring something happening to Thomas, we'll get a bright red line ruling on these. Sure, they can screw around the edges, but there is still a lot of western/libertarian here that flavors somethings. I just worry more about DEnver going full stupid fast, or really the DAs dropping the hammer on anyone that actually defends themselves.

But that is all secondary a gear question- something I can control.
    The Second Amendment ACKNOWLEDGES our right to own and bear arms that are in common use that can be used for lawful purposes. The arms can be restricted ONLY if subject to historical analogue from the founding era or is dangerous (unsafe) AND unusual.

It's that simple.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast