Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Has anyone here racked up time with a Bren 2 yet?

Feedback Score
    duplicate
    Last edited by Aries144; 05-16-20 at 22:01.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ramairthree View Post
    This is an absolutely fantastic, detailed, and useful response.

It is very helpful.

Thank you.
    Glad to be of help. I look forward to your evaluation of the Bren 2, should you decide to pick one up.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Couple of thoughts here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pL75snWpbcQ

The gun is seriously over gassed. The 9 inch 7.62X39 needs a suppressor port bad. I cant even begin to imagine how bad the malfunctions will get with a higher back pressure suppressor. The Sandman K is a relatively low backpressure can so that helps the situation but once I get a chance to try my Resonator K (which I theorize will be a high backpressure can), ill report back.

The clear magazines are indeed garbage. I have a sample size of two and they're both failing at the feed lips. Its a slow death as they haven't outright cracked but they're getting there.

The ACR stock is a piece of over hyped shit. My sample size of one has a cheekpiece that refuses to remain put. Its constantly moving on me and is really uncomfortable. There is also something "off" about the way the gun shoulders. I cannot wait for a chance to change this out for something better. Ideally, the factory stocks are better and someone releases a brace adapter. The fact that it doesnt fold well is also an annoyance. Mine flops around as it cannot latch onto anything (no surprise since it wasn't designed for this gun) and it came without a spring so there's no tension in the hinge.

Aries's summary of the safety was spot on. I find it to be really stiff but not unusable. I have an HBI extended safety on the left side of the gun and the factory on the right. The HBI is too long to be run in an ambi setting as it will grind into my knuckle even more so than the factory safety blade.

I am still trouble shooting my issues with my HBI handguard. Long story short, the bolt started binding over 45 inch lbs of torque on the trunion bolts. I applied loctite 2422, torqued to 45 inch lbs and am running the gun as hard as I can to see if i can get the bolts to back off. I'm crossing my fingers. HBI has been exceptionally responsive to my issues and its been a pleasure dealing with them.

What else to add...

Ah. Zero gas to the face with the Sandman K. I was super pleased with this as my turbo K on my 556 guns, being a high back pressure can, is pretty awful lol. I've had to do a ton of tuning to get those things functional. Short of the actual function issues with the Bren and the Sandman, its a pleasure to shoot. I believe that a smaller gas port should solve the bolt carrier velocity issues.
    You are a genuine toolbag if you have your EDC "loadout" in your signature line...

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    I appreciate Aries144's report, and while I've fondled the one I want (5.56 pistol) at my local shop, I'm not ready to give up my 805 SP-1 just yet.

Yeah, the 805 is still like carrying a Czechoslovakian tank around your neck, but I've encountered none of the control or mag issues the MS2 is experiencing (at least using PMags). It's a workout program all of its own, but I'm not second-guessing anything about it at the range to date.

I'll be curious to see if they address any of Aries concerns in future runs, as I still wouldn't mind having a lighter PDW.
    - Either you're part of the problem or you're part of the solution or you're just part of the landscape - Sam (Robert DeNiro) in, "Ronin" -

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by The_War_Wagon View Post
    I appreciate Aries144's report, and while I've fondled the one I want (5.56 pistol) at my local shop, I'm not ready to give up my 805 SP-1 just yet.

Yeah, the 805 is still like carrying a Czechoslovakian tank around your neck, but I've encountered none of the control or mag issues the MS2 is experiencing (at least using PMags). It's a workout program all of its own, but I'm not second-guessing anything about it at the range to date.

I'll be curious to see if they address any of Aries concerns in future runs, as I still wouldn't mind having a lighter PDW.
    Has the 5.56 Bren 2MS had issues with pmags?

Feedback Score
    64 (98%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Aries144 View Post
    Mine has not.
    Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly; the ill deeds along with the good, and let me be judged accordingly.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    The issue with the 5.56 guns is that there is no support for the mag which can result in it being over inserted causing rounds to pop out of the feed lips. The bushmaster ACR had this same issue. The best way to remedy this is to use M3 magazines.
    You are a genuine toolbag if you have your EDC "loadout" in your signature line...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Magsz View Post
    The issue with the 5.56 guns is that there is no support for the mag which can result in it being over inserted causing rounds to pop out of the feed lips. The bushmaster ACR had this same issue. The best way to remedy this is to use M3 magazines.
    I wonder why they overlooked this.

Also,
    No 8 inch guns near me, only 11.

Which, while longer with a can than I find ideal,
    Probably makes more sense.
    “Where weapons may not be carried, it is well to carry weapons.”

Feedback Score
    Ok, hang on- The 5.56 magazines DO NOT overinsert. That's not what I'm describing. The overinsertion tab under the mag catch hole is more than sufficient to prevent overinsertion.

If you He-Man a mag in with the bolt locked to the rear, the top round can pop out of the mag. This is because, unlike an AR15 upper receiver, there are no lips of material on either side inside the upper receiver that support the sides of the feedlips. Every non AR15 related design I've handled has this issue. IIRC, the ARX100 has it, the SCAR has it, and the Bren 2 has it. I wouldn't be surprised if the ACR and G36 (with STANAG adapter) had it as well.

If you've ever had an issue with deforming the overinsertion lip on your USGI mags to the point that you couldn't rest the gun on the mag without inducing malfunctions, this might be an issue for you. You may also consider laying off the 1000% daily male hormone supplements. Your magazines, local prostitutes, and accessible farm animals will thank you.

Remember:

One mistake

Can often lead to others

Last edited by Aries144; 05-27-20 at 00:10.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Ok, hang on- The 5.56 magazines DO NOT overinsert. That's not what I'm describing. The overinsertion tab under the mag catch hole is more than sufficient to prevent overinsertion.

If you He-Man a mag in with the bolt locked to the rear, the top round can pop out of the mag. This is because, unlike an AR15 upper receiver, there are no lips of material on either side inside the upper receiver that support the sides of the feedlips. Every non AR15 related design I've handled has this issue. IIRC, the ARX100 has it, the SCAR has it, and the Bren 2 has it. I wouldn't be surprised if the ACR and G36 (with STANAG adapter) had it as well.

If you've ever had an issue with deforming the overinsertion lip on your USGI mags to the point that you couldn't rest the gun on the mag without inducing malfunctions, this might be an issue for you. You may also consider laying off the 1000% daily male hormone supplements. Your magazines, local prostitutes, and accessible farm animals will thank you.

Remember:

One mistake

Can often lead to others

That's a pretty obnoxious post. Let's try and keep this mature, please.

Over time, magazine over insertion stops wear out. Coming down hard on a gun in the prone can do damage to this stop as well. Under stress, over inserting a magazine is a thing. Not everyone is a cool operator that uses EXACTLY the right amount of pressure to get their magazines to lock in while filming themselves for the 'gram.

I'm a push pull type of guy and as I've said before, I have numerous mags that I've shit canned because the over insertion stops have worn out. To date, this is all relegated to Pmags, never an aluminum or steel USGI pattern. Its a thing, whether you want to believe it or not. The ACR had horrible issues with over insertion of magazines. The Bren is a little bit better but it can still suffer from issues if the mag is inserted on the harder side of the spectrum and that top round vomits out.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast