Thread: Streamlight TLR-7A observations.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)

Streamlight TLR-7A observations.

I bought a Streamlight TLR-7A and wanted to share some observations. I'm just an everyday guy without any special training, so take it for what it's worth.

Specs can be found on Streamlight's webpage.

I got the FLEX version which comes with the "high" switch installed and a "low" switch option to swap, if desired. After mounting the light, I can't see the need for the "low" option and suspect Streamlight will do away with it altogether in the future. Based on the shape and location of the serrations, both switches are designed to be pressed downwards for activation. However, the switch also allows for push-forward activation.

The downwards activation feels most natural for my support-hand thumb while the forwards activation feels most natural for my trigger finger. The switches are ambidextrous and function identically on either side of the light. A long press activates the light in momentary mode while a short press is constant-on. There's also a strobe option that's disabled by default and can be enabled with Streamlight's "TEN-TAP" programming. I almost wish that constant-on could also be disabled, as my rifle lights are momentary-only.

Compared to my unboxing experience with Surefire's XC1, I'm impressed with the level of detail and options included in the TLR-7A package. There are six rail keys to fine-tune the position of the light; two for "universal" pistol slots and four for 1913 slots. The default -1 pushes the light the farthest back towards the trigger. If we reference that as position 0, then (approximately):

UNIV-1 = 0mm
    UNIV-2 = +5mm
    1913-1 = 0mm
    1913-2 = +2mm
    1913-3 = +7mm
    1913-4 = +10mm

Streamlight provides a Compatibility List with rail key recommendations but I found at least one Youtube review that didn't agree with it.

Here are some photos of the light test-fitted to various pistols.

M&P9, UNIV-1:

PPQ, UNIV-1:

P99, UNIV-2:

P226, UNIV-1:

1911, UNIV-1, noticeable shadowing:

Obviously, this light was designed for compact pistols so it had significant shadowing on the 1911, but I didn't notice shadowing on the P226. For me, mounting the light all the way back towards the trigger with the -1 key crowded the trigger guard, so I ended up choosing the 1913-2 key for my application. Once you choose your rail key, you can install a provided e-clip using the included tool to capture the thumbscrew. This prevents tool-less rail key changes but also prevents losing the thumbscrew.

Oh, and if it matters to anyone, the package says "Assembled in the USA of U.S. and Foreign Parts." I have no idea what that means. I think Streamlight has addressed the complaints against the TLR-7 and this light is representative of the design direction they're headed (TLR-8A, TLR-9, TLR-RM1, TLR-RM2).
    Last edited by crosseyedshooter; 05-13-20 at 19:23.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)

I’m running one on my G19 EDC. So far I’m very impressed with the light. New switches are a huge improvement over the originals.

Gen 5 G19 using the 1913-1 key.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Excellent info. Im looking for the version with the high switch only. I can only find the flex versions. I can't find them in stock anywhere.

I was also wondering about holster compatibility. I've been using the original tlr7 with the crappy switch. I have two holsters that fit that light. I wonder if the new switches cause any issues with fit.
    Last edited by signal4l; 05-14-20 at 09:42.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Just did a little research and answered my own questions...

I am using Tenicor holsters. They will work with either the TLR with sideswitch or the new switches on the TLR7A.

Streamlight is only selling the more expensive Flex version now. The woman I spoke with does not know if they will be selling the lights in the future with only one switch.

If you have an older tlr7 with the side switch the new switches will not work. They are not compatible.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Thank you for putting up such a great comparison chart!
    98% Sarcastic. 100% Overthinking things and making up reasons for buying a new firearm.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by signal4l View Post
    Excellent info. Im looking for the version with the high switch only. I can only find the flex versions. I can't find them in stock anywhere.

I was also wondering about holster compatibility. I've been using the original tlr7 with the crappy switch. I have two holsters that fit that light. I wonder if the new switches cause any issues with fit.
    https://lapolicegear.com/streamlight...tlr7-high.html

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by signal4l View Post
    I can't find them in stock anywhere.
    I bought mine from Premium Select Supplies for $110.38 shipped using coupon code SG10. Be sure to select the "Rear Switch" option.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Thanks for the links. I ordered the flex version from GunBroker $113.

Can't wait to get this on my g19. I really like these lights. They don't change the balance or handling of the weapon very much at all.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    How do these lights engage the holster for glocks? I have a g19 with a xc1 light and it has no click style retention or seems like it just slides in and the holster keeps it in place with pressure. I'm half afraid it will fall out.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Twilk73 View Post
    How do these lights engage the holster for glocks? I have a g19 with a xc1 light and it has no click style retention or seems like it just slides in and the holster keeps it in place with pressure. I'm half afraid it will fall out.
    Each holster will be different but most engage on the ejection port. There is really nowhere on a 7A to engage because the rear edges are all switch that would cause activation when going in/out of the holster. Most holsters don't engage on the WML for this reason.

If the holster is Kydex you can easily adjust the tension with a heat gun yourself by very carefully pushing in at the ejection port. I adjusted my duty plainclothes Raven holster to be super tight.

Dennis.