Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Battlebelt light - is brighter, BETTER?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    25 (100%)

Question Battlebelt light - is brighter, BETTER?

What are the group's thoughts, on a battlebelt light?

Reason I ask is, I'm rocking an 800 lumen InForce WML on my HD rifle, with with which I can x-ray the housecat. NONE of my other rifles are running less than 400 lumen lights. So should I hang another light sabre on my belt, or would my old 100 lumen PentagonLight make more sense, so as not to burn a hole in a map, burn up my NVS, give away my location clear into the next county, etc. If you're already running a torch on your weapon, would something a little less powerful make sense on the belt - or do I need a torch there, too?
    - Either you're part of the problem or you're part of the solution or you're just part of the landscape - Sam (Robert DeNiro) in, "Ronin" -

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    There are lots of different opinions on this.

More lumens, more spill etc can be mitigated with technique, ie umbrella lighting, baseboard lighting, cupping the light, etc.

Conversely, you cant produce more lumen/candela if you need it.

I really think the Lumen and Candela wars are stupid. I like that it drives product development but we are getting into an era where a white light setup on a carbine including tape switches is over five hundred dollars. That's bordering on crazy when realistically, for most purposes, a 600 lumen G2 in a simple mount will accomplish most goals.

Its really down to what you want out of a light and what your use case is. Most name brand lights these days will be right enough for MOST applications.
    You are a genuine toolbag if you have your EDC "loadout" in your signature line...

Feedback Score
    If you needed an admin light, there are a bazillion out there that would be much better suited to the task than the PentagonLight. A Streamlight penlight runs like 10 USD to 20 USD, is way smaller, and can still be used for map reading or navigation. Having a powerful handheld separate from your WML has its own use, I would think that ideally you would want a dedicated handheld with some power behind it, and a separate admin light (though I would just use my phone for such a task).
    Last edited by Defaultmp3; 05-14-20 at 01:04.
    Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

老僧三十年前未參禪時、見山是山、見水是水、及至後夾親見知識、有箇入處、見山不是山、見水不是水、而今得箇體歇處、依然見山秪是山、見水秪是水。

https://www.instagram.com/defaultmp3/

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Defaultmp3 View Post
    If you needed an admin light, there are a bazillion out there that would be much better suited to the task than the PentagonLight. A Streamlight penlight runs like 10 USD to 20 USD, is way smaller, and can still be used for map reading or navigation. Having a powerful handheld separate from your WML has its own use, I would think that ideally you would want a dedicated handheld with some power behind it, and a separate admin light (though I would just use my phone for such a task).
    I used the PentagonLight as an example (old lights NEVER go away... they just KEEP piling up!). I note the Inforce TFx has 3 settings - full power, low light (40 lumens, I think), and strobe. I'm wondering if THAT might be a good choice, or is it too 'gimicky.'
    - Either you're part of the problem or you're part of the solution or you're just part of the landscape - Sam (Robert DeNiro) in, "Ronin" -

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by The_War_Wagon View Post
    I used the PentagonLight as an example (old lights NEVER go away... they just KEEP piling up!). I note the Inforce TFx has 3 settings - full power, low light (40 lumens, I think), and strobe. I'm wondering if THAT might be a good choice, or is it too 'gimicky.'
    Sure, my point was more that a very small task light these days is very cheap, and IMO is worth buying a new one even though you already have an old light, simply due to the fact that the task light would be both small and light, and thus much easier to carry in conjunction with a powerful light that has more tactical/search capabilities, compared to lugging around an old light. As for the TFx, the 60 lumen low is probably a bit high for task lighting, but that's hardly insurmountable, and should be a viable multi-use light based off of the specs.
    Last edited by Defaultmp3; 05-14-20 at 11:25.
    Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

老僧三十年前未參禪時、見山是山、見水是水、及至後夾親見知識、有箇入處、見山不是山、見水不是水、而今得箇體歇處、依然見山秪是山、見水秪是水。

https://www.instagram.com/defaultmp3/

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Defaultmp3 View Post
    Yeah, just get a little led light and clip it to your top button hole or chest rig and use that for maps/reading/admin. Keep it simple.
    "It is only the warrior who chooses pacifism. All others are condemned to it."

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."
    Dangerous Freedom over Peaceful Slavery.

Feedback Score
    I carry two lights on duty currently. The first is a Streamlight Stinger HL DS and a QuiqLite on my vest for lowlight admin tasks.The Stinger is my go to for most things. In my patrol bag is a Surefire Fury Dual Fuel for searching larger areas or when I need to push all the light out there.

If i was limited to stuff to keep mounted on a belt, the Fury DF is what I'd take with me.
    Last edited by Vandal; 03-11-21 at 01:10.
    Reads a lot, posts little.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Why not both options in one light?

https://www.surefire.com/e2t-mv-tact...lashlight.html

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogue556 View Post
    Why not both options in one light?

https://www.surefire.com/e2t-mv-tact...lashlight.html

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

That ain't bad, at only $149.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Yea...2 lights would work great, most really bright lights can't also do very low settings - preferably <10 lumens and even a moonlight mode of 0.5 - 1 lumen. In very dark conditions, a moonlight mode surprisingly is bright enough for a lot of things.

example:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast