Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Did I ruin my upper receiver?

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Lesson learned, on a colt upper no less. Unfortunate for sure but I would install the BCM receiver and cut the colt in half.

I have removed FSB and replaced with low pro gas blocks and never worried about the steel rusting...next time a quick shot of krylon and don’t over think it.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Or next time spend $100-150 to send it to someone who can shave a FSB and treat the area.

Then again, I'm one of those "how much is my time worth to me" guys, especially when it would involve a dremel and anything but very minor fitment issues - and I have resorted to only have small files around for that these days. Same would be true when hours in an oven we use for food might be involved...

Just, no.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Unless you plan on having a kaboom(dear lord you shouldnt be reloading anyway) a slightly weakened upper receiver isnt going hurt anything. The upper itself is under very little stress. You could maybe put a crack in the threads if you are hulking out on the handguards but the upper receiver is basically just a tube the bolt carrier rides in.
    Last edited by vicious_cb; 05-15-20 at 15:36.

Feedback Score
    Don't be too hard on the OP, it's all a good learning experience. I still remember the first time I broke the trigger guard tab off. Now I always use a jig.

Op: want to sell me the Colt upper? I'll pay good dollar for it and hopefully it will make you feel better... I actually really dig that color and looks like it will go well with a DD Mk18 rail on a display gun. You might even see it on our Shot Show booth next year... lol

VT
    Official Account for ValhallaTactical.com. Clever designs for intelligent marksmen.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Valhalla View Post
    Don't be too hard on the OP, it's all a good learning experience. I still remember the first time I broke the trigger guard tab off. Now I always use a jig.

Op: want to sell me the Colt upper? I'll pay good dollar for it and hopefully it will make you feel better... I actually really dig that color and looks like it will go well with a DD Mk18 rail on a display gun. You might even see it on our Shot Show booth next year... lol

VT
    Lol, I always hammer that thing and hope for the best. I grease the pin out of respect.

The above looks like a mutually beneficial deal.
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    Just lie to everyone at the range. Say you threw into a fire to see if your Aimpoint would work.

"I pulled it straight outta the flames bruhh, immediately dropping to the prone position I made several 400M headshots before mag-dumping the rest into a steel paddle at 100"

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    It should still be serviceable as a 22lr upper.

Feedback Score
    Interesting thread, sorry to the OP, that sucks!

On the bright side, it looks cool.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MWAG19919 View Post
    Am I okay, or is this landing me in the Gunsmithing Hall of Shame?
    I'd say that upper is pretty well trashed. You exposed a bunch of parts to too high a heat for too long. Not just the discolored alloy part of the receiver, but also the springs, steel small parts the, and the barrel extension. FYI you probably could have just let the paint air cure, assembled the gun, shot it, and the paint would have heat cured slowly as you heated and cooled the gun from use. Some engine paints work this way. You can heat cure them, or just paint it and drive it, and call it good. even just hitting the painted part with a heat gun a few times, would have been fine.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Pretty much covered.
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123