Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bergara B14 HMR Pro

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Zane1844 View Post
    I'm excited to hear how it shoots. I would get the Pro but I'm a lefty, and I want the standard in that configuration. If it wasn't for the "stay at home" order I'd have one.

What scope you planning to put on it? I got the 4.5-27x Razor, but I'm not planning on hunting with it much. I think maybe. 3-x might do well and be lighter.
    I want an FFP scope with mil / mil.Doing some research now. Leaning towards Vortex Viper or Razor. This may be a really dumb question but in the old days the rings for bolt actions mounted directly to the rifle and with my AR's the mount is attached to the rail. Is the optimal way to scope the Bergara by mounting a small picatanny rail and then putting the mounts or rings on that?

Feedback Score
    I'm excited to hear how it shoots. I would get the Pro but I'm a lefty, and I want the standard in that configuration. If it wasn't for the "stay at home" order I'd have one.

What scope you planning to put on it? I got the 4.5-27x Razor, but I'm not planning on hunting with it much. I think maybe. 3-x might do well and be lighter.
    I want an FFP scope with mil / mil.Doing some research now. Leaning towards Vortex Viper or Razor. This may be a really dumb question but in the old days the rings for bolt actions mounted directly to the rifle and with my AR's the mount is attached to the rail. Is the optimal way to scope the Bergara by mounting a small picatanny rail and then putting the mounts or rings on that?

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Devildawg2531 View Post
    Picatinny rail bases allow you a lot more flexibility in where you position scope rings (for setting eye relief and working with your particular scope's space for rings), while also being an easy way to add some cant to the scope. With a 308 you're going to want at least a 20 moa base if you plan to shoot past 600-700 yards.

The canted base allows you to zero closer to the bottom of your scope's elevation travel, giving you a bit more room to dial up for longer ranged targets.

There are still plenty of guys using direct mount rings, but it's usually on hunting rifles that are set up to save as much weight as possible, or because they just prefer the traditional look.

Area419 sells a nice package for the Bergara rifles that includes a 20 moa base, muzzle brake, and bipod rail that should fit your rifle (just check the SN before ordering):

https://www.area419.com/product/berg...mance-package/

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    I went with a Seekins 20moa pictatinny base. They have models that take the #8 screws and they all have recoil lugs.

The Razor, while I haven't shot with it yet, looks amazing. Great glass.
    It is from the construction of underground FEMA camps. I can't say more because there a guy parked in front of house in an AMC Pacer. He is acting like he talking on the phone, but I know better.

I have to sign off now & put my laptop in the microwave.
    - cqbdriver

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    I went with a Seekins 20moa pictatinny base. They have models that take the #8 screws and they all have recoil lugs.

The Razor, while I haven't shot with it yet, looks amazing. Great glass.
    The same guy I mentioned previously says he recommends more serious shooters drop the coin on the Razor vs the PST Gen2. His rationale is that he sees a lot of the same guys try the PST Gen2 and later move to the Razor anyway. I've gone from the HS-T to the PST Gen2 on my SPR, and can see how this would play out.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by taekwondopreacher View Post
    The same guy I mentioned previously says he recommends more serious shooters drop the coin on the Razor vs the PST Gen2. His rationale is that he sees a lot of the same guys try the PST Gen2 and later move to the Razor anyway. I've gone from the HS-T to the PST Gen2 on my SPR, and can see how this would play out.
    I would agree. It's worth spending the coin if you can swing it, even more so since Vortex dropped the price on the Gen 2 scopes.

I sucked it up and bought the 4.5-27 Gen 2 Razor and after a couple of years am still very happy with it.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Tx_Aggie View Post
    I would agree. It's worth spending the coin if you can swing it, even more so since Vortex dropped the price on the Gen 2 scopes.

I sucked it up and bought the 4.5-27 Gen 2 Razor and after a couple of years am still very happy with it.
    I ended up getting the Seekins base and Seekins rings (high). The Vortex Viper PST 3-15. It was $899 at Midway with free shipping and free Vortex rings. I will use the Seekins rings and use the Vortex rings on something else.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    It looks like it will arrive in about 2 weeks. Going to get some good glass for it and see how it shoots. Probably won’t bed it unless accuracy is disappointing. You bed it yourself or have someone do it? What was the improvement in accuracy with the bedding?

Thanks!
    We have a guy here. We never even shot it before bedding. And with the shitty scope ring issue, we wouldn't have learned anything anyway.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12