Thread: Scope mount question

Feedback Score

Scope mount question

I am trying to find a scope mount that I can use in conjunction with MBUIS. I am wanting to mount a Vortex Diamondback (4-12x40). I have the MBUIS on the rifle now, and zeroed.

With the rear sight, folded it is approximately .86" in height from the base rail. I'm unsure as to the height of the Vortex but the ocular lense is 1.69". I only want the MBUIS for peace of mind and now that they are zeroed am okay with keeping them folded I'm just trying to find a solid mount that works.

Is their something out there?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Half the occular is .845". If you mount the scope occular directly over the buis, that's 1.705" with no gap between them. Sooooo....it looks like you'll need at least a 1.93" scope mount. If so, plan on spending at least $190 for a mount. If you go economy, you can do a myriad of less expensive mounts that are 1.5" and use some sort of riser. You might be able to use some stand alone rings, probably talls. Just depends if the scope body has the room between the bells to mount them and then get it all on the top rail.
    Last edited by TomMcC; 05-16-20 at 18:33.

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TomMcC View Post
    Half the occular is .845". If you mount the scope occular directly over the buis, that's 1.705" with no gap between them. Sooooo....it looks like you'll need at least a 1.93" scope mount. If so, plan on spending at least $190 for a mount. If you go economy, you can do a myriad of less expensive mounts that are 1.5" and use some sort of riser. You might be able to use some stand alone rings, probably talls. Just depends if the scope body has the room between the bells to mount them and then get it all on the top rail.
    What happens to cheek weld when you jack up the scope?? It goes away if you ever had it. The scope height should be determined based on fit to the shooter. If that is too low to mount a sight under there are options. Bobro makes a set that are super low. Mine measure .209. That would go under his scope with a standard height mount with room to spare. Then there are offset sights.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by GH41 View Post
    What happens to cheek weld when you jack up the scope?? It goes away if you ever had it. The scope height should be determined based on fit to the shooter. If that is too low to mount a sight under there are options. Bobro makes a set that are super low. Mine measure .209. That would go under his scope with a standard height mount with room to spare. Then there are offset sights.
    All true...I was trying to work with his .86" high folded rear sight. Me personally, I would lose the buis and go with an optimized cheek weld and eye relief. Maybe use offsets like you suggested. I don't use irons anymore...I just can't see them well at all.

If he's shooting nose to charging handle, he could probably push that scope farther forward and still use the irons he already has, keeping the scope low.
    Last edited by TomMcC; 05-17-20 at 11:10.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I don't think you'll find the BUIS usable through the lowest power on a 4-12 scope.

Offset or no BUIS would be the reasonable choices.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 26 Inf View Post
    I don't think you'll find the BUIS usable through the lowest power on a 4-12 scope.

Offset or no BUIS would be the reasonable choices.
    I wasn't recommending using the buis' with the scope attached...it would have to be removed. But with nose to changing handle he could push the scope forward and use a lower scope mount for a better cheek weld.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by UTShooter71 View Post
    I am trying to find a scope mount that I can use in conjunction with MBUIS. I am wanting to mount a Vortex Diamondback (4-12x40). I have the MBUIS on the rifle now, and zeroed.

With the rear sight, folded it is approximately .86" in height from the base rail. I'm unsure as to the height of the Vortex but the ocular lense is 1.69". I only want the MBUIS for peace of mind and now that they are zeroed am okay with keeping them folded I'm just trying to find a solid mount that works.

Is their something out there?
    Given that the BUIS height may be a limiting factor, have you considered replacing it with a lower profile rear BUIS? Midwest Industries has a couple options.

Same Plane Low Profile Rear Sight (MCTAR-SPLP) - Sits only .4375" when folded
    https://www.midwestindustriesinc.com...r-splp-blk.htm

Combat Rifle Rear Flip Sight (MI-CRS-R) - Super low profile .388" centerline when folded down
    https://www.midwestindustriesinc.com...p/mi-crs-r.htm

Here is a pic of one of my ARs with the Combat RIfle Sights in use with a LaRue Tactical LT-204 C.A.N. QD SPR 30mm scope mount and a VORTEX Strike Eagle.

"A Bad Day At The Range Is Better Than A Great Day Working"

USMC Force Recon 1978-1984
    US Air Force Res. 1995-2004 (Air Transportation)
    M16/AR15 shooter since 1978, gun collector and AR builder since 2004

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Renegade04 View Post
    Given that the BUIS height may be a limiting factor, have you considered replacing it with a lower profile rear BUIS? Midwest Industries has a couple options.

Same Plane Low Profile Rear Sight (MCTAR-SPLP) - Sits only .4375" when folded
    https://www.midwestindustriesinc.com...r-splp-blk.htm

Combat Rifle Rear Flip Sight (MI-CRS-R) - Super low profile .388" centerline when folded down
    https://www.midwestindustriesinc.com...p/mi-crs-r.htm

Here is a pic of one of my ARs with the Combat RIfle Sights in use with a LaRue Tactical LT-204 C.A.N. QD SPR 30mm scope mount and a VORTEX Strike Eagle.
    Magpul's MBUS Pro is lower, at ~0.37" (per their website). But it is more expensive.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    First, Magpul LR with PST II 1-6, second Magpul Pro with Athlon 1-6, both in ADM 30mm Recon.--afterthought, the mounts are different and I have to check, dang. Forgot that the bottom one has the ability to change ring sizes as I remember having the 34mm ones in the cabinet.

GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Feedback Score
    I think this is what I'm looking for. The Midwest industries. I can have my irons as a backup, that will only be usednif the scope is damaged and needs to be taken off. Thanks everyone for the input.