Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Precision Rifle v. Hunting Rifle

Feedback Score

Precision Rifle v. Hunting Rifle

Is it feasible to have one firearm for both tasks? I understand that I'll be sacrificing some things (portability/weight on the hunting side, precision on the target side) but is there some sort of happy medium? A lot of the precision rifles that are marketed as such have heavy barrels and stocks, while the hunting rifles have very thin barrels and the light weight would cause too much recoil during extended shooting sessions. Is there something with a heavier barrel and a lighter stock that I can use?word counter VidMate Mobdro
    Last edited by MatiasMyles; 05-19-20 at 01:48.

Feedback Score
    Look toward designs like the old Remington LTR. There are also rifles with carbon fiber stocks and carbon fiber wrapped barrels, but it comes with a cost.

You could get something like a Bighorn TL3 action, Proof Sendero contour barrel, and a Manners Elite Hunter stock. You’ll have over three thousand in it by this point.

Myself, I prefer to have dedicated rifles for both rather than making compromises. It’s ultimately cheaper as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Look at the Bergara line, HMR rifles I think its (HMR) HUNT MATCH Rifle it is supposed to be a crossover and they do a great job with that IMHO.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MatiasMyles View Post
    is there some sort of happy medium?
    It really depends on the type of LR shooting you want to do, and the type of hunting you do.

A 20" light varmint contour in 6.5CM wouldn't be terrible.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd.K View Post
    It really depends on the type of LR shooting you want to do, and the type of hunting you do.
    This. Determine what kind of shooting do you need to do and what you are willing to carry. There's are plenty of intersections of precision, portability, and power out there depending on how much of each you need.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    To the 20” 6.5 Creedmoor advocates: oftentimes the velocity loss on 6.5 is greater than that of .308 Win. In my experience, a 185 gr Berger will hit 2600-2650 in a 20” rifle, while the 140 gr Berger in 6.5 hits 2500-2550 in a 20” rifle. BCs are quite similar, but the .308 goes a bit faster and has much more barrel life and a little more energy. This comes at the cost of recoil.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Another vote for the Bergara. Lots of features in their actions like side bolt release and mag feeding. Barrels are excellent and stocks are adjustable for LOP and cheek height.

What type of hunting and where?

Feedback Score
    The answer for me is my Steyr Scout rifle in .308. It carries 2 magazines, integral bipod and LOP adjustable stock. It is lightweight yet the recoil is not bad at all.

Feedback Score
    A Tikka CTR could do it relatively well. Personally, I'd rather have two rifles so you don't have to try and make one do something when it will just be okay at both.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Another vote for the Bergara HMR also. Especially when considering cost. Although I do have two other rifles I use for both. First is a Rem 700 5R .308 with a 20" barrel and the 2nd is a Seekins Precision Havak PH2 in 6.5PRC. The Seekins is about 1 1/2 lbs lighter than the Remington and they both shoot better than I can.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast