Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bergara B14 HMR Pro

Feedback Score

Bergara B14 HMR Pro

Just pulled the trigger on a Bergara B14 HMR Pro in 308. Could have gotten the B14 HMR standard for about $400 cheaper but liked a couple of the upgrades on the Pro. This has a 20 inch barrel and hoping to get it set up before a long distance course in a month. The feedback from PoppaBear on his in 300 WM and other reviews look great. This will be at about 9.5 pounds and I do plan to use in hunting is their an optics base that is a good choice when trying to juggle long distance performance with weight? I'd like to stretch this out to 1000 yards eventually (on steel not hunting).

Thanks!

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Cool. What's the difference between the Pro and Standard?
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Cool. What's the difference between the Pro and Standard?
    The pro is Cerakoted and supposedly the tolerances on the Premier action on the Pro are tighter than on the mass produced B14. The Pro is also stainless and has a fluted bolt. There are also eight / 40 scope base screw holes. Have to find a good scope and base for this now.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Nice. I didn't know there was a Pro. I just snatched up the Standard. Do you plan to bed it? We did so on the 300WM.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Nice. I didn't know there was a Pro. I just snatched up the Standard. Do you plan to bed it? We did so on the 300WM.
    It looks like it will arrive in about 2 weeks. Going to get some good glass for it and see how it shoots. Probably won’t bed it unless accuracy is disappointing. You bed it yourself or have someone do it? What was the improvement in accuracy with the bedding?

Thanks!

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    IIRC, the Pro version used to and may still have a "floating bolt face" and came with a TriggerTech trigger.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by taekwondopreacher View Post
    IIRC, the Pro version used to and may still have a "floating bolt face" and came with a TriggerTech trigger.
    yes I read that it does ... seemed like a lot of upgrades for about $400 more. Maybe mostly marketing spin or maybe real.. I don't know as I've not shot the base HMR or the Pro version yet. You have trigger time on both?

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Devildawg2531 View Post
    yes I read that it does ... seemed like a lot of upgrades for about $400 more. Maybe mostly marketing spin or maybe real.. I don't know as I've not shot the base HMR or the Pro version yet. You have trigger time on both?
    No. I do have limited trigger time on the standard model, but I shoot ARs with a guy who sells them along with TS Customs, etc. The guy's shop and TS Customs are in the same town, and I've talked shop (and shot AR with) with the shop owner quite a few times. My takeaway is that while the standard model has quite a few happy owners, the upgrades are worth the investment in padding your chances of having a great shooting rifle (bolt head), while saving time and energy in replacing parts(trigger), and helps with the elements we face out here(extreme cold and then "sweating" when you bring it in from the elements). If you aren't diving completely headlong or ready to go pro in PRS it can serve as a great entry in that direction to hit the ground running. It satisfies my simple requirements of:
    -factory ready w/o need for upgrades
    -corrosion resistant
    -likely to be very accurate with available loads (and obviously handloads)

I'll eventually buy a PRO model when my focus on ARs takes less precedence.

I'll add this as well. We all hear about people's "1/2 MOA" rifles or "1 inch at 300 yards". The only two guys I've had show up and shot MOA at will with their factory rifles were shooting Bergera HMR. I don't do PRS, so I'm probably not crossing paths with enough bolt gunners, but those two said they thought they could and their HMR 6.5 Creedmoors did. Who knows, maybe they both got lucky and they wind was blowing in the right direction.
    Last edited by opngrnd; 05-16-20 at 22:02.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    I'm excited to hear how it shoots. I would get the Pro but I'm a lefty, and I want the standard in that configuration. If it wasn't for the "stay at home" order I'd have one.

What scope you planning to put on it? I got the 4.5-27x Razor, but I'm not planning on hunting with it much. I think maybe. 3-x might do well and be lighter.
    Last edited by Zane1844; 05-16-20 at 22:32.
    It is from the construction of underground FEMA camps. I can't say more because there a guy parked in front of house in an AMC Pacer. He is acting like he talking on the phone, but I know better.

I have to sign off now & put my laptop in the microwave.
    - cqbdriver

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zane1844 View Post
    I'm excited to hear how it shoots. I would get the Pro but I'm a lefty, and I want the standard in that configuration. If it wasn't for the "stay at home" order I'd have one.

What scope you planning to put on it? I got the 4.5-27x Razor, but I'm not planning on hunting with it much. I think maybe. 3-x might do well and be lighter.
    I'm not sure who the question is directed to, but FWIW, I'm planning on a Razor of some type.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast