Thread: is it normal for a SureFire M600 Ultra Scout Light to be yellow.

Feedback Score

is it normal for a SureFire M600 Ultra Scout Light to be yellow.

hi, first time posting. i tried looking up if it is normal for a surefire m600 scout to have a yellowish tint and a really wide focused beam in the center. i have a streamlight protac 1 for reference. it was my understanding that the surefire is always said to have a really bright blueish tiny center versus streamlight but in my case it’s the other way around. the scout has a very noticeable yellow tint, this is my first surefire and i was wondering if it’s faulty, a fake, or is this normal? if you have some comparison pics on your lights i would greatly appreciate it if you would share.
    IMG_1345.jpg
    Last edited by the_fernie; 05-17-20 at 14:19. Reason: added photo

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    My experience with Surefire lights is limited by comparison, but that does not look like the colour or beam pattern of any Surefre I've sen or used.

Feedback Score
    66 (100%)
    I can try to get some pics later, but my Surefire's are neutral to warm side, but not that yellow. Where did you get the light?
    "To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms..."
    - Richard Henry Lee, 1788

Feedback Score
    thank you, is it possible to post a photo so i can compare?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by NoveskeFan View Post
    I can try to get some pics later, but my Surefire's are neutral to warm side, but not that yellow. Where did you get the light?
    i purchased it from arms unlimited when it was on sale for $200 last week.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by the_fernie View Post
    hi, first time posting. i tried looking up if it is normal for a surefire m600 scout to have a yellowish tint and a really wide focused beam in the center. i have a streamlight protac 1 for reference. it was my understanding that the surefire is always said to have a really bright blueish tiny center versus streamlight but in my case it’s the other way around. the scout has a very noticeable yellow tint, this is my first surefire and i was wondering if it’s faulty, a fake, or is this normal? if you have some comparison pics on your lights i would greatly appreciate it if you would share.
    IMG_1345.jpg
    It could be just the batch of LED's that they were using at the time. In all fairness, people like the blue/white tint because of how "brighter" it looks to their eyes. In reality, a little warmer tint does a lot better for color rendition which means a better identification ability. The blue/white tends to wash things out and make it harder to distinguish things and looking at colors closer in wavelength tend to be confused for each other.
    Last edited by Adrenaline_6; 05-20-20 at 08:26.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Adrenaline_6 View Post
    It could be just the batch of LED's that they were using at the time. In all fairness, people like the blue/white tint because of how "brighter" it looks to their eyes. In reality, a little warmer tint does a lot better for color rendition which means a better identification ability. The blue/white tends to wash things out and make it harder to distinguish things and looking at colors closer in wavelength tend to be confused for each other.
    Yes. Warm/yellow tints are more "natural" and are preferred by light geeks for better color and contrast rendition. Try lighting up actual areas with objects at various depths and distances.

Dennis.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Adrenaline_6 View Post
    i see, i was just really surprised when the tint was really yellow, almost like an incandescent light.

Feedback Score
    Is that an M600DF (the model that will accept an 18650 battery)? If so, the beam pattern is normal, IMO. Yes, they're brighter than previous gen M600s but the candela is the same or lower; they're very floody lights. That's not necessarily bad in the right context but it was certainly an interesting choice in the current market. I've had a couple and they were both a warmer tint than other lights I've owned.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rockapede View Post
    Is that an M600DF (the model that will accept an 18650 battery)? If so, the beam pattern is normal, IMO. Yes, they're brighter than previous gen M600s but the candela is the same or lower; they're very floody lights. That's not necessarily bad in the right context but it was certainly an interesting choice in the current market. I've had a couple and they were both a warmer tint than other lights I've owned.
    no this one only take 2 cr123 batteries. good to hear the yellow tint and beam pattern are not wrong. thanks for all the input.