Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Hk vp9

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightstalker865 View Post
    Figured I would embed the video for easier viewing.

I’m a huge fan of the VP9 and have had zero issues running the gun hard in the rain. MAC lost a lot of credibility in my mind with his VP9 “stunt” video. Funny how that came out right when he was being wined and dined by CZ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    P10c hype train slowed down so much.

I think a lot of influencers were on the bill for that one. Look at the guy from ct solutions, as soon as 2020 hit, he dropped the p10c and went with STI. Instructor zero did the same thing. You don't see it mentioned much anymore.

I owned one for a week, before I even took it to the range it locked up on me during disassembly. Sold it, wasn't excited about the mags either.

Fun fact, the p10c fits and operates perfectly in a VP9 with light safariland

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SmugPePe View Post
    I have no dog in the fight, but I will throw in something that may be of your consideration. It should have already been solved long ago however I am skeptical of any new things, I always let the others to be guinea pigs for me.

However, what absolutely killed vp9 for me is how, at least when they came out they would fail to fire as soon they are wet. As soon any water got into the striker channel. This is absolutely aggravating for me for I know, for this to happen, HK was negligence with the development of this pistol. This flaw would be discovered with any basic torture test a simple shooting in rain or dipping pistol in water. The neglect of HK to not have the striker or the striker channel grooved so it would not be hydro-locked in the channel or having the resistance of water presence in striker channel being sufficient to slow down the striker's velocity thereby momentum, preventing it from impacting primer with sufficient energy. As I understand it, with hammer-fired the pin can be loose in the channel and the hammer can have a lot of power, enough that it overcome any water that can fit into the firing pin channel and in many cases solid foreign matters. But with strikers, it may be required for the striker to be tighter in it's channel so the gun would be safer and trigger pull would be more consistent as opposed to striker having slop in the channel and having slightly different angle and position in the channel with every firing, the trigger firing sooner or later than expected. Think. The striker being up against the ceiling of the channel for one firing (shorter trigger pull) then next firing the striker is lower in the channel(longer trigger pull). In this case, if design limitation calls for it, HK should then have the striker made of top-grade steel or titanium and grooving or fluting it and possibly increasing the spring force behind the striker at cost of "nicer trigger than Glock". So the water can freely move past striker as it fire.

At the time, the VP9 appears to me, equivalently to say Wilson combat making piece of shit liberator pistol to appease drooling retard peasant masses who at first hate Wilson combat calling them overpriced and so on then fall over themselves clamoring for cheap POS pistol with "WILSON COMBAT" written on it and feel as if they belong to the club!(oh man! I chuckled as I write that.) At time Vp9 does not feel like it shares the linage of previous HK pistol of bulletproof reliability. HK damaged their reputation with me with vp9.

However, nowadays my view is, as long they revisit it, making vp9 a solid reliable pistol to the level of at least 60% reliable as USP then it's a go from me barring another design failure.

I tried to find few video I saw of vp9 failing to fire when wet only managed to find one, it's from MAC. It's linked below, skip to 2:48 to see the pistol dropped into a mostly clear water puddle and stepped on few times then picked it up and fire it until it fails a few times. Since this subject is brought up, I throw in this, I believe I remember that vp9 is not an only striker-fired pistol that fails when wet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOu5ZGfgtVk

I demand absolute reliability from all of my tools and equipment.
    I disagree, after I was reading all those tests years ago I tried the myself with the two I have by dropping them in my creek with full mag loade chamber. They both fired even with sand getting in.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SmugPePe View Post
    I have no dog in the fight, but I will throw in something that may be of your consideration. It should have already been solved long ago however I am skeptical of any new things, I always let the others to be guinea pigs for me.

However, what absolutely killed vp9 for me is how, at least when they came out they would fail to fire as soon they are wet. As soon any water got into the striker channel. This is absolutely aggravating for me for I know, for this to happen, HK was negligence with the development of this pistol. This flaw would be discovered with any basic torture test a simple shooting in rain or dipping pistol in water. The neglect of HK to not have the striker or the striker channel grooved so it would not be hydro-locked in the channel or having the resistance of water presence in striker channel being sufficient to slow down the striker's velocity thereby momentum, preventing it from impacting primer with sufficient energy. As I understand it, with hammer-fired the pin can be loose in the channel and the hammer can have a lot of power, enough that it overcome any water that can fit into the firing pin channel and in many cases solid foreign matters. But with strikers, it may be required for the striker to be tighter in it's channel so the gun would be safer and trigger pull would be more consistent as opposed to striker having slop in the channel and having slightly different angle and position in the channel with every firing, the trigger firing sooner or later than expected. Think. The striker being up against the ceiling of the channel for one firing (shorter trigger pull) then next firing the striker is lower in the channel(longer trigger pull). In this case, if design limitation calls for it, HK should then have the striker made of top-grade steel or titanium and grooving or fluting it and possibly increasing the spring force behind the striker at cost of "nicer trigger than Glock". So the water can freely move past striker as it fire.

At the time, the VP9 appears to me, equivalently to say Wilson combat making piece of shit liberator pistol to appease drooling retard peasant masses who at first hate Wilson combat calling them overpriced and so on then fall over themselves clamoring for cheap POS pistol with "WILSON COMBAT" written on it and feel as if they belong to the club!(oh man! I chuckled as I write that.) At time Vp9 does not feel like it shares the linage of previous HK pistol of bulletproof reliability. HK damaged their reputation with me with vp9.

However, nowadays my view is, as long they revisit it, making vp9 a solid reliable pistol to the level of at least 60% reliable as USP then it's a go from me barring another design failure.

I tried to find few video I saw of vp9 failing to fire when wet only managed to find one, it's from MAC. It's linked below, skip to 2:48 to see the pistol dropped into a mostly clear water puddle and stepped on few times then picked it up and fire it until it fails a few times. Since this subject is brought up, I throw in this, I believe I remember that vp9 is not an only striker-fired pistol that fails when wet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOu5ZGfgtVk

I demand absolute reliability from all of my tools and equipment.
    Ive shot my vp9 in the rain several times and it ran fine. My vp9 feels just as good as my hk45, p30 and usp pistols and is just as reliable. No difference in build or finish quality.

Also you do realize that all the hk pistols have dropped in price which puts the vp9 only a little cheaper then the rest. I can buy a p30 for the price of a vp9 nowadays.

Honestly you spent an hour writing your post about how the vp sucks based off a bad video review. Ive seen every pistol out there fail, ive seen glock and m&p’s fail.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by dylank0723 View Post
    If there’s a thread on this already I apologize as I couldn’t find one that was fairly recent. What’s the general consensus on the vp9 these days? Especially In comparison to Glock. I know Glock has the better aftermarket support and etc, just looking to try things out. I’ve shot plenty of glocks and the P30 and like them, just have no experience on the vp9. On paper it seems like the better mouse trap for the money (i don’t mind a stock Glock, however I pretty much always replace the trigger and do some grip work so price is closer the vp9 in the end). Thanks !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Same has it's been since the last threads, excellent pistols, few to no complaints by those who own them and put many rnds though them down range. The choice of many a BTDT type.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    That MAC video is probably the number one reason why these pistols aren't as popular as they should be, and it's honestly a shame.

Now, I'm not saying the test was rigged, but he does seem to have the worlds worst luck with firearms..

I've put a few different VP9's through my own unscientific test and all of them performed very well (All 9mm with and without the upgraded .40 recoil spring).

I've thrown them in ice cold water in the winter. Even had to break the ice on the pond to get them in.

I've burried them in dirt and sand.

I've burried the mags separate of the gun, then inserted a dirty mag into a dirty gun.

I've droped them and burried them in mud.

The only time I've outright ma
    de them fail is completely submerging them in thick mud. I am 100% confident no pistol in existence would have faired any better.

VP9's are fantastic pistols. Don't let one persons questionable review sway you.
    Last edited by Rogue556; 05-19-20 at 14:09.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogue556 View Post
    That MAC video is probably the number one reason why these pistols aren't as popular as they should be, and it's honestly a shame.
    And it didn't phase me in the least, even accepting the vid on face value. I'm not SOF ninja secret squirrel who is rolling around in muddy water followed by throwing my pistol against a tree, and neither is 99.5% of those who will carry a VP9. For my needs, who I am, etc, the Vp9 was the right choice, due it's great ergo, trigger, paddle release, accuracy, and reliability. If the channel is legit the reason it may be less reliable than say a Glock 17 or 19, for $20, you add the replacement that covers the channel. I did that for chits and giggles.

If if I was going to war, where ergos, trigger, sites, etc are secondary importance to absolute reliability under the most crappy of situations, I'd take the Glock only because it's vetted vs the Vp9, and is a simpler design I believe as some feel HK has a tendency to over engineer some designs.

Maybe, the Glock has the edge under the worst possible conditions to the Vp9, I don't know, and also don't care much as it does not apply to me and any real sense.

Knowing various who have shot the chit out of them with zero issues, my putting 2k+ through without issues, the follow up vids that didn't have issues, and the final straw that LAV from what I'm told CCW a Vp9, and also gave it a glowing review when it came out, meant all good for the Vp9

Having said that, if the ergos, trigger, sites, etc of a Glock does not bother a person, then get the Glock and be done with it. One should also look up problems had with recent Gens of Glocks, that have lead to the "Glock Perfection" thing pretty much being debunked too.

Finally, Having seen that Glock will blame problem pistols on "user error" then quietly fix them leaves me not wanting to give them my $.

I recall well the .40 fiasco for which they never admitted any blame yet after their rush to produce .40 pistols saw them failing, they beefed up the chambers.
    Last edited by WillBrink; 05-19-20 at 14:21.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    I've heard that an upgraded recoil spring was introduced into the VP9. Anyone about when this phased in?

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    OP,,, little more VP9 info here..... https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...-some-cool-kit

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Slater View Post
    I've heard that an upgraded recoil spring was introduced into the VP9. Anyone about when this phased in?

When they brought out the VP9 Tactical. As far as I understand it’s not really an *upgraded* spring but the same spring they use in the VP40. Shortly after introducing the Tactical model with the stiffer spring it would became standard for the entire VP9 series.
    I have a late 2014 production VP9 that has the original lighter, red colored spring. Although sometimes the gun can seem like it’s a bit undersprung it’s never caused me any actual function issues.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I never claimed "vp9 sucks". I did not spent notable time writing that post, I spent 15 minutes tops including looking for videos and forums posts that I saw years ago before giving up.

It seem that I need to clarify once again that my stance on vp9 is pretty much neutral. I never owned one or even touched one. I'm just bringing up the water test cause it is my only main concern with vp9 reliability as in I would suggest all vp9 user that rely their life on it, to consider performing water test on it to ensure their pistol is not affected. If you read my post more closely you might notice the tone pretty clearly show myself being objective. Regardless I confidently believe that if it was either fluke of first batch that would had been long fixed by HK already. I'm only realistically concerned for the early batch of vp9.

I agreed with rogue556 when he say it seem MAC have worse luck with guns. It's rather exceptional statistically. It did arise suspicion but I concluded MAC's integrity to be intact. But I believe such thing can happen for worse and more bizarre coincident has occured, myself I have experience some of those bizarre series of coincidents.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast