Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: SHTF Rifle

Feedback Score

SHTF Rifle

After spending all most two decades in the Army carrying the M16 family of weapons and after owning many civilian versions of the platform, I wanted something that was more user friendly, smother, and easier to clean after a day of shooting. When thinking about all the times I fumbled to clear my rifle, I wanted a bolt lock and release on the right side of the receiver, so I used American Defense Manufacturing's (ADM) Ambidextrous UIC Stripped Lower Receiver, AD-UICLSBLK. ADM makes a nice piece of kit that is practical and makes the rifle a hell of a lot easier to clear the rifle. I looked at different triggers and decided upon the HiperTech's Hperfire Single Stage Enhanced Duty Trigger® Heavy Gunner. I honestly used this trigger because I wanted to try it out. The trigger is smooth and breaks around 5lbs. I'm not too fond of the sound and feel of the buffer and buffer spring dragging across a standard GI buffer's interior, so I went with a WMD Gun's NiB-X Nickel Boron buffer tube. At first I thought Nickel Boron was a gimmick. I am sold on the stuff. The spring and buffer glide in the buffer tube with no sound of friction. To get rid of the twang of the buffer and buffer spring, I went with a Spikes Tactical ST-T2 with crushed tungsten instead of weights slamming from one side to the other in a GI buffer. To ensure my recoil system is strong and my spring will last, I went with a Sprinco USA blue moly plated chrome silicon buffer spring. There is no noise at all from the buffer tube when I manually cycle the action, or when I am shooting. I finished the lower assembly with a Mission First Tactical Battlelink Minimalist Stock. I like the weight, look, and function of the stock. However, I will be most likely changing it for a B5 Systems Bravo Stock in the near future so I can have place for my chubby cheek to rest on.

For the upper receiver, I went with WMD Gun's NiB-X Nickel Boron upper receiver that has been cerakoted black. I took a while for me to decide on a bolt carrier group (BCG). At first, I looked at JP enterprise's Full Mass Operating System, then a bravo company USA MilSpec BCG. After some research and the fact that I wanted a carrier that was treated with either Nickel Boron or Teflon, I went with Sharps Rifle Company Balanced BCG that is Teflon coated. Unfortunately Sharps had some problems with their Bolts breaking due to heat treating in the past so I ordered a JP enterprise Enhanced Bolt due to their reputation and Silver Chromium Nitride finish. It's amazing how smooth my action is. The Teflon Bolt carrier glides effortlessly across the Nickel Boron upper with no friction noise, and it takes minutes to clean my BCG. I still run lubricant, but not Cleaner, Lubricant & Protectant (CLP) I used in the military. I use Mobil 1 V‐Twin 20W‐50 fully synthetic motorcycle oil on all of my firearms. I grew up riding motorcycles and like this oil. It works for me. For a charging handle, I went with a LWRC ambi charging handle because of the large pins they use for the charging levers and the heavy-duty construction. For my safety I went with a Battle Arms Development Ambidextrous Safety Selector because of the right side lever short enough not to interfere with trigger finger placement. I used a Magpul MOE SL grip to finish off the lower. When it comes to barrels, I like an old school cold hammer forged chrome lined barrel, so I went with a 16" Spikes Tactical CHF FN barrel with a mid-length gas system. For my gas tube, I went with a V Seven Weapon Systems Extreme Environment Gas Tube made from Inconel, and a Geissele Automatics Super Gas Block that I had pinned to the barrel. The muzzle brake is nothing special or flashy I found it at my local gun shop. I think I looked at handguards for days until I decided to go with a 12" Juggernaut Tactical with keymod. Like the trigger, I just wanted to go with a Juggernaut Tactical handguard because they are different. The handguard is heavy duty and fits my rifle's overall attitude.

As far as optics are concerned, I am currently using a Meprolight M21 with a triangle reticle. I picked this sight because of its service in the IDF and how robust the sight is. However, I am not happy how the reticle washes out when you shooting from a low light area into a bright foreground. I was running Magpul MBUS PRO Steel Sights for backups but I have removed them and are currently looking at fixed sights. I feel my rifle feels and functions in the way it was built to. The action is smooth and easy to clean. ADM's right side bolt lock and release works very well when clearing and changing magazines. The only cons of my rifle that I think of, is weight. Although I haven't weighed it yet, the rifle feels like it weighs as much as my PTR 91. So that's it, thank you for letting me post my build. If you think I can update the rifle without recreating it let me know. I am always open to constructive criticism.thumbnail_IMG_4951.jpgthumbnail_IMG_4948.jpgthumbnail_IMG_4949.jpgthumbnail_IMG_4950.jpg
    Last edited by Ellis7702; 05-18-20 at 22:22.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Sounds interesting.
    I’ll point out photos always enhance our experience.
    A true "Gun Guy" (or gal) should have familiarity and a modicum of proficiency with most all firearms platforms.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Genuinely not trying to be a dick, but that sounds far more like a hipster/trying to be different rifle than a SHTF rifle. I cannot figure out why you'd pick anything from Sharps or Spikes and anything with Nickel Boron over all of the other options out there. Perceived smoothness does not equal SHTF. If you want that thing to run no matter what, there are many brands that, if nothing else, have a lower potential failure rate based on internet reviews alone.
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    Genuinely not trying to be a dick, but that sounds far more like a hipster/trying to be different rifle than a SHTF rifle. I cannot figure out why you'd pick anything from Sharps or Spikes and anything with Nickel Boron over all of the other options out there. Perceived smoothness does not equal SHTF. If you want that thing to run no matter what, there are many brands that, if nothing else, have a lower potential failure rate based on internet reviews alone.
    This. I'm not seeing a SHTF rifle here. I would expect KAC, LMT and Geissele products instead.

Mine is a Triarc 13.9 with Radian, Geissele, Forward Controls, and Vltor parts throughout. It's a damned anvil, but doesn't weigh like one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    I do not see why OP's AR could not be an adequate to fairly good SHTF AR? I think that people always go towards the scenario that they are going to be in sustained fire fights, expending thousands of rounds, while abusing their rifles. Likely that most of us would be dead in short time if this were the case. SHTF can be very different for each of us. If we want to get picky, a 30-30 is more reliable than any AR and certainly would have a longer life.
    Last edited by Red*Lion; 05-19-20 at 06:27.

Feedback Score
    Well put, in my eyes a SHTF rifle is as versatile and practical as possible, and requires little maintenance.
    Last edited by Ellis7702; 05-19-20 at 06:42.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Red*Lion View Post
    I do not see why OP's AR could not be an adequate to fairly good SHTF AR? I think that people always go towards the scenario that they are going to be in sustained fire fights, expending thousands of rounds, while abusing their rifles. Likely that most of us would be dead in short time if this were the case. SHTF can be very different for each of us. If we want to get picky, a 30-30 is more reliable than any AR and certainly would have a longer life.
    Let us see, who should I listen to the guy 6,988 posts or the guy with 37? And really SHTF is going to be what it wants to be not what you want it to be so best to prepare for worse case scenario.
    “The Trump Doctrine is ‘We’re America, Bitch.’ That’s the Trump Doctrine.”

"He is free to evade reality, he is free to unfocus his mind and stumble blindly down any road he pleases, but not free to avoid the abyss he refuses to see."

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mack7.62 View Post
    Let us see, who should I listen to the guy 6,988 posts or the guy with 37? And really SHTF is going to be what it wants to be not what you want it to be so best to prepare for worse case scenario.
    Why the sarcasm? You can not accept differing opinions? What does post count really matter anyways. Just a reflection of time here on the forum.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Red*Lion View Post
    Why the sarcasm? You can not accept differing opinions? What does post count really matter anyways. Just a reflection of time here on the forum.
    I can accept differing opinions if they make sense, what I have a hard time swallowing is someone with decades of M16/AR experience who is bothered by spring noise and who wants to gimmick up his rifle and call it a SHTF solution when IMO SHTF screams for KISS. But YMMV.
    Last edited by mack7.62; 05-19-20 at 07:47.
    “The Trump Doctrine is ‘We’re America, Bitch.’ That’s the Trump Doctrine.”

"He is free to evade reality, he is free to unfocus his mind and stumble blindly down any road he pleases, but not free to avoid the abyss he refuses to see."

Feedback Score
    On to the next build.
    Last edited by Ellis7702; 05-19-20 at 16:44.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast