Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: SHTF Rifle

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Five_Point_Five_Six View Post
    Have they improved over the years? I bought a used Colt lower a few years back that had a Hiperfire trigger, not sure which model it was, but it felt like an average milspec trigger.

See above.

Maybe I'll order one and see how I like it, I have a lower that needs a trigger.
    You may have gotten a bad one, or you simply don’t prefer single stage triggers. The EDT 2 is significantly better than the average “mil-spec” trigger in both weight and feel. I’ve also found them to be 100% reliable in my samples. It won’t change your life or anything, but on a new gun that needs a trigger, its a perfectly valid choice. Its kinda like the MBT, in that it may be the best of its type for under a hundred.

All that said, I have not yet tried the Larue single stage yet; maybe its better, or not.

Edit: here are my more wordy thoughts on this trigger and others, if you get super bored.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?220849-Dry-fire-observations-comparison&highlight=
    Last edited by 1168; 05-22-20 at 10:36. Reason: Add link

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    You may have gotten a bad one, or you simply don’t prefer single stage triggers. The EDT 2 is significantly better than the average “mil-spec” trigger in both weight and feel. I’ve also found them to be 100% reliable in my samples. It won’t change your life or anything, but on a new gun that needs a trigger, its a perfectly valid choice. Its kinda like the MBT, in that it may be the best of its type for under a hundred.

All that said, I have not yet tried the Larue single stage yet; maybe its better, or not.

Edit: here are my more wordy thoughts on this trigger and others, if you get super bored.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...son&highlight=
    To be honest, I don't have a preference between single and 2 stage triggers, there are samples of each that I like and don't like.

As far as 2 stage triggers go, the Geissele G2S is probably my favorite 2 stage. Not because the SSA and SSA-E aren't better, I feel they are better in comparison, but not enough to make up for the price difference, especially when the G2S goes on sale quite frequently for $100.

I did not care for the LaRue MBT 2 stage. I installed it in my wife's rifle and she likes it, but I just didn't care for it. The single stage MBT is better in my opinion.

In looking at their offerings, I notice that Hiperfire puts an H on their trigger similar to Geissele putting a G on theirs. I do not remember the Hiperfire that came in that Colt lower as having the H. It makes me wonder if it were swapped out prior to him shipping it, which makes me feel bad because I sold it as a Hiperfire on a local forum.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by js8588 View Post
    Welcome to M4Carbine. The crew here 100% mean well but this isn't a forum that appreciates innovation or deviation from Mil Spec unless it's something Forward Controls puts out.

None of that was intended as a negative, just an observation.
    Forward Controls, or Knights Armament, LMT, BCM, Sionics, Geiselle, Larue, and many others, but like you said, it was an observation.

Andy

Feedback Score
    I'm not sure if there will ever be a true SHTF situation enveloping the entire country. A bit of social unrest somewhere , antifa type insanity in some cities, bad weather situations, hurricane, tornado, electric grid malfunction, name your badness. IF such an occurrence/events were to transpire, my current AR pistols (10.3" DD's) are more than adequate to deal with any "SHTF' which may develop, especially in my very urban area.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyLate View Post
    Forward Controls, or Knights Armament, LMT, BCM, Sionics, Geiselle, Larue, and many others, but like you said, it was an observation.

Andy
    Knights, Geissele, & LMT have military contracts. They're literally mil-spec. BCM gets a lot of flak around here, most of which I feel is well deserved since they may make a reliable rifle but accuracy is hit or miss (pun intended). Sionics is good, but I wouldn't really call anything they make innovative. LaRue...their handguard lockup system is unique, their gas block system is um...interesting (a word for it...it's proprietary, anyway). Mark LaRue does put out the best trigger for the $, no doubt about that. So, as I said, Forward Controls.

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by js8588 View Post
    Knights, Geissele, & LMT have military contracts. They're literally mil-spec. ... ... ... So, as I said, Forward Controls.
    Mmmmmm... KAC has I think two weapons (F2S, where are you...) in use by the military at this point, neither of them 5.56mm. Their URX4 handguard, ambi controls, gas system, etc etc, are certainly not “mil spec.” Geissele has a handguard or three with a big contract, so I suppose maybe that’s mil spec, but only the SSF could be considered designed for military use, maybe allegedly possibly perhaps the Maritime bolt catch. LaRue make scope mounts and tries to get contracts for other stuff. LMT makes a complete system used by other militaries, so does that count as mil-spec? They previously made receivers in use by the US military, if I’m not mistaken; but their MARS lower and 5.56 monolithic upper systems certainly aren’t ordered by US armed forces. BCM doesn’t have a single major military contract that I’m aware of, though ‘special people’ use them; even there, are the Mk2 upper, MCMR, enhanced LW barrels “mil spec?” Are Sionics’ nitrided barrels mil spec?

My point is that because something made by a company is used by the military does not make the manufacturer “mil spec” in general, nor does it mean they are not innovative or producing quality items otherwise. I’m not in any sort of procurement function, but it really seems like unless there is actually an NSN for an item, it truly could not be considered “mil spec.”

So, to semi-quote AndyLate, FCD, BCM, KAC, LMT, Sionics, Geissele, etc, are all brands that deviate from mil spec and are appreciated.
    “God doesn’t need your good works, but your neighbor does.” - Luther

Quote Originally Posted by 1168
    7.5” is the Ed Hardy of barrel lengths.

Feedback Score
    Wow this is still going, the SHTF platform must be highly debated. At any rate, I removed my Magpul Pro steal flipup sights and replaced them with a set of ROCK & LOCK Daniel Defense I found on Amazon. As you can tell I very rarely follow trends but in this case it makes since to me to have lower 1/3rd sights that are fixed compared to flip up sights. To fix the washout problem with my Meprolight M21, I found the Mepro 21 / Meprolight M21 Illuminator REM 21 (Reticle Enhancement Module) from Mako Group. At first I thought this was going to be some kind of China junk that you throw on the side of your optic. It honestly works good and looks like the optic came from the factory with the illuminator attached. I also looked over my rail and concluded there is no way for the rail itself to shift or loosen from the barrel nut. I suppose in a what if scenario anything is possible. However, the rail uses six 1/4x20 grade 8 mounting hardware that was red loctited. Enjoy debating my rifle, if anyone wants to test it I am game in Central Florida. Your buying the ammo and beer.

Lastly, if your having an emotional reaction to this build you will enjoy reading my future posts.
    Last edited by Ellis7702; 05-25-20 at 16:55.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Ellis7702 View Post
    Wow this is still going, the SHTF platform must be highly debated. At any rate, I removed my Magpul Pro steal flipup sights and replaced them with a set of ROCK & LOCK Daniel Defense I found on Amazon. As you can tell I very rarely follow trends but in this case it makes since to me to have lower 1/3rd sights that are fixed compared to flip up sights. To fix the washout problem with my Meprolight M21, I found the Mepro 21 / Meprolight M21 Illuminator REM 21 (Reticle Enhancement Module) from Mako Group. At first I thought this was going to be some kind of China junk that you throw on the side of your optic. It honestly works good and looks like the optic came from the factory with the illuminator attached. I also looked over my rail and concluded there is no way for the rail itself to shift or loosen from the barrel nut. I suppose in a what if scenario anything is possible. However, the rail uses six 1/4x20 grade 8 mounting hardware that was red loctited. Enjoy debating my rifle, if anyone wants to test it I am game in Central Florida. Your buying the ammo and beer.

Lastly, if your having an emotional reaction to this build you will enjoy reading my future posts.
    Mako/Fab Defense makes some good stuff. They also make some very cheesy stuff. None of it is Chinesium crap, though. Going to be investing in a set of their flip up BUIS shortly for a lightweight build I'm putting together. Why not Magpul MBUS? Because I prefer the look of the Fab Defense units.

Looking forward to your future posts on the rifle.

Also, you're*. 😉

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345